BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

tristan285

tristan285
hey there,

I bought a project bike k100 from 1984, the engine on it wasnt working well anymore and it came with an extra engine from 1998. 

Im currently trying to swap all the wiring to match the ones with the frame and its been going good. 
ive stumped onto the ignition wires, the new engine has 3 coming out of it, and the old engine had 3 wires as well, but one was cut and not used. 

New engine
https://ibb.co/fqWC0gC

Old engine
https://ibb.co/DCb07WX

and the not used cable from the old engine
https://ibb.co/28zVHcV

So is the cut cable the same as the one with the blue connector in the new engine? (this one https://ibb.co/cCkMCN8 https://ibb.co/LN4RpJz )
i do not have an attachement to it for my frame wires.. so what does this cable do? its a big question for me. 
I hope you can help me!

2Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
tristan285 wrote: I bought a project bike k100 from 1984, . . . it came with an extra engine from 1998. . . .
In 1998 there were no K100 models. The 2V model production had ended around 1989 and the 4V K100 production had ended around 1992.

Have you made a typographical error?

3Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:42 pm

tristan285

tristan285
ah i did not know that!
i bought the project from someone who had no information at all about it, so its all guessing for me. 

i thought it came out of 1998 because of the label on this cable: https://ibb.co/cCkMCN8 
i do not know the production year of the engine now..

4Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
tristan285 wrote: I bought a project bike k100 from 1984, . . . it came with an extra engine from 1998. . . .
In 1998 there were no K100 models. The 2V model production had ended around 1989 and the 4V K100 production had ended around 1992.

Have you made a typographical error?

K100LTs were produced until October 1991.

The manufacturing date of the block is cast into the engine block.

Switched engines Engine11

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 pm

tristan285

tristan285
i will check the right production date tommorow! 
sorry for this mistake! 

but it shouldnt matter that much for the function of the wires right? 
so strange that i dont have a connections for the blue wire in my frame wires..

6Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Your old bike had a Jetronic ECU.  Is it possible that the new engine is a newer 4 valve or K1100 engine that may need a Motronic ECU and harness?

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

7Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Looking at your other post, your 'new' engine is an 8v too, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

The 'three' wires on your new engine will be:

1 The Hall sensor (black plug)
2 The oil pressure switch (single brown/green? wire, white plug)
3 And - possibly - a connector for a temperature gauge (blue plug)

You don't need 3

The chopped off wire on your old engine might have been for the same thing, but your bike doesn't have a temperature gauge?

Only a suggestion, becasue I've never had a K with a temp gauge, but I do think the sender is down in the oil/water pump somewhere?

Edit: BTW the picture of your old engine seems to show that only the Hall sensor wire was complete - although you can see the oil pressure switch connector & wire, the other end of it can't be seen where it should be under the T-shaped cover running down towards the oil pump.

8Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
chris846 wrote:I've never had a K with a temp gauge, but I do think the sender is down in the oil/water pump somewhere?

The temp sensor for the gauge replaces the drain plug at the bottom of the water pump.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

9Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:34 pm

tristan285

tristan285
chris846 wrote:Looking at your other post, your 'new' engine is an 8v too, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

The 'three' wires on your new engine will be:

1 The Hall sensor (black plug)
2 The oil pressure switch (single brown/green? wire, white plug)
3 And - possibly - a connector for a temperature gauge (blue plug)

You don't need 3

The chopped off wire on your old engine might have been for the same thing, but your bike doesn't have a temperature gauge?

Only a suggestion, becasue I've never had a K with a temp gauge, but I do think the sender is down in the oil/water pump somewhere?

Edit: BTW the picture of your old engine seems to show that only the Hall sensor wire was complete - although you can see the oil pressure switch connector & wire, the other end of it can't be seen where it should be under the T-shaped cover running down towards the oil pump.

thanks for clarifying! so there will be no problems with the compability! thats good. 
i dont think my bike will have a temperature gauge, so the wire will not be used i think. 

again, thanks for clarifying!

10Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Hey I'm only guessing!
But Duck's post is a big help.

Maybe check all three of the wires on your old engine - and see where they do - or don't - go to.
But the bike definitely only needs the Hall sensor wire (black plug) to run.

11Back to top Go down   Switched engines Empty Re: Switched engines Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 pm

tristan285

tristan285
yeah indeed, thanks duck! ill check it out. 
ill post an update when i work on the k100 again!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum