BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Seized hex bolts Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:59 am

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Hi All

So, who knows how to free some seized hex bolts? I need to change the handlebar clamps and the bolts are seized solid,  Mad I haven't rounded them off (yet) but they won't budge, any tips before I get the Dremel out (I did intend to reuse the same bolts).

Also, still looking for a set of standard C bars if anyone has some. (just thought I would ask again).  Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks in advance 

Dave

2Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:06 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Heat followed by penetrant like Liquid Wrench or Kroll, followed by rapping on the bolt head followed by use of these.
Seized hex bolts Screen66

3Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:20 am

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Laitch

I've just ordered some oil and a set of the Bolt-Grip's, I'll let you know how it goes.

Many thanks

Dave

4Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:22 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
The bolts heads are recessed in the handlebar clamps so the Bolt Grips won't work there.

Penetrating oil and then heat the bolts with a small torch.

If you have a factory tool kit then that 6mm Allen with a cheater bar should work on the handlebar clamps.

If you have a good one of the right size, pounding a Torx bit into an Allen headed bolt is a also good way to free up seized Allen bolts.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:41 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:followed by rapping on the bolt head
Can't recommend this enough, always hammer it a bit (or a lot) to see if you can break the corrosion. It really works. Also for allen bolts it means the bit is seated properly in the head which can also really make a difference.

6Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:49 am

Poupy

Poupy
Silver member
Silver member
Snod Blatter wrote:
Laitch wrote:followed by rapping on the bolt head
Can't recommend this enough, always hammer it a bit (or a lot) to see if you can break the corrosion. It really works. Also for allen bolts it means the bit is seated properly in the head which can also really make a difference.
+1 Wink

Very few screws resist an impact hammer, something like that

7Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:46 am

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Hi All

Just to post an update.

I spent 4 days giving the bolts a squirt of penetrating oil and a couple of hits with a hammer (I use a large headed bolt upside down to prevent any damage to the hex heads) every time a passed the bike. I also bought a set of hex sockets (rather than Allen keys) as I wanted to make sure the fit was good and there was less of a chance of rounding off.

So, 4 days later I was able to undo them with no effort, I mean really no effort, it was almost as if they were loose. I think the oil helped but I have no doubt that it was the hammer strikes that had the largest impact (no pun intended), the sockets are also worth their weight in gold as you get a much better purchase and can give them a little knock to ensure they are seated all the way in.

I also bought a set of bolt grips but haven't needed them YET.

Thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated. 

Dave

8Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:51 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Can you get heat to the head of the bolt as Duck suggested?  Maybe the combination of heat, penetrating oil and a good rap with a hammer will break it free.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

9Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 am

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Woodie

I didn't need to apply any heat, a combination of oil and hammer strikes and they became loose. If you wanted to heat them I couldn't see it being a problem as long as all the cables are out of the way.

Cheers

Dave

10Back to top Go down   Seized hex bolts Empty Re: Seized hex bolts Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry Dave totally asleep at the wheel when I read only the first part of your post this morning (it started in grade school - "Andrew needs to focus more and pay attention in class." - probably on every report card I have received)  Very Happy

I'm glad you got them!

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum