BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Quick fix,  circuit breaker, save your brick from burning. 00310
Here is an option to consider if you're interested in reducing the possibility of damage to your brick from a short circuit.

1- Remove the fuel injection relay wire from the positive of the battery (the thinnest of the three)

2- Snip the red ignition switch wire at the starter relay (the thinner of the two)  but leave enough length to add a connector in case you want to reverse the procedure.

3- Connect these two wires to the auxiliary terminal of a 15 Amp circuit breaker.

4- Run a new wire of good diameter from the battery positive to the circuit breaker battery terminal.

5- Bolt the circuit breaker where you like,  on top of the coil cover is a good spot, I think. Then tidy up the wires.

A "B-curve" DC circuit breaker is the best option.

Last edited by daveyson on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:36 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added photo.)

2Back to top Go down   Quick fix,  circuit breaker, save your brick from burning. Empty Quick fix Wed May 17, 2023 6:45 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Every now and then I think I should change this one day. With the circuit breaker installed as above, if it trips, the headlight cuts out. Not good if you're riding at night when it cuts out and you can't stop immediately, very unlikely, but less so now with the road safety barriers going up almost everywhere.

Another way, but doesn't cover as much of the circuits, is to not tap in before the load shed relay, but after, between the load shed relay and fuse 7.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Why not just use a 15A in-line fuse?

And if you want it to act as a resettable breaker than just use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/GLOSO-Manual-Profile-Circuit-Breakers/dp/B0852RYHYZ

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
i have the resetable ones fitted now , good idea , only problem is the fuse cover does not fit 

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I carry a set of resettable ones for tracing problems if one does blow. Easy to reset rather than replacing when tracing a short. I also have fuses that light up when they blow, easy to see at night.
Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down   Quick fix,  circuit breaker, save your brick from burning. Empty Quick fix Thu May 18, 2023 4:03 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Yep a fuse is good too, but a circuit breaker trips without damage, so agree the resetting fuses are good. If you can reset by turning them back on, that's not as good as a circuit breaker with a switch which can be used to turn on and off, so it's a manual switch both ways. Then it can double as a kill switch, and can also be used as a battery saving switch for those places where they can't ride during winter.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
firstle wrote:i have the resetable ones fitted now , good idea , only problem is the fuse cover does not fit 

Do you plan on crossing rivers like on a dual sport? The factory fuses aren't water sealed either. They just have a clear plastic cover with German on it that provides some minor protection from splashing.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

firstle

firstle