BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:24 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
After having my pannier come off from kicking it, even though it was locked on. I decided to do a bit of manufacturing to make sure that they can't come off again. After looking at the problem I concluded the best way was to plug the square holes the latches go into. 

First I made a couple of patterns out of scrap wood and cast them in aluminium at the North Pine Trades Guild. I wasn't happy with the square profile on the corners so ended up rounding them off in the mill and facing with the lathe.

Now that I have done them it if I did them again I would cast them with the corners rounded. The retainer is held in place with one 6mm Allen bolt. At the moment I'm working out whether to paint them black or leave them as machined.
Regards Martin.
Auxillary Pannier Retainers Pannie17
Auxillary Pannier Retainers Pannie18
Auxillary Pannier Retainers Pannie19

2Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
I like Martin

Throw you a couple of bucks for  you time and guild resources can you make me a set  ?

3Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:54 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I preempted your request Matt the next versions will have all surfaces on the plug part machined, and will be sold via the North Pine Trades Guild for $30.00 Au a set. Postage if required will be extra.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:49 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
#metoo.

5Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:56 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Dave it looks like I'm going to be busy on Tuesday.
Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:26 am

volador

volador
Silver member
Silver member
Outstanding! What's that North Pines Trades Guild web address for orders?

7Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:42 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Volador I've just got off the phone to the treasurer of the guild and they will ship to the US. However the shipping cost could be a killer. On Monday when the Post Office is open I'll try and get a price for packaging and postage. I'll let you know whether to order through the guild or myself. And I'll have to sort out how they want payment. As it stands it looks like I'm going to be in charge of it. Due to the fact mine was a prototype and I didn't consider doing more than maybe two sets, there is probably a quicker and easier way of doing it. I'll have to talk to the brains trust on Tuesday.
Regards Martin.

8Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:11 am

volador

volador
Silver member
Silver member
RightO, put me down for a dozen in Black if possible
Ships to NYC, NY 11103
I can pay using any of the online payment types

• Authorize.Net
  • PayPal
  • Google Checkout
  • Amazon Payments
  • Dwolla
  • Stripe
  • Braintree
  • Venmo
  • Bitcoin

9Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
On bikes with a few miles on them, one of the reasons that the cases don't lock on really well is that the ridges on the Z rack right behind the square hole get worn down.

Example:

Auxillary Pannier Retainers 89qil6f

You can combat this by putting some rubber or strong foam between the case and rack right behind the hole.  In the picture above you can see the rectangular outline where somebody stuck on some foam.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

10Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:08 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Here's an alternative idea I posted some time ago.

http://www.k100-forum.com/t11503-pannier-security

Paul.

11Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 pm

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
@volador wrote:RightO, put me down for a dozen in Black if possible
Ships to NYC, NY 11103
I can pay using any of the online payment types

• Authorize.Net
  • PayPal
  • Google Checkout
  • Amazon Payments
  • Dwolla
  • Stripe
  • Braintree
  • Venmo
  • Bitcoin

Martin, I'd be interested in a set as well. Thanks for sharing this concept.

Have you considered using some sort of a insert/twist/lock retaining device rather than the Allen bolt to hold this together on the bike? I remember seeing a device some time ago which had a spring-loaded button on the outside end, and wires (half-bearings?) on tbe other end which retracted into the shaft when you pushed on the spring-loaded front button... I'm sure this has a technical name but it's been too long ago for me to remember it, yet I hope you get the idea. Use of such a retaining device would make mounting and removing the aluminum block a snap.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

12Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:24 pm

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
@DadofHedgehog wrote:

Have you considered using some sort of a insert/twist/lock retaining device rather than the Allen bolt to hold this together on the bike?
I guess the retaining device I'm thinking of is called a "locking quick-release pin". This website has a bunch of them listed under the name: https://www.mcmaster.com/pin-fasteners

PAST:
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

13Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:14 am

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
That exchange answers my question about their convenience in actual use.  It appears you are on a good path!  cheers

14Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:05 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I considered a few different way's of retaining it. 1/ Was a lock and key 2/ Was spring loaded with an "R" clip 3/ A stud and nut. After thinking about all four methods and discussing it  I went with the Allen bolt under the KISS rule.
Regards Martin.

15Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:04 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Another thing you could do to keep the "hook" from moving forward that would be easy and cheap is to drill a hole and use an M4 clevis pin.

Auxillary Pannier Retainers Fq2hsNB

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

16Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@MartinW wrote: I went with the Allen bolt under the KISS rule.
cheers
That requires no altering of the rack that could subject it to fracture from vibration and provides a firm fit that the array of fasteners at McMaster-Carr probably could not provide unless the retainer were machined or drilled to a dimension specific to the selected fastener.

17Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:12 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Anybody wishing to order a set of retainers can contact the North Pine Trades Guild  and go to the contact page and fill in your details and request.http://northpinetradesguild.org.au/ The Guild is a non profit organization run by volunteers on two half days, Tuesdays and Fridays and full day Sunday. The Guild is dedicated to passing on and demonstrating trade skills. Recently  a sizable sum of money was donated by the Guild to farmers drought relief. They also donate time and money to other worthy causes. 

Due to the fact my set was virtually the prototype the new ones will be improved and change slightly in dimensions. They are going to be made out of a cast billet and fully machined on all of the outer retaining block surfaces. The inner clamp part might be reduced in size and thickness. I made my clamps out of a bit of cast scrap.The appearance will be virtually the same slight changes in some dimensions. I'll be switching to the new version as they are fully machined and look more professional than my ones. All efforts to meet orders will be attempted but Christmas is approaching fast.
Merry Christmas regards Martin.

18Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@MartinW wrote: Due to the fact my set was virtually the prototype the new ones will be improved and change slightly in dimensions.
Perhaps personal monogramming or Celtic knotwork on the outer face will be offered. I see upscale possibilities here, Martin.
 cheers

19Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:52 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch don't put any suggestions into their heads. I only envisioned doing a set for myself and maybe a couple of sets for mates. I've had to enroll a retired ships engineer to do all the machining as I'm way to slow machining. I had come up with a couple of other things to cast and machine but I'm not game to post and now I'm too busy.
Regards Martin.

20Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:23 pm

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
@MartinW wrote:Anybody wishing to order a set of retainers can contact the North Pine Trades Guild  and go to the contact page and fill in your details and request.http://northpinetradesguild.org.au/ The Guild is a non profit organization run by volunteers on two half days, Tuesdays and Fridays and full day Sunday. The Guild is dedicated to passing on and demonstrating trade skills. Recently  a sizable sum of money was donated by the Guild to farmers drought relief. They also donate time and money to other worthy causes. 

All efforts to meet orders will be attempted but Christmas is approaching fast.
Merry Christmas regards Martin.
MartinW, Thou Art truly a Beneficent One!

PAST:
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

21Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:00 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Went to the Trades Guild today and made up some patterns for casting billets. The billets were cat and were cooling when I left. On Friday Bernie and I will start the machining process. 
Regards Martin.

22Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
@Laitch wrote:
@MartinW wrote: Due to the fact my set was virtually the prototype the new ones will be improved and change slightly in dimensions.
Perhaps personal monogramming or Celtic knotwork on the outer face will be offered. I see upscale possibilities here, Martin.
 cheers
Might appeal to some Eccentrics.......

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 33,600 miles

23Back to top Go down   Auxillary Pannier Retainers Empty Re: Auxillary Pannier Retainers on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:32 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry the best I can do is tie a piece of string around them with a reef knot.
Regards Martin.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]