BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 am

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
Looking for advice.

Last week I had a low speed drop which should have been a minor matter, but then it got complicated.

Patch of gravel approaching a roundabout had me sliding, tail out, towards a traffic island. Came to almost a complete stop then tipped onto right side. Damage to bike is not too severe but my right hand landed on a steel bolt protruding from the concrete island (there was formerly a "keep left" sign) and punched through leather glove and palm of hand! Ouch!! A little surgery and it looks like full use will return.

I had to accept a ride to hospital with the ambulance and left the bike to the mercy of a tow truck driver. Now becomes an insurance matter. As a result my local bike garage, Surfside Motorcycles, will need to source and supply the parts. Looking for a supplier of the following at "commercial" prices.

Maybe someone here has what is needed, otherwise I can point Surfside towards somewhere like MotoBins in UK. Any others?

Needed:
Both right hand indicators (Naked K100 1983)
Both right hand foot pegs (early model)
Right hand chrome crash bar (with mounting hardware)

Happy to say no other serious damage, only cosmetic (and hand!)

Last edited by Michael Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:04 am; edited 2 times in total

2Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:29 am

Basic2

Basic2
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Michael,
Ouch...
Hope both you and the bike have speedy recoveries.
Regards,
Richard.

3Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
That's gotta hurt.
Graham in Bega may have them, 
https://kmodelbeamerbits.com.au/bmwk-seriesshop.html

4Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:14 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Munich Motorcycles WA, The BM shop Stafford QLD. Or it might be worth giving your local BMW a try as they do have some bits available new.
Regards Martin.

5Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Do the Oz insurance companies have a repair value above which the bike will be declared a write off?

The UK certainly does, and it's easy on an older machine for the costs to escalate way above when buying new parts from main dealers.

Mike

6Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:22 am

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
@mike d wrote:Do the Oz insurance companies have a repair value above which the bike will be declared a write off?

The UK certainly does, and it's easy on an older machine for the costs to escalate way above when buying new parts from main dealers.

Mike

Yes indeed they do. Often bikes will be written off with quite minor, often cosmetic damage. I would certainly expect even these parts, from a dealer, would exceed the low insured value. I would hope to fit second hand parts 

The saving factor is the differentiation between economic write off and "statutory" write off.  The latter must be scrapped, the former may be repaired but the insurance company will not pay out more than the insured value.

The other factor here is that my insurance company, due to age of bike, grants me "salvage rights" meaning they could elect to simply pay out, to me, the agreed value but I KEEP the bike. I am then able to repair the bike at my own cost and continue to ride it .

Frankly, I would not have notified the insurance company of this accident except that I had to involve use of a tow truck due to my injury and hospitalization . The insurer will now cover that plus damaged gear (helmet, gloves etc). The damage too hopefully.

7Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:59 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
I had an issue with my 1984 K100RT, car driver hit it while it was parked.

The insurance assessor for the car driver took my estimate of the repair bill, thenwe discussed what he felt would be a realistic pre accident value, which we were in agreement on, and what he considered the salvage value on the basis that I would be paid the difference. We agreed on a lower salvage value and I kept the bike which I still have.

A satisfactory outcome for all.

As an aside I would replace the right hand footrest hanger as it is cast and quite weak. I would also replace the rear brake pedal as they are very prone to breaking near the pivot due to corrosion and would not trust it after that drop. Other than that you should be ok. Mind the hand though.

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 33,600 miles

8Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Low Speed Drop, K100 Sydney on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Tom FKR

Tom FKR
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Michael and wish you a speedy recovery. I wonder why that gravel patch was on the road anyway. 
Was it there because council did not remove it after roadworks? Good luck with it.
Cheers
Tom

9Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sad to hear ol mate

wish I had parts  that would suit to help you on your way

hoping you have a quick recovery

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OLow speed drop , K100, Sydney Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

10Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:59 pm

WarrenD

WarrenD
I have these bits if you still need them? post over the ditch isn't to bad.

PS. Your bike is twin brother of one of mine.

11Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
@WarrenD wrote:I have these bits if you still need them? post over the ditch isn't to bad.

PS. Your bike is twin brother of one of mine.
Thanks Warren, much appreciated. 
I have not made much progress with the bike. Been out of action with a dud hand plus a few other things! I will know later today if the parts are available from a guy here in Sydney. Will get back to you.

12Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 am

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Gold member
Gold member
I might have a few bits.

Just confirming - still need all the bits mentioned?

I will have a look this weekend

Will let you know

Regards

Guy (Wollongong)

13Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
Well, progress of sorts! My hand is functional again so today I went and picked up my K100 where it was stored since my off.

I put a foot peg on from my other K, started her up and rode the short distance home. Ran perfectly.... But... I got home to find no side stand!! It presumably broke off in slide, or whilst in the care of the tow truck. I hadn't noticed before.

So, to add to my list of needs is a side stand/ centre stand assembly ( the cast aluminium bracket is broken). I would love to also find a replacement original BMW windscreen that fits the simple headlight binacle of my early naked K, but they are probably like hen's teeth.

14Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Low Speed Drop on Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Tom FKR

Tom FKR
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Michael,, what does the screen look like???
Cheers Tom

15Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:19 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Naked_10

Like this one Tom found the pic on the internet.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

16Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Low Speed drop, K100 Sydney on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Tom FKR

Tom FKR
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for that Keith. Getting lazier in my old age. Should have checked with Mr Google.
Cheers
Tom

17Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
@K75cster wrote:Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Naked_10

Like this one Tom found the pic on the internet.

Exactly Keith! That looks very much like my bike Smile

18Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@Michael Sydney wrote:So, to add to my list of needs is a side stand/ centre stand assembly ( the cast aluminium bracket is broken).
Cast ally? I thought it was cast steel.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

19Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:49 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:
@Michael Sydney wrote:So, to add to my list of needs is a side stand/ centre stand assembly ( the cast aluminium bracket is broken).
Being a bit cheeky, steel is an alloy of iron, carbon and often other bits. Wink
Exiting cheeky mode, yes, they are steel.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Newest toy, slightly non-original

20Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:57 am

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
@indian036 wrote:
@Dai wrote:
Being a bit cheeky, steel is an alloy of iron, carbon and often other bits. Wink
Exiting cheeky mode, yes, they are steel.

Bill

My apologies! Yes, it is a ferrous casting.

21Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:20 am

Japae1995

Japae1995
@Michael Sydney wrote:Well, progress of sorts! My hand is functional again so today I went and picked up my K100 where it was stored since my off.

I put a foot peg on from my other K, started her up and rode the short distance home. Ran perfectly.... But... I got home to find no side stand!! It presumably broke off in slide, or whilst in the care of the tow truck. I hadn't noticed before.

So, to add to my list of needs is a side stand/ centre stand assembly ( the cast aluminium bracket is broken). I would love to also find a replacement original BMW windscreen that fits the simple headlight binacle of my early naked K, but they are probably like hen's teeth.
Hey Michael, 

I've got one spare lying around you're welcome to take. I'm currently converting a K100 84' model into a scrambler and wont be needing the OEM windscreen. Let me know if you're interested.

hope the hand is on the mend !

Cheers,
James (Sydney)

Last edited by Japae1995 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

22Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:23 am

Japae1995

Japae1995
@Michael Sydney wrote:Looking for advice.

Last week I had a low speed drop which should have been a minor matter, but then it got complicated.

Patch of gravel approaching a roundabout had me sliding, tail out, towards a traffic island. Came to almost a complete stop then tipped onto right side. Damage to bike is not too severe but my right hand landed on a steel bolt protruding from the concrete island (there was formerly a "keep left" sign) and punched through leather glove and palm of hand! Ouch!! A little surgery and it looks like full use will return.

I had to accept a ride to hospital with the ambulance and left the bike to the mercy of a tow truck driver. Now becomes an insurance matter. As a result my local bike garage, Surfside Motorcycles, will need to source and supply the parts. Looking for a supplier of the following at "commercial" prices.

Maybe someone here has what is needed, otherwise I can point Surfside towards somewhere like MotoBins in UK. Any others?

Needed:

also have both right hand indicators if you're still searching cheers

23Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
@Japae1995 wrote:
@Michael Sydney wrote:Looking for advice.

Needed:

also have both right hand indicators if you're still searching cheers

Wow, I am getting so many offers of help, thank you.

I have been flat out with stuff for a few days, firstly in Thailand ( not riding a K but a Honda CB500X( and now in London for a family visit. Kinda happy to have 4 wheels and a roof here Smile

Hope to get myself organised with some response re K parts now I have internet access again.

24Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Plenty of K parts in London   

So who coming home with extra baggage or posting Xmas presents to oneself

25Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
If you are in London get parts sent to you from Motorworks, they will get to you quickly. If weight is not an issue I would get a complete 16v stand assembly and it bolts straight on.

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 33,600 miles

26Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:50 pm

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:If you are in London get parts sent to you from Motorworks, they will get to you quickly. If weight is not an issue I would get a complete 16v stand assembly and it bolts straight on.
Thank you, but only a few days in London, I am traveling light.

Going from here to Spain and Portugal, then back to Thailand.

27Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:39 pm

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Gold member
Gold member
This is the prime time to make a rash and unnecessary purchase that will cause you repeated soul searching whilst high in the hills of Chiang Mai.

Who here hasn't done that?

28Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
@GF Wollongong wrote:This is the prime time to make a rash and unnecessary purchase that will cause you repeated soul searching whilst high in the hills of Chiang Mai.

Who here hasn't done that?

Haha, yes. But really, excess baggage costs far too much, plus I  would need to drag everything through multiple transfers. 

I do have a bike in Thailand, but a simple, modern Honda CB500x. I will have plenty of time high in the hills to regret NOT having bought lots of stuff.

The other disincentive is the duty likely to be extracted by Thai Customs, usually exorbitant.  Sad

29Back to top Go down   Low speed drop , K100, Sydney Empty Re: Low speed drop , K100, Sydney on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:17 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
They don't weigh whats in your pockets..yet. Just have big pockets.

You need one of these

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2868327/incredible-airport-coat-can-store-15kg-of-luggage-to-beat-ryanair-and-easyjet-carry-on-fees/

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum