BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Hi All,
A few little things have come up... I managed to get my clutch back together and bolted in, gearbox back on and swing arm too plus final drive so it's looking more and more like something.
Problem: I'm not finding it easy to get the frame lined up with the bolts holes on the gearbox...
Also, identifying the right bolts is eluding me as I have a bunch of miscellaneous fixings and a few labelled boxes of bolts and fixings. Can anyone help with these two problems?

I attached my water/oil pump and ended up with two longer bolts (see image below). This was from a labelled box called water/oil pump bolts.

Image in Haynes is not 100% clear to me. Can anyone shed light?

How I am going to find the right fixings for other bits seems a challenge at this stage. Any tips welcome.



    

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
As far as sorting out fasteners, I have found the parts fiches at Max BMW very useful. The exploded drawings show the fasteners, and the parts list gives the size and type of fastener.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Point-Seven-five wrote:As far as sorting out fasteners, I have found the parts fiches at Max BMW very useful. The exploded drawings show the fasteners, and the parts list gives the size and type of fastener.
Great! Thanks!

    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Found this with referecne to the two longer bolts...
https://servimg.com/view/17702881/155

    

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Neal Cooper wrote:Problem: I'm not finding it easy to get the frame lined up with the bolts holes on the gearbox...
Did you follow the frame bolt tightening sequence as indicated in the BMW service manual?


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 68,000 miles
    

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
As Laitch says: back three first and then shim the front two - DO NOT try to pull them up without shimming the gap between the frame and the engine.


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Laitch wrote:
@Neal Cooper wrote:Problem: I'm not finding it easy to get the frame lined up with the bolts holes on the gearbox...
Did you follow the frame bolt tightening sequence as indicated in the BMW service manual?
4 and 5 were still in place, so the answer is no I'm afraid. 1 and 2 are almost lined up but tricky on your own. I hope this doesn't mean frame distortion or something like that...

    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Point-Seven-five wrote:As far as sorting out fasteners, I have found the parts fiches at Max BMW very useful. The exploded drawings show the fasteners, and the parts list gives the size and type of fastener.
Brilliant website!

    

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Neal Cooper wrote:4 and 5 were still in place, so the answer is no I'm afraid. 1 and 2 are almost lined up but tricky on your own. I hope this doesn't mean frame distortion or something like that...
What it would mean to me is unfastening 4 and 5, then refastening in the proper sequence starting with 1, 2 and 3.


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 68,000 miles
    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
In case you don't have a copy yet the BMW shop manual can be found at this link
http://bit.ly/new2kbikes


The two shiny water pump bolts need to be installed before you put the water pump cover on.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Laitch wrote:
@Neal Cooper wrote:4 and 5 were still in place, so the answer is no I'm afraid. 1 and 2 are almost lined up but tricky on your own. I hope this doesn't mean frame distortion or something like that...
What it would mean to me is unfastening 4 and 5, then refastening in the proper sequence starting with 1, 2 and 3.
Yes that sounds like a good plan! Thanks for writing.

    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@duck wrote:In case you don't have a copy yet the BMW shop manual can be found at this link
http://bit.ly/new2kbikes


The two shiny water pump bolts need to be installed before you put the water pump cover on.

Nice and clear! Thank you.

    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
I may be 'in the gutter' but I am 'looking at the stars'

The knowledgeable enthusiasts on here never cease to amaze me with their know-how and willingness to share it even with amateurs like me...

Been riding since 1983 and LOVE bikes as much or probably more than I love my work as an opera singer who travels all over the globe.

I love the fact that I am learning something each day though I wish I was a more capable and knowledgeable mechanic.

Thanks to you all for your input!
Neal

    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
So, now the question is who do we call you.....Die Meistersinger?

My K1100LT is called Wotan so you can see where I am coming from.....


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Alaska Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 58,645 now 87,050 miles
1983 K100RS 0011175 Fricka 29,000 miles Damn K Pox
    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Neal Cooper.....Fancy a bike trip to Vienna in May?...VPO Mahler 8.......11am Sunday 12 May........my daughters office [she is in London] manages Franz Welser-Most ...... seems I may have 2 tickets for it......


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Alaska Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 58,645 now 87,050 miles
1983 K100RS 0011175 Fricka 29,000 miles Damn K Pox
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Neal Cooper.....Fancy a bike trip to Vienna in May?...VPO Mahler 8.......11am Sunday 12 May........my daughters office [she is in London] manages Franz Welser-Most ...... seems I may have 2 tickets for it......
Siegmund heiss ich...und Siegmund bin ich... Or Tristan maybe. Siegfried OK too...
That's amazing! I may not be back from the Met by then as planning to stay over there for a week or so after the last Walkure (I'm understudying Siegmund for them)... But if I am going to get back sooner, that sounds fun! Mahler 8 is great! I sang it in Dusseldorf last year.


__________________________________________________
Determined to ride till I drop
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Laitch wrote:
@Neal Cooper wrote:4 and 5 were still in place, so the answer is no I'm afraid. 1 and 2 are almost lined up but tricky on your own. I hope this doesn't mean frame distortion or something like that...
What it would mean to me is unfastening 4 and 5, then refastening in the proper sequence starting with 1, 2 and 3.
I did as you suggested here and I managed to get all the bolts in except 4... But it's almost there.


__________________________________________________
Determined to ride till I drop
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Update from Balham division:

Water/oil pump sorted today.
Next job to complete is getting valve clearances right. Defeated by darkness today as garage work light failed on me.
Rear wheel attached to facilitate moving about. Handlebar attached to this end.
I'm surprised by the condition of the bike - low miles apparently. Don't know why it ended up in bits or being taken off road though...

Big things that are missing: EXHAUST, HEADLIGHT (round one needed), REAR BRAKE DISC... and a few other bits and bobs no doubt. No fairing bits but will keep it naked anyway. Oh yeah and no indicators.


__________________________________________________
Determined to ride till I drop
    

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Neal Cooper wrote:Oh yeah and no indicators.
Update from the ex-Cavendish Road division: I can sort that for you if you want OEM indicators. FoC - just pay the postage.


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@Dai wrote:
@Neal Cooper wrote:Oh yeah and no indicators.
Update from the ex-Cavendish Road division: I can sort that for you if you want OEM indicators. FoC - just pay the postage.
Ex Cavendish Road - just round the corner!! We're just off Bedford Hill.
That's very kind of you. Rear? I have no fairing - except for the round headlight nacelle at the sharp end.


__________________________________________________
Determined to ride till I drop
    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Neal Cooper wrote:
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Neal Cooper.....Fancy a bike trip to Vienna in May?...VPO Mahler 8.......11am Sunday 12 May........my daughters office [she is in London] manages Franz Welser-Most ...... seems I may have 2 tickets for it......
Siegmund heiss ich...und Siegmund bin ich... Or Tristan maybe. Siegfried OK too...
That's amazing! I may not be back from the Met by then as planning to stay over there for a week or so after the last Walkure (I'm understudying Siegmund for them)... But if I am going to get back sooner, that sounds fun! Mahler 8 is great! I sang it in Dusseldorf last year.

I love it. You must have been to the one I missed. I was at the M8 at the Proms in July.....Siegmund? Dr Marianus then? I had to skip the M4 at the Proms, it was my sons birthday. But same son got me an M4 in Budapest in 2009........I love buildings and went to investigate a beautiful building across from his apartment and ended up at an M4 being recorded by Ivan Fischer......one of the best out there.



I have tickets for the Valkyrie too, but they are at the live cinema broadcast here.


This is fun. Camping in France in 2015 [I take the K for camping trips] my English neighbours were rather nice and we got talking. Invited over for a cup of tea I asked how they had found the little village. He said he was to go to Canada for a masterclass and when his 'tutor' discovered he was coming from England he suggested they go to his place in France. My next question was what instrument and he said he had just retired as oboeist with CBSO. So I said give me a moment and went back to my tent. Came back with a few CDs and said you have entertained me on these then.....they were so shocked when I put a few Mahler cds in front of him. A few more lovers inside the K forum too.

Anyway enough of sidetracking......

Think I have a pair of rear indicators......


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Alaska Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 58,645 now 87,050 miles
1983 K100RS 0011175 Fricka 29,000 miles Damn K Pox
    

Neal Cooper

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:
@Neal Cooper wrote:
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Neal Cooper.....Fancy a bike trip to Vienna in May?...VPO Mahler 8.......11am Sunday 12 May........my daughters office [she is in London] manages Franz Welser-Most ...... seems I may have 2 tickets for it......
Siegmund heiss ich...und Siegmund bin ich... Or Tristan maybe. Siegfried OK too...
That's amazing! I may not be back from the Met by then as planning to stay over there for a week or so after the last Walkure (I'm understudying Siegmund for them)... But if I am going to get back sooner, that sounds fun! Mahler 8 is great! I sang it in Dusseldorf last year.

I love it. You must have been to the one I missed. I was at the M8 at the Proms in July.....Siegmund? Dr Marianus then? I had to skip the M4 at the Proms, it was my sons birthday. But same son got me an M4 in Budapest in 2009........I love buildings and went to investigate a beautiful building across from his apartment and ended up at an M4 being recorded by Ivan Fischer......one of the best out there.



I have tickets for the Valkyrie too, but they are at the live cinema broadcast here.


This is fun. Camping in France in 2015 [I take the K for camping trips] my English neighbours were rather nice and we got talking. Invited over for a cup of tea I asked how they had found the little village. He said he was to go to Canada for a masterclass and when his 'tutor' discovered he was coming from England he suggested they go to his place in France. My next question was what instrument and he said he had just retired as oboeist with CBSO. So I said give me a moment and went back to my tent. Came back with a few CDs and said you have entertained me on these then.....they were so shocked when I put a few Mahler cds in front of him. A few more lovers inside the K forum too.

Anyway enough of sidetracking......

Think I have a pair of rear indicators......
Ivan Fischer yes! And his brother Adam is doing a lot of Mahler in Dusseldorf - which is where I sang Mahler's 8th with him last July. Should be released on CD in mid 2019. Dr Marianus sections are technically very demanding - beautiful piece!
He conducts Wagner Days in Budapest too as you know I'm sure. I was there last May to take part in the Tristan production.
I listened to the Proms M8 on radio 3 live. Simon O'Neill sang the tenor part I recall.
Anyway, indicators are another matter.
Let us stay in touch re the trip to Vienna idea. There must be a message function on here?


__________________________________________________
Determined to ride till I drop
    

Dai

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Neal; there is a PM function at the bottom right of your profile next to the message. PM me with your address and I'll send you the indicators. They're the same front and rear, if you're still using the OEM headlight nacelle.


__________________________________________________
'83 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec
Others...
'78 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, '79 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,'93 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California,
'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum