BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Electrical or fuel? Mon 22 Jul 2019, 11:06

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Lumpy running...no acceleration, and a wet/black plug in cylinder one.
Culprits I suspect are:
Coil
HT lead
But could be also a fuel issue to cylinder one.
What's my troubleshooting sequence?
Thanks.

2Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Mon 22 Jul 2019, 11:44

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hang on....wet/black plug means fuel IS getting through, so it's got to be electrical...?
So, I need to test the HT lead to no. 1 cylinder, and test the coil.
Presumably I'm taking resistance readings...I'll go and do the lead now, and I'll be back shortly. Shocked

3Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Mon 22 Jul 2019, 12:49

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
HT lead is kind of fluctuating..I have the metre set to 2000K, and I get an average of about 1700? Moves up and down though.
I have the coil in front of me now (once I cleaned it up!)...I'll mess about with it and keep an eye out for any pearls of wisdom.Question

4Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Mon 22 Jul 2019, 15:01

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
I thought the coils were one coil for two cylinders. It could be an HT lead failure or it could be an injector not closing. Clean up the injectors or move one to another cylinder. If the problem moves with it then the injectors need replacement.

5Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Mon 22 Jul 2019, 15:17

Arlina

Arlina
Good to know if it is a K75, 100 or 1100.

6Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Mon 22 Jul 2019, 15:57

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
K75S 1988 Three cylinders, single coil serving each cylinder. I've been looking around but I can't find any good info on how you go about testing this type of coil and its lead. Different to the K100.

7Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Mon 22 Jul 2019, 23:48

Arlina

Arlina
The easy way 1;
Get a multimeter and check in Ohms the coils. The bad one will present itself.

The easy way 2;
Switch "bad" coil to another cilinder. Ride the bike and check plugs afterwards.

The dirty way; Just get another coil and forget about this one.

Edit;
There is a good way to test the coils, some companies have special equipment for that.
Bad news, they're hard to find.

8Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Tue 23 Jul 2019, 00:57

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Although spark plug quality has improved they can still fail.
Regards Martin.

9Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Sun 28 Jul 2019, 13:32

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Turns out that an injector was the culprit. Pulled out the injector on the offending cylinder. Good clean up, and then gave it a few shots of brake cleaner. Re-installed, and popped in a bottle of injector cleaner. Seems to have done the trick, and seems to be smoother than before...but that could just be placebo!?!
An idiots guide to testing coils( both K100 and K75) would be a useful thing from someone who is well versed in electrickery....its my weakest knowledge area I guess.
Thanks for all the responses.

10Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Sun 28 Jul 2019, 13:44

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Run a couple of bottles of Techron through your tank, half a bottle per tankful. Bricks appreciated this treatment at least once a year.
Regards Martin.

11Back to top Go down   Electrical or fuel? Empty Re: Electrical or fuel? Sun 28 Jul 2019, 13:58

Arlina

Arlina
BooG wrote:Turns out that an injector was the culprit. Pulled out the injector on the offending cylinder. Good clean up, and then gave it a few shots of brake cleaner. Re-installed, and popped in a bottle of injector cleaner. Seems to have done the trick, and seems to be smoother than before..
Good to know Smile
Ride safe will ya?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum