BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Sudden Oil Consumption on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:58 pm

John A

John A
Today I decided to take a ride to make sure the bike was still running well. I am currently at college and try to run the bike at least one or two times a week to make sure it doesn't sit (also gives me an excuse to go riding through the Adirondacks for an hour or so). When I started the bike up it smoked a bit more than the normal amount, and I chalked it up to the temperature being around 30 -35 degrees Fahrenheit. While riding I noticed that the normal noises slowly, but continuously, got louder. When I parked the bike I looked at the oil sight glass and saw nothing. While riding I did not have any idiot lights going off, I  was monitoring it closely since the noise was up from what I normally have heard. I checked 30 minutes later (to give it plenty of time to flow back down) and found only a small amount at the bottom of the sight glass. Looking through the oil fill hole I could only see a tiny amount at the bottom of the case. I always check my oil level before riding and today it was about 2/3rds of the way between the middle dot and the top of the sight glass. The bike normally consumes only about 4-5 ounces over 5 thousand miles, from my experience (two oil changes). I did check the oil drain screw and that was completely dry so I do not believe that the oil leaked out of there. 

I am wondering if anyone else has had a sudden consumption of oil with a cold spell. My current plan is to pick up some Marvel Mystery oil to mix in and refill the oil to the top of the sight glass. 

Thank you for any advice you can give.

2Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:14 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know whether this is the case. But what can happen is that water and fuel can contaminate the oil when slow running around town the lower engine temperature allow it to build up. When you go on a longer ride at higher speeds and longer distances the engine gets up to a higher temperature. At the higher temperatures this water fuel mix with evaporate off making it look like your oil consumption has drastically risen. Top the oil up and go for a long hard ride or give it an oil change and go for a long hard ride and it should have settled down.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:23 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It's rare but sometimes K bikes will occasionally "hide" oil that magically reappears.

I'd fill it to the half-way DOT in the sight glass and keep an eye on it.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:30 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
A slight unevenness to the ground and the bike leans a touch more and the oil level can be very different, just keep an eye on it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

5Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Oil on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 am

daveyson

daveyson
Silver member
Silver member
When you look at the engine in profile, with oil at the bottom of the sight glass, there is actually a lot of oil in there, regardless of the appearance from the filler hole.

Coolant might be leaking into the oil, which evaporated during the ride.

Or fuel. Remove the vacuum hose from the rear cylinder at the throttle body assembly. If there are signs of fuel, the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. Don't crank the engine if you suspect this,  it could do damage, unless you disable the coils and remove the spark plugs. Be prepared for something shooting out. 

Regarding the smoke, black points to rich(fuel) blue(oil) white(water)

6Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
I'm interested in the noise. My moto is ridden until salt is on the road and that can mean riding in temperatures from 15ºF up for a month or so. There is no increase in engine noise at temperature below freezing but shifting can be stiff for a half a mile or so.

When was the last oil change, which grade of oil did you use and what brand of filter did you install?

7Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm

gorio

gorio
Even if you did have build up of moisture and fuel vapour this bike is down at least half a litre/ quart oil. So was the oil gone before and they had been using contaminates to fill the space? I would believe a small amount but not that much. The oil would be looking like a chocolate shake.

Another scenario  might be with the lower temperatures and perhaps a heavier weight of oil the oil pressure was higher then usual and has pushed some oil past seals or rings?

I don't know what weight of oils was being used or over all condition of the bike so I am guessing.

Like others I would say top it up ride it and see what happens. Might want to change the oil if it 20-50 or higher.

8Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:29 pm

John A

John A
Currently, I am running 15W-50 oil in the motorcycle as the manual has the operating temperature for that weight being from -20 to 30 celsius or -4 to ~85 Fahrenheit. I used a BMW filter for my last oil change since the PO supplied me with a couple of them, I did my last oil change about 3 weeks ago. I did make sure to check the sight glass while the bike was on level ground on the center stand. I will be refilling the oil level to halfway as suggested and will ride the bike tonight or tomorrow and report back with my findings. I don't think the coolant is leaking or getting consumed as the level hasn't changed since I got the motorcycle. I will be pulling the radiator and cleaning it during my winter break as well as touching up a few other things that I didn't want to mess with during the main riding season.

9Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:37 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
Did you run the bike after the oil and filter change to recheck the oil?

Do you fill the filter before screwing it in?

I have occasionally found erratic oil consumption but keep an eye on it..

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 33,600 miles

10Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If there is coolant leaking into the oil it is very easy to tell.  Put the bike on the center right after riding it.  If there's coolant in the oil you will see froth/bubbles in the sight glass.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

11Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:41 pm

John A

John A
I did run the bike immediately after the oil change and didn't see any real drop in the sight glass level. I normally put a small amount of oil in the filter before screwing it in. I have not seen froth/bubbles after riding it.

12Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:30 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
A small amount in the filter and oil at the red dot on the glass, it will go near the bottom of the glass after you have run it.

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 33,600 miles

13Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption Yesterday at 10:00 am

John A

John A
I added 2 quarts of oil and mixed a small amount of Marvel into it. The bike is now running much better and smoked a lot less when I started it up. I took it out for a hard ride and stopped every 5 minutes or so to check that the level wasn't dropping too much. Parked it again and will be checking it in a few days with another ride weather permitting.

14Back to top Go down   Sudden Oil Consumption Empty Re: Sudden Oil Consumption Yesterday at 12:17 pm

cycleman

cycleman
If you had to add 2 qts of oil to the crankcase, then it was really down.  I can't see how the engine would use that amount of oil in the short amount of time you are talking about.

That would explain the noises you where hearing, lack of oil.  Something doesn't add up as adding Marvel to the crankcase wouldn't change much of anything.  It is basically a solvent, so you will want to dump the oil & filter after a short period of time.  It works similar to Sea Foam and will help clean up the inside of the engine, which is not always a good thing.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum