BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
I have the new cables and ready to pull them thru .What I need to know is should I lubricate this new cable? I worked on my friends R80 a few years back replacing the throttle cables and the service manual said no lube because it can swell the inner liner and ruin the cable.I'm wondering if this holds true for the K100 clutch cable or if I can hang it and drip oil with moly additive in until it comes out the other end like I do on my other bikes.

2Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:01 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
No lube in the cables.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Because the cables are Teflon lined (PTFE) they aren't supposed to require lubricant. Some lubricants will cause the liner to break down and lessen the life of your cable.  However I have lubricated mine with a PTFE lubricant for the last 20+ years. I have done 165,000 Km's and only just replaced my throttle cable for the first time. I'm still running my OEM clutch cable, which gets all pivot points and nipples lubed regularly. I have also fitted a grease nipple fitted to the clutch arm. 

When I lubricate my cables I also flush them with the PTFE lubricant and have observed fluid coming out as being contaminated and running black initially. Whether I have extended the life of my cables by using a PTFE is probably open to debate, but I believe so and will continue to lubricate.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:44 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
Thank you Martin I will buy some PTFE Lube tomorrow

5Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:03 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
The K cables have the same BMW lining that can swell if you put lube in them.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

6Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
YG if you wait till after Friday I'll try and get a definitive answer as to whether it's beneficial to lube a Teflon lined cable with PTFE lubricant. We have an industrial chemist a medical engineer and a ships engineer at the guild and I'll put the question to them. 
Regards Martin.

7Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:25 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It's my understanding that it's not actual brand name Teflon but rather a Teflon-like substance used for the cable linings.

YG: You have two cables.  You could always try lubing the one you put in and if that one does get sticky then you could swap in the unlubed one and have the lubed one as an emergency spare.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

8Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
I have covered over 80,000 miles on my K1100LT in all sorts of weather. All cables are original, never lubed, but certainly greased at the moving pivot points.

Mike

9Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:35 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
@duck wrote:It's my understanding that it's not actual brand name Teflon but rather a Teflon-like substance used for the cable linings.

YG: You have two cables.  You could always try lubing the one you put in and if that one does get sticky then you could swap in the unlubed one and have the lubed one as an emergency spare.
That is exactly what I was thinking only in reverse.I am leaning towards putting it in unlubed and if it fails in a short time lube the replacement. I'm just waiting for Martin to come back with his info tomorrow.

10Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:38 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
I always put a new clutch cable in any bike.

RT has done 60k miles on it since I put it in
K1100 has done 36k miles since I did it.

Never lubed the cable but 3in1 oil lives by the bike and gets put on the nipple every week.

1983 K100RS 0011175 Fricka 29,495 miles Damn K Pox

11Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:48 pm

volador

volador
@MartinW wrote:YG if you wait till after Friday I'll try and get a definitive answer as to whether it's beneficial to lube a Teflon lined cable with PTFE lubricant. We have an industrial chemist a medical engineer and a ships engineer at the guild and I'll put the question to them. 
Regards Martin.

Life is complicated enough, don't over complicate the Brick

Last edited by volador on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

12Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:01 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
I've come to the conclusion that this cable failure was a direct result of the tank slapper I went into at 70 MPH on the Long Island Expressway after hitting an 8 inch deep 2 foot long and 12 inch wide pot hole that damn near got me killed last month.The cable didn't break at either end it broke 18 inches in up near the front of the tank.The bike violently shook and it's a miracle I didn't go down and get run over by the fool 4 feet behind me wanting to go 80.

Last edited by yamaguzzi on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

13Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
Man, Yamaguzzi, that was some pothole you hit!  Bad road maintenance and aggressive drivers can really call into question whether our passion is a rational sport.  I consider myself very fortunate to live in an area with relatively few people.  However, the strong population growth we have experienced recently has also brought a noticeable increase in the problems you cite.  Be very alert if you wish to ever be an old motorcyclist!

While riding in Northern California I too hit a huge pothole.  It bent the front rim. I was lucky that the tire didn't deflate from the blow; I didn't go down.  There was not the slightest hint of the bike going into a tank slapper (it was my K100RS) so you may want to go over the adjustment of the steering stem bearings to be sure they are as they should be. 

I'm glad you came out of that okay.

14Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:49 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Missing two of the three so I'll try again on Tuesday. However I had a talk to the ships engineer and his one legged parrot. The general consensus between the two of them was that seeing as though I'm still running on my OEM cable I should continue to lube. The parrot added that liquid PTFE wasn't probably common back then. The engineer actually adds powdered PTFE to his car engine and gearbox and offered to give me some to try. I'm not sure if I want to go that far. 
Regards Martin.

15Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
@brickrider2 wrote:Man, Yamaguzzi, that was some pothole you hit!  Bad road maintenance and aggressive drivers can really call into question whether our passion is a rational sport.  I consider myself very fortunate to live in an area with relatively few people.  However, the strong population growth we have experienced recently has also brought a noticeable increase in the problems you cite.  Be very alert if you wish to ever be an old motorcyclist!

While riding in Northern California I too hit a huge pothole.  It bent the front rim. I was lucky that the tire didn't deflate from the blow; I didn't go down.  There was not the slightest hint of the bike going into a tank slapper (it was my K100RS) so you may want to go over the adjustment of the steering stem bearings to be sure they are as they should be. 

I'm glad you came out of that okay.
I'm already an "old" motorcyclist ! been riding 54 years and am 70 which is probably a major contributing factor in why I didn't go down when this happened.It was instinctive to hit the gas and hold on hitting this thing  straight on when I saw it . If I would have tried to miss it I wouldn't be here today but hitting the gas kept the stability and made recovering control possible.  The slapper only lasted for a few seconds .Luck played a major role too.The bike came thru fine with the exception of the clutch cable  ( I think ). The thing still tracks straight and handles as it should. I put on around 300 miles since this happened with no signs of anything wrong but the break in the cable . I had it on the highway last Sunday just before the cable let go and she was rock solid at 75mph.

16Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
@MartinW wrote:Missing two of the three so I'll try again on Tuesday. However I had a talk to the ships engineer and his one legged parrot. The general consensus between the two of them was that seeing as though I'm still running on my OEM cable I should continue to lube. The parrot added that liquid PTFE wasn't probably common back then. The engineer actually adds powdered PTFE to his car engine and gearbox and offered to give me some to try. I'm not sure if I want to go that far. 
Regards Martin.
I'm just going to put it together dry and see how it goes Martin. I've got a new spare that I'll carry from now on.

17Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Clutch cables do break but I consider cables to be a wear item and unlubed they seem to have a pretty good useful life and not particularly prone to having an inordinate MTBF. Given the warnings about the lining I don't lube mine. I do lube the ferules at each end however.

Not sure if this adage is used in other countries but in the US we have a saying:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Very Happy

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

18Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
Have you ever seen a clutch cable break like this ? This cable was in normal condition then I had the tank off  a year or so ago and never looked like this  until now. It took some real force to do thisClutch Cable Replacement Question Img_4311
Clutch Cable Replacement Question Img_4310

19Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:23 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I've never had a clutch cable break.  But I usually replace them when they get all worn and nasty up where they bend through the fork trees.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

20Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@yamaguzzi wrote:This cable was in normal condition then I had the tank off  a year or so ago and never looked like this  until now. It took some real force to do thisClutch Cable Replacement Question Img_4311
That timeline would make it a post tank slapper occurrence, wouldn't it?

21Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:42 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
I for one have got religion.  I ordered a spare clutch cable for the K1100LT.  Can't hurt and it may well have a happy upside if I suddenly need it out in the boonies.  Cool

22Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
@brickrider2 wrote:I for one have got religion.  I ordered a spare clutch cable for the K1100LT.  Can't hurt and it may well have a happy upside if I suddenly need it out in the boonies.  Cool

Though they have an easier life and don't fail as much as clutch cables, I also carry a spare throttle cable.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

23Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm

volador

volador
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51752&rnd=07242017

Clutch lever mount/ cable related parts to consider:

Clutch lever nylon sleeve bushing 32721451796

Clutch lever nipple holder 32721233550

Felt Ring (may or may not be included with OEM cable)  32721231610

Felt Ring (shaped more like a short rod) slides into the sleeve of cable adjuster

Clutch Adjustment URL

Curing Sloppy Clutch & Brake Levers

Do grease the nipples

24Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:46 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
@yamaguzzi wrote:Have you ever seen a clutch cable break like this ? This cable was in normal condition then I had the tank off  a year or so ago and never looked like this  until now. It took some real force to do thisClutch Cable Replacement Question Img_4311
Clutch Cable Replacement Question Img_4310
Reading your description of your pothole encounter, looking at where the damage to the clutch cable occurred and the fact that it only actually failed a little while later leads me to the conclusion that, as the forks compressed violently when you dropped into the hole, the cable was pinched against something hard enough to break several strands of the inner cable (in the same way that you can cut through cable with a hammer and cold chisel). Obviously, this will weaken the whole cable and then it is only a matter of time until, one by one the, other strands start breaking. The amount of damage to the outer cable also suggests that it may have remained deformed and that would have further increased the friction with the inner cable, increasing the load on the cable and exacerbating the eventual failure.

Good recovery though.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

25Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:14 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Full compression of the forks and a tank slapper probably put the cable in the steering stop which then acted like a wire cutter. 

I'm surprised none of the wiring harness was cut as well.  Have you checked it?

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

26Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:21 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
Everything is checked the new cable has been snaked thru and installed & adjusted top and bottom along with the side stand release.Never took the tank off the cable came right thru with no problems at all .All I have left to do is put the battery back in and the side covers on then I RIDE ! Thanks for all the help and advice . This group is the very BEST ! Ed

27Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I  caught up with the industrial chemist today and posed the question. He stated do not lubricate PTFE lined cable with any type of oil/lubricant other than PTFE lubricant and especially don't use aerosols on PTFE cables as some types of propellent can damage PTFE. I also asked about the acetone ATF mix as a penetrant and he said it works well. He then went on to explain that the acetone cools down the metal and causes a low pressure area in the thread which draws in the ATF. He did say that some of the later ATF fluids don't mix well and require the addition of a small amount of petrol to get them to mix. I did find a naysayer on the cable lube question, an electrical engineer/ motorcyclist who reckons PTFE cables should last for the life of the bike without lubricating. I'll catch up with the medical engineer next week.
Regards Martin.

28Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:04 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@MartinW wrote:I'll catch up with the medical engineer next week.
Isn't there a chef you could ask about that, too? Laughing

29Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:16 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
@Laitch wrote:
@MartinW wrote:I'll catch up with the medical engineer next week.
Isn't there a chef you could ask about that, too? Laughing
I hear that PAM works well to lube clutch cables. affraid

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R

30Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:52 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry don't have a chef, but I think we might have a rocket engineer. Clutch Cable Replacement Question 652573
Regards Martin.

31Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:12 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Gold member
Gold member
@MartinW wrote:Sorry don't have a chef, but I think we might have a rocket engineer. Clutch Cable Replacement Question 652573
Regards Martin.
Well Martin,All's good with my K again.I put it together dry,lubed the ends with the moly paste ,adjusted everything correctly , and she works beautifully . I snaked it thru using a wire and that also worked well. Went out for a 75 mile test ride on Sunday and the clutch works great and the trans shifts better than it ever has since day one but I'm still in need of a recipe for road kill squirrel so let me know when you find that chef

32Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Road Kill Squirrel Recipe on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm

norton71

norton71
Silver member
Silver member

33Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@norton71 wrote:Hope this helps Very Happy 

Clutch Cable Replacement Question 44271 cheers

34Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:03 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry YG no squirrels in OZ. Could possibly do you a Koala pie with a side order of fried Wombat.
Regards Martin.

35Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
I nearly had a red squirrel in Scotland. My brakes and road sense were better than it’s! I would have felt a bit guilty though as I didn’t have the beetroot leaves to do it justice on the stove!!

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

36Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
And why is it that English cuisine so often gets slagged?  This is as fancy and gourmet as it gets.   Very Happy

37Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Takes me back to my time in the army.  We had a guy in our platoon from deep in the Ozark mountains in Arkansas. 

For Christmas we were all getting baked goods from home, cookies and brownies.  His mom sent him a couple Mason jars full of pickled squirrel.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

38Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 am

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
Pickled squirrel?  You can't be serious!  Rolling Eyes

39Back to top Go down   Clutch Cable Replacement Question Empty Re: Clutch Cable Replacement Question on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Absolutely.  Those little suckers in the jars looked like something from high school biology lab.  You just had to be there to see him chewing the meat off the bones. Rolling Eyes

He told us they taste like woodchuck.

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: