BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Broke My Clutch Cable on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:39 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
Well,yesterday I was out riding.Haven't been able to ride for two weeks because I really messed up my leg in a work accident with a gas powered post hole digger.I was digging the last hole on this fence job when the auger bit hit a tree root and stopped .Well the motor kept going for the short time it took to react and hit the kill and I got my leg bashed good.But that's life.So yesterday I'm out riding enjoying it,the bike is running great when I shift from second to third leaving this intersection when the lever just went dead. Managed to get it to a customers house about 2 miles away with out having to stop so it's in a secure location.Ordered TWO cables so I can put in a spare and be able to fix this quick on the road next time. Today my friend Paul will come by with his trailer and we'll load her up and drag her home for me to fix . Picked up this tip about the extra cable in place here and am glad I took note. Thanks for all the help over the past two years ! Ed

2Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to hear about your leg and the cable.

When you install the new one, put a bit of spline lube on the barrel at the lever end. The moly can't hurt. I keep a small oil can near my bikes and put a drop on the barrel about once a week to make sure it's lubricated and can't twist in the lever.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Just curious but how/where did it break?

I carry spare clutch and throttle cables in my bikes. And a long piece of wire so that I can tie it to the old cable and then use it to pull the "new" cable through.

If you carry spare cables then the old ones will never break. (It's a corollary of Murphy's Law that any part that you carry a spare of will never break down.)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Regular lubing of both pivots and adding a grease nipple to the clutch arm will extend cable life. I also use a PTFE lubricant on the inner cable and carry a spare. The spare cable has been used twice on mates bikes, who don't bother to carry spares. Broke My Clutch Cable 161205
Regards Martin.
Broke My Clutch Cable Clutch18

5Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:44 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Adding a clutch arm zerk doesn't hurt but is overkill if you ask me. I've taken a lot of these bikes apart and found that even if the bearings in the clutch arm are seized on the pivot rod that the pivot rod will still rotate and not put up much, if any, rotational resistance.

JMHO. YMMV.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

6Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:41 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
@duck wrote:Just curious but how/where did it break?

I carry spare clutch and throttle cables in my bikes. And a long piece of wire so that I can tie it to the old cable and then use it to pull the "new" cable through.

If you carry spare cables then the old ones will never break. (It's a corollary of Murphy's Law that any part that you carry a spare of will never break down.)
It broke at the botton as far as I can tell.I haven't really looked at it yet.Just got her home last evening and I'm working so time is a problem right now.What I'm wondering is if I can replace the cable without taking the whole motorcycle apart .I did buy two new cables that should be here on Thursday . I'm going to look at the bike tonight when I get home from work to see what happened down there.

7Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:45 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
@duck wrote:Just curious but how/where did it break?

Tell me more about pulling the new cable thru PLEASE ! I'd be very happy if I can avoid taking off the gas tank.

8Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
For the clutch cable, disconnect it at both ends and then just tie a three foot piece of wire (or paracord) tightly to the rear end of the old clutch cable. Then use that to pull the new cable through. It make take a little wiggling and a bit of patience but you'll be able to pull it through along the proper routing path.

The throttle cable can be a bit more difficult since you need to get it seated in the holder above the throttle bodies.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

9Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks ! I'm going to try this as soon as the new ones arrive later on this week.With any luck I'll be back on the road for the weekend. This is a big help !

10Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:51 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I don't understand why you don't want to remove the fuel tank. That makes the job infinitely easier. You don't have to remove any fairing parts, just the seat, which is no big deal.

Even if you just lift the tank on the fuel lines it will make the cable replacement easier.

When you attach the paracord to the old cable. Wrap some electrical tape over the knot and the cable fittings to streamline them. That will help them slide over anything that tries to shag them. When I did mine, the hardest part was at the left rear corner of the tank where the cable and a bunch of wiring go between the frame and the electrical box.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

11Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
I didn't want to disturb the fuel lines and all that stuff ,that's why but if I just have to raise it some to move the cable along that's fine.This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for so thank you ! Ed

12Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 pm

JSFR80

JSFR80
I agree with point seven five. I changed the clutch cable on my k100lt by taping the new cable to the old one and feeding it through without removing the gas tank but it was kind of a pain. The next time I'll take the tank off.

13Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
When I got my Brick it actually came with a length of paracord in the tool roll. I've used it twice on mates bikes but I did lift the back of the tank which made it easier. There are a couple of ways to make tank clip removal easier make a hook with a finger loop and store it, attach a cable tie to the clip and trim it at a convenient length or make your own clips with a longer pull tab.
Regards Martin.

14Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:03 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Of course, using the pull through method is only good if the previous cable was routed correctly (blame the previous owner) and hasn't been tie-wrapped to the frame anywhere. I just replaced my clutch cable (broke immediately before my grand tour of Scotland), pulled through the spare (a used spare) and was on my way.

Now the clutch on Heidi has always been noticeably stiffer than that on Gretel and it takes considerable effort to pull the clutch lever - gives rise to hand fatigue when riding 8+ hours a day. It was only when I got back and while trying to help a new forum member in my locality with his complaint of a stiff clutch that I investigated further. Turns out that Heidi's clutch cable was routed down the wrong side of the bike which led to tight spots. Off with the lower left fairing, off with the tank (so much easier with the tank off) and in with a new clutch cable. Oh my goodness - what a difference! Heidi's clutch is now as smooth as silk and as light as a feather (just like Gretel's) and it takes virtually no effort at all to change gear. I have kept the old cable (used one) as an emergency spare, although it doesn't move as freely as it should - probably as it has been kinked somewhere along its length due to the incorrect routing.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurancewrite-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red) (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike). June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

15Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
I'm probably going to bite the bullet and pull the tank off to change this cable. Your theory about what happened to the cable when the forks compressed sounds correct . I want to have a look around under the tank to check that nothing else got hurt or pulled loose . Thanks for your input and the input from everyone else here.

16Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:58 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
What is the correct path for the cable? Mine runs out of the clutch perch, around the right side of the triple tree, turns to the left side over and to the rear of the air cleaner housing and then on down to the clutch arm (which has the grease nipple up-grade). Way too stiff for my liking but it has always been that way and I guess I consider it 'normal'.

17Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty clutch on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:35 am

caveman

caveman
Silver member
Silver member
@Woodie wrote:What is the correct path for the cable? Mine runs out of the clutch perch, around the right side of the triple tree, turns to the left side over and to the rear of the air cleaner housing and then on down to the clutch arm (which has the grease nipple up-grade). Way too stiff for my liking but it has always been that way and I guess I consider it 'normal'.
That sounds like the right path to me Woodie! Have you lubed your transmission input spline? That has made a big difference on the bikes I have worked on.

18Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:35 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
@Woodie wrote:What is the correct path for the cable? Mine runs out of the clutch perch, around the right side of the triple tree, turns to the left side over and to the rear of the air cleaner housing and then on down to the clutch arm (which has the grease nipple up-grade). Way too stiff for my liking but it has always been that way and I guess I consider it 'normal'.
Now there's a question - what is the correct route? Your description sounds like the route Heidis was run...(maybe I cursed the PO too quickly?). However, it was quite a tight fit which suggests to me that the bend radius of the cable in places was too tight, impeding the feee movement of the inner cable and making the clutch heavy to operate.

I have now run her clutch cable from the clutch lever, down between the instrument console and dash pad, looping back in-between the forks and between the upper and lower triple trees, through the cable moulding on the left hand side (by the steering lock), under the fuel tank - following the inside edge of the left hand frame, emerging under the frame by the fuse panel and then down though the (annoyingly) only just big enough hole and onto the clutch actuating arm.

I had previously changed to clutch actuating arm needle bearings, thinking that they were responsible for the heavy operation. I got some improvement, but the clutch operation still felt too stiff to be right. With the cable routed as described above, it is now lovely and easy to operate - and should last longer too!

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurancewrite-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red) (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike). June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

19Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty The right path? on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:02 pm

caveman

caveman
Silver member
Silver member
@Born Again Eccentric wrote:
Now there's a question - what is the correct route? Your description sounds like the route Heidis was run...(maybe I cursed the PO too quickly?). However, it was quite a tight fit which suggests to me that the bend radius of the cable in places was too tight, impeding the feee movement of the inner cable and making the clutch heavy to operate.

I have now run her clutch cable from the clutch lever, down between the instrument console and dash pad, looping back in-between the forks and between the upper and lower triple trees, through the cable moulding on the left hand side (by the steering lock), under the fuel tank - following the inside edge of the left hand frame, emerging under the frame by the fuse panel and then down though the (annoyingly) only just big enough hole and onto the clutch actuating arm.

I had previously changed to clutch actuating arm needle bearings, thinking that they were responsible for the heavy operation. I got some improvement, but the clutch operation still felt too stiff to be right. With the cable routed as described above, it is now lovely and easy to operate - and should last longer too!
Well BAE,

You posted at the same time as me! So after reading your response it forced me to get off my lazy arse and go down to the garage to take a look. All five Ks in my garage route from clutch perch between instrument panel and dash pad down through trees on right side of steering stem crossing frame (under) at air box dropping down to actuator arm beside choke cable. Of coarse this doesn't mean it's the correct path it just means I'm consistent!

Sorry Yamma, don't want to highjack your thread!

Last edited by caveman on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

20Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks boys - Cavemen glad to see you are safe and sound back home - and I think I will pull the tank and route it as you describe BAE. I think the way I currently have it seemed 'logical' when I was reassembling everything but my logical is definitely not German logical and is probably why the pull is so stiff. I have lubed the splines a mere 12k kms ago and so I hope this isn't the cause of the resistance.

Last edited by Woodie on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To make gibberish less gibberish)

21Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:18 pm

volador

volador
YG PM sent

22Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:37 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
You didn't hijack my thread you posted info that I needed and hadn't asked about yet so thanks Caveman

23Back to top Go down   Broke My Clutch Cable Empty Re: Broke My Clutch Cable Yesterday at 9:12 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Off with the tank today - repetition is the mother of all learning - and I cleaned, lubed and re-routed my clutch cable. Man what a difference!! (though that might be mostly from flushing and lubing the cable). I think re-routing the cable down the left side has really made a difference since I don't ever remember the clutch being this smooth and easy to pull. Thanks YG and BAE for posting this.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum