BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty valve gear swap K75 K100 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:12 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi,

I have a valve chain which really needs replacing on my K75. I have a spare K100 motor on the floor. I'm fairly sure that I do not even want the know the price of completely changing the valve timing chain and associated gears, so I need to know whether the valve gear is identical and I can just swap between the two motors.

To save me stripping down the spare motor and stripping my road bike to check dimensions, can some knowledgeable person tell me if this is possible. Maybe if timing marks are a little different, or any gotchas.

many thanks.

2Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:31 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
If your spare engine is a 2V K100, then according to the parts fiche at MaxBMW, the part numbers for sprockets, chain and tensioner are identical. Have a look here at the full list then compare with a K100 of your choice using the site's Change Model function.

3Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:57 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
many thanks, that's just what I was looking for.  Time to get the spanners out.  Smile

4Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:55 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Here's a comparison of the part numbers from RealOEM:

valve gear swap K75 K100 AXFpySt

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Great help , thanks.

6Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only difference I have come across is the hydraulic tensioners are different. They are interchangeable and either will do the job well however IMO the K75 tensioner is a better design.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:41 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:The only difference I have come across is the hydraulic tensioners are different. They are interchangeable and either will do the job well however IMO the K75 tensioner is a better design.

What's hydraulic about the cam chain tensioner? They seem pretty mechanical to me.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

8Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:21 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It uses oil pressure to hold it tight while running and the ratchet is only there to prevent the piston receding all the way so the chain is not very loose at start up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

9Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:53 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks Rick, I'd noticed that the tensioner had a different part no. , your evaluation of the differences is very useful.

10Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:31 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
realoem shows $100 for the chain and another $200 for the three gear wheels, I knew I didn't want to look !

11Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:48 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Are the sprockets showing any signs of wear? I have never seen any with any visible wear.

12Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:26 am

Beamer

Beamer
Platinum member
Platinum member
Well, I'm on false trail here. I was sure that the cam chain was slapping around yet it seems fine. There is some wear on the back of the chain sprockets but as far as I can tell by squinting at it, there is no obvious asymmetry in the teeth. I changed the chain a couple of years back without changing the sprockets and was half expecting worn sprockets would have prematurely stretched the chain. Seems OK though.

My main problem is that it is running like a pig. That's not the valve timing but I thought it may be a contribution to poor tickover and was something which needed checking. If it's OK, I'm happy with that.

I ran it for a couple of seconds with the rocker cover off to check that the hydraulic tensioner was OK and did I not see any slackness in the chain.

I was surprised that just a couple of seconds running dropped quite a bit of engine oil, which ran out of the timing casing. Do you know where is that flowing from? Is that normal?

13Back to top Go down   valve gear swap K75 K100 Empty Re: valve gear swap K75 K100 Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The oil comes from the camshaft bearing caps closest to the sprockets and the tensioner by the bucket so the chain is fairly much running in a bath of the stuff.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum