BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm

mjones866

mjones866
I am currently undertaking swapping out the stock Motronic ECU unit with a Microsquirt system. I have a good grasp at all the sensors and work involved. My issue is starting with a base map tune which I have not come across, well one that I think is a reliable start anyway. The map I found came from a forum where they convert the K series engine to run in a Mini Cooper. So it leaves me thinking that I can install the microsquirt as a “piggyback”, passively listen and capture all the values that are needed from the stock ECU and then tune from there. Does anyone have any insight to this insanity that I’m attempting Smile

2Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Can't help you at all with this but I am interested in tracking what you do/how you go about developing a new ECU.  Keep posting!

3Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

mjones866

mjones866
Most definitely!

I've been in the midst of collecting what I can scrape up from the deep webs and google cache archives. From my searches, it looks like a fellow 'bricker got his K running successfully a little less than a decade ago on a K75. Here's the start of the thread on Motobrick: https://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=936.0.

I've managed in the past day to get his tune files and other related project plans. I'm thinking I can port what he has done over to my K1100 to start as a base and go from there. It'll be interesting reviving an almost decade project for the K series. I'm got the Microsquirt V3 and donor harness in hand. The MAP sensor and wideband senor should be here this week. My weekend just filled up. Wink

4Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:48 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Keep us posted please.  I'd like to get a few more horsies out of my 94 K1100RS.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the port structure and breathing on a 4 valve engine is really different to the k75  - 2 valve type motor  so some modifications will need to happen to the map , also don't forget that the usual method for injection on k bikes is all injectors squirt at the same time   so some issues to consider during the rework of the system
good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

6Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@duck wrote:Keep us posted please.  I'd like to get a few more horsies out of my 94 K1100RS.
Having just read the wee byline on your sig over there, I think I'm gonna hide in the bushes and trip the ponies up 'coz you deserve it for such an awful pun!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

7Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 pm

mjones866

mjones866
@charlie99 wrote:the port structure and breathing on a 4 valve engine is really different to the k75  - 2 valve type motor  so some modifications will need to happen to the map , also don't forget that the usual method for injection on k bikes is all injectors squirt at the same time   so some issues to consider during the rework of the system
good luck

Definitely will be modifying the tune to compensate for the 4 valve vs the 2 valve. This just provided me some sort of footing/reference to start from rather than feeling around in the dark. I just took a look at the Microsquirt wiring diagrams, seems that there are 2 outputs for 4 injectors each, totaling a possible 8. Of course not going to need all 8. But from the drawings, I can wire the injectors all in concert to "squirt" at the same time same as the OEM configuration. So looks like it naturally can do the thing it needs to for the K1100.

Also luckily for me, the '93 K1100 includes a ignition control module that is needed for the MS upgrade with the BSK ignition coil pack that I've installed a few months back. The '94s and on don't seem to have this in the wiring diagram according the the Clymer manual. But not so lucky for me, the donor engine/fuel/ECU harness that I have on hand does not include this since it's from a '95. So I'm left with bridging off directly what I have installed, unless I find a compatible connector for the ignition control module.

Basically, the goal is to have a temporary harness to interface with the engine and get the connections/wiring correct with a running engine, then I'll make a proper harness based off the donor harness I will be working with.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum