BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cat on Non-cat bike Empty Cat on Non-cat bike on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 pm

gorio

gorio
As I search for a solution to my broken exhaust (1992 K100rs non-Cat) I seem to come across several K1100lt exhausts with Cat.
They are a bit newer, a bit lower mileage and generally lower priced which is important at the moment.

I don't mind running a cat and doing my bit for cleaner air but will it work properly without an ECU change so I can plugin the O2 sensor?

If I run sans O2 sensor will I end up plugging up the Cat and causing issues?

Any experience with this?

I know the after market exhaust are out there I just don't want to spend the money at the moment. Thought about re-welding but the re-weld that is there now was likely done without purging the exhaust system with Argon so there will tungsten oxide deposits which in my mind is what causes the failure of the re-welds from the inside out.

I may still just end up re-enforcing the area at the collector and hoping for the best.

2Back to top Go down   Cat on Non-cat bike Empty Re: Cat on Non-cat bike on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The cracking in the exhausts was caused by resonance. The solution was to change the frequency of the resonance by fitting a large hose clip around the header pipes.
Regards Martin.
Cat on Non-cat bike Header12

3Back to top Go down   Cat on Non-cat bike Empty Re: Cat on Non-cat bike on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:04 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
You'll need something to plug the hole for the O2/lambda sensor but other than that you should be OK and it should "bolt right up" to a K100RS4V.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Cat on Non-cat bike Empty Re: Cat on Non-cat bike on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Life time member
Life time member
Your system is made for non cat, but will run the same with a cat-exhaust.
You can't plug in the lambda anywhere, just hide the connector.

5Back to top Go down   Cat on Non-cat bike Empty Re: Cat on Non-cat bike on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:30 pm

gorio

gorio
@MartinW wrote:The cracking in the exhausts was caused by resonance. The solution was to change the frequency of the resonance by fitting a large hose clip around the header pipes.
Regards Martin.
Thanks Martin
The broken exhaust currently on the bike was a clamp on it. I am not sure when it was installed though.

6Back to top Go down   Cat on Non-cat bike Empty Re: Cat on Non-cat bike on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:49 pm

gorio

gorio
@duck wrote:You'll need something to plug the hole for the O2/lambda sensor but other than that you should be OK and it should "bolt right up" to a K100RS4V.
I think they are generally M18x1.5 are they not? the same as bigger spark plug thread. I should be able to come up with something for a plug.

7Back to top Go down   Cat on Non-cat bike Empty Re: Cat on Non-cat bike on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:51 pm

gorio

gorio
@Arlina wrote:Your system is made for non cat, but will run the same with a cat-exhaust.
You can't plug in the lambda anywhere, just hide the connector.
I think I would pull the sensor and plug it just for to keep things neat and tidy.
Looks like I will end up with the LT exhaust.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum