BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cold start shenanigans -> Flooded plugs? Empty Cold start shenanigans -> Flooded plugs? on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 pm

ashthespy

ashthespy
Was in a bit of a hurry this morning, and didn't let my K warm up as usual before taking off, rode about two mins (with the choke/throttle advance) still in the halfway spot, only to realise i didn't have my rain pants on. Pulled to the side, but didn't manage to grab the throttle soon enough to save the engine spluttering and dying. Gave it a few flicks afterwards, but no luck. Pushed her back home.

Tried again in the evening, she spluttered a bit, but didn't catch. After a (quite a) few attempts with varying splutters but no real success, gave up and went back in.

From my reading around here, it sounds like I have gone and flooded my plugs?
I'll pull them out in the morning, but I doubt I can get fresh ones right away.

What's the best way to recover from (hypothetical) wet plugs? (No propane torch, but we do have a gas stove Very Happy

Thanks,

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
A faulty temperature sensor or sensor connector can also cause flooding. In a stuck by the side of the road situation you can get the bike to run albeit roughly. Remove the fuel pump fuse and start the bike it should run on the residual fuel in the combustion chamber. You will have to manipulate the throttle to keep it running. As the engine starts to die ram the fuse back in and manipulate the throttle. It helps if you have a helper to ram the fuse back in while you manipulate the throttle. I have managed to limp home twice after doing this but I had to manipulate the throttle at lights.
Regards Martin.

ashthespy

ashthespy
She's been running nice and smooth for 2k Kms now (aka since she's been mine) - so this is the first time this has happened.

I pulled the plugs this morning, and they were a bit wet - flamed them out and popped them back in, but she's not starting.
I quickly checked for spark when the plugs were out, and did see some pretty blue.

Now that I think back to yesterday again, I recall that when pulled up to the side, I switched to the side stand (always use the main) and a small bucket load of water came gushing out from the under seat box.  
Took the box out, cleared some debris that were blocking the drain holes, and now staring at the EFI module - it looks quite sealed and waterproof, but could water have snuck in there?

I'm now going to check the EFI plugs with a multimeter as per the EFI Troubleshooting guide.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum