BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Empty M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 pm

jorgbmw

jorgbmw
Just seeking some advice about integrating an m-unit blue into the wiring loom of a K100rs 01/1992. Specifically, how to connect the ignition out function. The m-unit diagram shows a circuit between the m-unit, the ingnition coil and the ignition unit. This K bike model doesnt have an "ignition unit" (so described). The 1992 model has an ignition output stage instead. Does anyone know if this component should be used in that circuit?

To be transparent I am a novice at wiring, in fact I am a novice at every skill required for this build.

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Can you post the wiring diagram for your m-unit?

jorgbmw

jorgbmw
M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Munit10

Thanks

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jorgbmw wrote:This K bike model doesnt have an "ignition unit" (so described). The 1992 model has an ignition output stage instead.
Your model has an ignition control unit; the Clymer diagram has an ignition output stage.

M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Screen72M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Screen73
M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Contro11

jorgbmw

jorgbmw
Thanks Laitch, so can I assume that they are the same thing? If so, would you know which pin I use to connect the m-unit?

Thanks

J.

6Back to top Go down   M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Empty Re: M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:47 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jorgbmw wrote:. . .  can I assume that they are the same thing?
No.

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Looking at that diagram, I think your M-unit just needs a signal from one of the coils (does the M-unit have a tacho?). In which case you might be able to simply tap into the black/blue wire from the ignition unit to coil 1.

Just to clarify, what does the arrow from the 'ignition unit' on the diagram point to - I can't read it.

Also, you bike is a 2v isn't it?

jorgbmw

jorgbmw
I believe it is a 16v as it is a 1992. the ignition unit in the m-unit diagram points to "breaker or sensor". The instructions make no mention of a tacho. As for connecting the coils to the m-unit I was intending on following the clymer diagram and connect both of the coils.

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Here's what your m-unit needs a tacho signal for:

"Tacho-input for adjustment of vehicle mileage with m.ride enables vehicle management with automatic instructions for maintenance tasks, condition of tires, chain, brake linings, oils, operating materials, spark plugs, etc."

So if you hook your m-unit up to the coils, your smartphone app will tell you when your brake pads are worn!
Then again, if you don't hook it up, I'm sure the bike will still run, and you'll manage.

You really need to work out if your bike is a 2v or a 4v/16v. If it's a 4v/16v then it'll probs say it somewhere on the bike. As Laitch has said, the 2v bikes have a standalone ignition module, which is located inside the frame triangle just behind the steering head. The 4v bikes have integrated ignition & fuel injection controlled by just one module. But this module then drives a slave ignition output stage, which is the electrical doohickey in the diagram above. Dunno where you'd find this, 'cause I've never owned a 4v. Happy hunting!

Either way, all your m-unit needs is a signal. Just tap into the signal wire to coil 1. On the 2v bikes this is black/blue. Dunno on the 4v bikes, but it's probs the same.

EDIT:

Mate, I've had another go at making sense of this m-unit thing. Seriously, the 'tacho input'  that it claims to have can't have any bearing on brake pad life etc. I suspect that somewhere in the translation from German/clueless marketing spiel, 'speed sensor signal' became 'tacho signal'. That's the only way it can make sense.

In that case, ignore what I've said about the m-unit requiring a tacho signal input. It probs doesn't (even though their own website says it does). The wiring diagram you've posted simply shows how the m-unit is used to provide the 12v supply to the ignition system, 'cause this is how it immobilises/switches off the bike as part of its function. If this is the case then things are different, but just as easy. I suggest you clarify this - what do the instructions say?

Sorry for the confusion, but 'tacho input' means, well...

10Back to top Go down   M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Empty Re: M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 pm

jorgbmw

jorgbmw
Just confirmed with the guy that sold me the bike that it is 16v.

11Back to top Go down   M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Empty Re: M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
In that case it's really simple, you just need to identify the 12v supplies from the ignition switch to the Motronic engine management module, and the ignition output stage, on your bike, and feed them instead with the 'ignition' output from the m-unit.

It might be that the ignition output stage gets its 12v supply from the Motronic module, in which case you only need to worry about the 12v supply, to the Motronic module.

Basically, all you're doing is using the M-unit to power up the ignition/fuel injection/engine management/whole kit and kaboodle, 'cause that's how it switches your bike on and off. The 'ignition' output on the m-unit is just a 12v output that comes on when you switch your bike on with your m-unit/smartphone app/Ipad/thought control/etc.

Can't help with the wiring on a 16v I'm afraid - no wiring diagram. But I'm sure somebody will be along to advise you.

Good luck with the brake pad wear!

12Back to top Go down   M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Empty Re: M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:25 am

jorgbmw

jorgbmw
Thanks heaps. That gets me a lot further than I was a few days ago. I have also posted the wiring diagrams which I have been working from.

http://forum.kforum-tech.com/members-upload/uploads/K100RSWiring_Engine.pdf

http://forum.kforum-tech.com/members-upload/uploads/K100RSWiring_frame.pdf

13Back to top Go down   M-unit blue installation K100 1992 Empty Wooow. Good Diagrams Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:11 pm

Roadstermac

Roadstermac
jorgbmw wrote:Thanks heaps. That gets me a lot further than I was a few days ago. I have also posted the wiring diagrams which I have been working from.

http://forum.kforum-tech.com/members-upload/uploads/K100RSWiring_Engine.pdf

http://forum.kforum-tech.com/members-upload/uploads/K100RSWiring_frame.pdf
Thanks

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum