BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm

mjones866

mjones866
I am currently undertaking swapping out the stock Motronic ECU unit with a Microsquirt system. I have a good grasp at all the sensors and work involved. My issue is starting with a base map tune which I have not come across, well one that I think is a reliable start anyway. The map I found came from a forum where they convert the K series engine to run in a Mini Cooper. So it leaves me thinking that I can install the microsquirt as a “piggyback”, passively listen and capture all the values that are needed from the stock ECU and then tune from there. Does anyone have any insight to this insanity that I’m attempting Smile

2Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Can't help you at all with this but I am interested in tracking what you do/how you go about developing a new ECU.  Keep posting!

3Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

mjones866

mjones866
Most definitely!

I've been in the midst of collecting what I can scrape up from the deep webs and google cache archives. From my searches, it looks like a fellow 'bricker got his K running successfully a little less than a decade ago on a K75. Here's the start of the thread on Motobrick: https://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=936.0.

I've managed in the past day to get his tune files and other related project plans. I'm thinking I can port what he has done over to my K1100 to start as a base and go from there. It'll be interesting reviving an almost decade project for the K series. I'm got the Microsquirt V3 and donor harness in hand. The MAP sensor and wideband senor should be here this week. My weekend just filled up. Wink

4Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:48 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Keep us posted please.  I'd like to get a few more horsies out of my 94 K1100RS.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the port structure and breathing on a 4 valve engine is really different to the k75  - 2 valve type motor  so some modifications will need to happen to the map , also don't forget that the usual method for injection on k bikes is all injectors squirt at the same time   so some issues to consider during the rework of the system
good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

6Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@duck wrote:Keep us posted please.  I'd like to get a few more horsies out of my 94 K1100RS.
Having just read the wee byline on your sig over there, I think I'm gonna hide in the bushes and trip the ponies up 'coz you deserve it for such an awful pun!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

7Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 pm

mjones866

mjones866
@charlie99 wrote:the port structure and breathing on a 4 valve engine is really different to the k75  - 2 valve type motor  so some modifications will need to happen to the map , also don't forget that the usual method for injection on k bikes is all injectors squirt at the same time   so some issues to consider during the rework of the system
good luck

Definitely will be modifying the tune to compensate for the 4 valve vs the 2 valve. This just provided me some sort of footing/reference to start from rather than feeling around in the dark. I just took a look at the Microsquirt wiring diagrams, seems that there are 2 outputs for 4 injectors each, totaling a possible 8. Of course not going to need all 8. But from the drawings, I can wire the injectors all in concert to "squirt" at the same time same as the OEM configuration. So looks like it naturally can do the thing it needs to for the K1100.

Also luckily for me, the '93 K1100 includes a ignition control module that is needed for the MS upgrade with the BSK ignition coil pack that I've installed a few months back. The '94s and on don't seem to have this in the wiring diagram according the the Clymer manual. But not so lucky for me, the donor engine/fuel/ECU harness that I have on hand does not include this since it's from a '95. So I'm left with bridging off directly what I have installed, unless I find a compatible connector for the ignition control module.

Basically, the goal is to have a temporary harness to interface with the engine and get the connections/wiring correct with a running engine, then I'll make a proper harness based off the donor harness I will be working with.

8Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:52 pm

mjones866

mjones866
Decided to do an update since its been some time since I have embarked on Microsquirting/rewiring of my K bike build. All has been ticking along as planned. I have installed the Microsquirt and created a bracket for the m unit blue:

93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_6210

Since I'm a paranoid fellow, I installed a backup keyed ignition lock that overrides the keyless go function of the m unit just in case
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20146454/2]93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_8510 [/url]

I know it looks like a mess but I am sorting out all the connections before the final wiring. One thing that is tripping me up is the hall sensor. I'm am currently researching how the Microsquirt system interfaces with the hall effect output. the MS V3 version seems to handle the output better with the latest version. I might need to install an additional signal boost component that boosts the square wave of the hall sensor for the microsquirt. But this is to be determined.
93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_3810

93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_1210

Last edited by mjones866 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accidentally clicked send believe it or not)

9Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 am

mjones866

mjones866
After several weeks of research, thinking, reworking wiring and fiddling with settings in TunerStudio, I'm excited to report that I have successfully started up/had idling my microsquirt'd + motogadget'd K project. It's definitely not perfect. But its a big step forward (finally). Now its time for refinements and tuning the map.

10Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:59 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@mjones866 wrote: But its a big step forward (finally).
Hafta agree with that statement Very Happy

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

11Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:14 am

mjones866

mjones866
And we finally have a decent microsquirt’d startup. This was a cold startup. Literally popped into the shop to test. 

12Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:15 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Nice job!  cheers

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

13Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:02 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Love it, well done!  We'll all need to know what you had to do to get there   Very Happy

14Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 pm

mjones866

mjones866
@Woodie – OK, you asked for it. LOL!

I was going to start with the other modifications I've done but I'll keep with the topic specifically related to the Microsquirt install.

So here is a story/overview and list of modifications  on how I got to this point Microsquirt-ing + M Unit Blue-ing my 93 K1100LT. Even though this is lengthy, I have glazed/skipped over some of the details. There would be a lot to cover and type. I’m happy to dive into details on a particular area if anyone wants. Also, this isn’t a detailed “how to” nor am I a professional mechanic. This is more of a general summary of several months wrenching and researching prior work of other fellow Brickers.  I hope someone finds useful.

A few months back, before the initial overhaul of the wiring, I installed a 4 tiered ignition coil pack with bracket and spark plug leads from BSK Speed Works (http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/k-ignition-coil-ht-leads.html ). From my research, this type of coil pack is used in vehicles like a Ford Fiesta. The guys from BSK are very responsive especially when it came to explaining to me the pin out on the coil pack to replace the BMW dual coil setup. In my set up, I did choose to tap the lower mounting tubes (for lack of a better description) on the intermediate housing where the original coils were located in order to get the BSK bracket on the bike. 

93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_8915

Now on to the actual Microsquirting, I started by labeling all the relays in the mysterious relay box. I used a few resources around on various forums that were super useful. Thus began the gutting and unplugging of the mass tangle of wiring of both the main and ignition harness.

93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_5812

I got rid of all the relays and the original fuse block except for the relays for the fuel pump, fan and starter. The Microsquirt cannot directly handle turning on and off those components. I made sure to leave enough wire length when I clipped them from the harness. Note: in TurnerStudio, you have to manually configure an output to run the fan to be triggered by your defined values. You can choose from a few output wires to use such as “FIDLE”, “WLED” or “ALED”. I chose WLED since I may install an idle air control valve later on. 

Another component that I could not part with is the BMW original starter relay rated at 70 amps. The M Unit Blue does have outputs for a starter relay built in, but it’s only rated for 30 amps. I played it safe and kept the original relay. 

The M Unit replaces all the fuses in the bike. It digitally monitors any faults that might occur and resets automatically with a power cycle, which is really cool. Of course, hopefully you have corrected the problem by then. I believe that it also alerts you audibly via the app as well if you have earphones in your helmet. In the manual for installing the M Unit, it calls for a 40 amp fuse that is to be wired in between the M Unit and the battery. I found a resettable breaker/fuse on Amazon that fit the bill. The M Unit does not come with a 40 amp fuse. 

Final list of components in the electrics box:

1. BMW original fan relay
  2. BMW original fuel pump relay
  3. Microsquirt V3
  4. M Unit Blue
  5. BMW original starter relay
  6. 40 amp breaker/fuse for M Unit
  7. Just mentioning: Roll up unused and untrimmed wires from the Microsquirt such as the MAF wire (this is just for the time being, making sure I don’t need anything in the future.) 

93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_5712

Now that I had the components placed where I wanted, it was time to start to interface the various sensors with the Microsquirt according to the documentation.

I kept the following BMW original components:

1. Hall effect sensor – this was fun (sarcasm) to figure out. 
  2. Both BMW original coolant temperature sensors – I’m currently using the coolant sensor thats located at the top of the timing cover. The one thats a b*&!@ to get at. Not sure what I’ll do with the temperature sensor at the water pump. Thinking about replacing it with a NTC thermistor that variably increases fan speed in relation to the rising coolant temperature. Turning this on only on those 95+ Georgia summer days. 
  3. Manifold air temperature sensor
  4. Ignition control unit (also seen it called an “ignitor unit”)
  5. TPS sensor (K1100s have a potentiometer not a switch type like the older K100s)

Components that were installed:

1. 3 bar MAP sensor (GM type DIYautotune.com  recommended)
  2. 7 port vacuum manifold (this is connected to the 4 individual vacuum ports on the throttle bodies. One connection goes to the MAP sensor, 4 for the throttle bodies. Future plan is to upgrade to a fuel pressure regulator that adjusts with vacuum line from the manifold)
  3. LC2 wide band O2 sensor and controller
  4. installed 4-hole Osidetiger fuel injectors 

All initially went well wiring each sensor to the Microsquirt (as prescribed by the documentation, theres A LOT) except for 2 things. The hall effect sensor and the MAP sensor. I initially bought a compact 3 bar from ebay. Either it was DOA or I fried the sensor somehow. I could not get it to react to a vacuum or show a correct vacuum signal for the life of me. I swallowed my pride (and not wanting to spend the money) and purchased the DIYautotune.com ’s recommended GM 3 bar MAP. After it was delivered, I had it up and running within 5 minutes. Super easy. TunerStudio conveniently has setting preprogrammed for the GM 3 bar sensor instead of a manual calibration. So this was an easy fix, but had to spend double to get there. Should have gone with the recommended part. Another lesson learned. 

AND FOR THE HALL SENSOR……

At this point I had the bike cranking, controlled by the M Unit and I had spark at the spark plugs (I kept the injectors and fuel pump disconnected for testing). I read that the V3 version of the Microsquirt had a built in pullup voltage on the VRIN- input wires. So no extra modifications were necessary. IT DOES! I was able to provide the hall effect with 12v from the AUX switched output from the M Unit, ground the sensor (and ground the shield wire with it) and connect the VRIN1-. Initially I connected both VRIN1- and VRIN2- to each the orange and brown signal wires of the sensor. I tested the cranking and I had a tach signal. It was consistent at around 120 RPM. So progress was had!

93 K1100LT Microsquirt  K100_t11

To make sure that my timing was correct, I bought a 12mm with extension TDC gauge from ebay for around 50 USD. I followed the Clymer manual’s procedure for setting the timing at 6 degrees BTDC.  I also DIY'd a hall effect tester with an LED and a 1K resistor. It worked a treat. What’s funny is that I’m fairly certain the final angle I rotated the HES to was the original rotation when I first opened up the HES cover. So that makes me feel good that I got it close to factory I suppose. I can’t remember if it was the Clymer Manual or some another, but I remember reading a mistake was made in one of the manuals in regards to direction of engine rotation. The proper rotation is CLOCKWISE when you are facing the timing cover from the front of the bike. 

I decided it was time for a startup test since all looked good. After a couple of weeks of fiddling with settings and options, doing more research, fail starts, many nights having to put down the wrench because the battery was dead from start attempts, I finally got the bike to catch and startup. I had to hold the choke wide a$$ open for it to even catch (this is a whole story in itself, I’m having to adjust the tune map fueling down from really super rich). When I got to to idle, TunerStudio was showing me roughly half the RPM (roughly between 400 and 500) of what I know I should be seeing at idle. I confirmed this with a RPM sensor attached to the high tension lead and it showed ~900. I could also tell that something was off and the idle sound didn’t match up with the RPM reading. Without a proper higher RPM, TunerStudio wouldn’t get out of “cranking” mode (there are indicators in the interface to let you know when you are cranking, going through “WUE” – Warm Up Enrichment and “ASE” – After Start Enrichment) nor would the VE or Ignition tables in TunerStudio come into play since they started at 700 RPM based on the default map I was starting from. 

At this point, it was back to more research... and a beer or three. 

I continued to wrestle with TunerStudio settings, eventually got my configuration so far off that the bike wouldn’t even startup any more. But luckily I was able to restore where I was at. All wasn’t lost. 

On a whim I decided to test to see if both hall effect sensors were sending signals. They both tested good (used the aformentioned DIY’d LED tester). I then focused on the VRIN1- and VRIN2- connections. I disconnected each VRIN wire one at a time from the HES and turned the engine over. Only the VRIN1- wire was seeing a signal from one HES. I confirmed this in TunerStudio and was seeing the same half RPM before with only the one HES. Since the BMW HES has 2 individual sensors 180 degrees opposed, this lead me to thinking that I could connect 2 HES signal wires to the VRIN1- wire, in theory doubling the RPM. I connected both sensors to VRIN1- and cranked the engine...

HOLY S%*&, I HAD A FULL RPM READING. 

VE table, ignition table, AFR table, etc were all being used. WUE and ASE indicators were lighting up. 

At this point in time, I’m not entirely sure that this is a correct setup and I’m looking into making sure that there’s not another configuration that I need to explore before calling this good and permanent. There are two other trigger inputs on the Microsquirt (optoin+ and  optoin-). From what I understand, you can only use either VRIN+/- or OPTOIN+/- since they both connect to the same processor. 

This brings us to the present. As mentioned earlier, I am fighting with turning down the fueling due to the mixture being so rich. I’m getting there slowly but surely. And oh, I’ve started to clean up the wiring. I’ll finish the clean up in the next few days and get back to tuning the fuel mixture. 

93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Img_1610

15Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Hey brother thanks for taking the time to document this - fascinating!  I was very heartened to hear that beers are part of the development process.  It gives one (me!) hope.  So once the mechanics of all the components are worked out you develop your own tuning map?  Does TunerStudio provide feedback/guidance for this?  I am intrigued by the possibilities that the Microsquirt offers but my knowledge, understanding and experience are probably more in line with a 1970's Briggs & Stratton lawn mower motor than what you have taken on.

Cheers, Woodie

16Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@mjones866 wrote:I can’t remember if it was the Clymer Manual or some another, but I remember reading a mistake was made in one of the manuals in regards to direction of engine rotation. The proper rotation is CLOCKWISE when you are facing the timing cover from the front of the bike. 
Maybe it was from the 05/99 BMW K1100 LT/RS Repair Manual that provides this line in its Technical Specifications section for the engine.
93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Engine10

17Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 pm

mjones866

mjones866
@Woodie – Beers are a must when in the shop wrenching! Makes you brave enough to wire 2 hall effect sensors together on one input to a opensource EFI controller cheers HAHA, You can literally download the code from github.

And yes, you're on the money. And oh, figuring out the whole alternator exciter situation. AKA the BMW alternator lunchbox charging light. I will begin to tune the map tables now that all my base constant values are set, such as injector flow rating, squirts per cycle, etc. There are a few main tables that I'll spend most of my time adjusting: VE (Volumetric Efficiency, aka fueling), Ignition Advance (spark advance) and AFR (air fuel ratio).

TunerStudio itself doesn't quite guide you along as much as I would like especially since I'm a new comer (noob to the world of DIY EFI). There are short tool tips beside the options to explain what it is and sometimes what a typical value or default value should be. But from what I've read, you have to take these with a grain of salt. There are guides on how to react to particular situations. For instance, I had to set the cranking pulse curve (the percentage of fuel injected when you press the starter) up above 400% at some of the temperature ranges when it dropped below 40F a few days here in Georgia, no we did not declare a state of emergency, LOL. I used a guide from diyautotune.com that let me know to do that if cranking was an issue. There are also a multitude of support forums that help out as well.

BUT the biggest caveat it seem is that "you tune to what the engine wants". That is to say my brick currently has 110K miles on her and given the wear, and other internal nuances that it might have compared to say a brick with 30K, the tune could possibly be different.

Oh, and youtube has been invaluable for information about how to tune with TunerStudio.

There are repositories of base tune files for particular car engines that you can download like for Miatas for instance. There is a cult following around this car and Megasquirting/Microsquirting them. But these maps are base value and are general enough to get an engine started. Apparently each engine is unique in what it wants the tables value to be at.

Unfortunately for me (and us), there are no base maps for a K1100. The only known tune file to my knowledge that I was able to stumble on was from wmax351 from the motobrick.com forum. This thread: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=936.0 is what got my brain started on my Microsquirt project. It died on the vine about 3 years ago. But my tune is now completely different from what he set up since he installed his Microsquirt on his K75 and I'm running full ignition and fuel control.

I think I might post mine on here in the end for whoever else is loco enough to defy ze German engineering.

18Back to top Go down   93 K1100LT Microsquirt  Empty Re: 93 K1100LT Microsquirt on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:52 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
So cool, this project is not for the faint of heart!  It is too bad the build you linked to on Motobrick never came to be. It would have been very similar to what I have toyed with doing.  Your taking the time to document the process and issues that you run into and solve along the way is worth its weight in gold for anyone attempting to do this.  Is the first road test a long way out or have you done this already?

Woodie (cheering you on from frosty Canada)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum