BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:19 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
It looks like we might have a few more participants for a workshop/tune up day. It would be an idea to find out who would like to participate and what they would like help with. That way the correct tools could be assembled. Also an idea of what days would be suitable as I'm now not required by the Trades Guild until 7th of January, I'm pretty flexible except for wonky knees. Even if you haven't got your bike to the rideable stage you are welcome to attend. 
Regards Martin.

Last edited by MartinW on Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:26 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Woo Hoo 

I'm in  and like the idea of a test ride    Brisbane Workshop Day. 652573

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

3Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:25 am

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
Put me down too...On holidays from this Friday until 7th....and thinking about not going back at all....

Will be changing external fuel lines, have already changed crankcase breather (Z) and vacuum take off valve caps. Keen to do a tune.

p.s. Headlight Low Beam was going out intermittently last night....so a bit a switch cleaning I think.

Cheers

Mick

4Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:46 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Pretty busy leading up till xmas but I’m def in if the planets align (and if you can tolerate a boxer-spec type turning up) Laughing

I will politely observe & remain quiet;)

5Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:17 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Unfortunately it's a busy time of the year. So having discussed the workshop with a few members I've come up with the following dates, 21st 22nd and 23rd of December. If that is too soon and rushed it would have to be early January. Special parking can be arranged for persons turning up on a non Bricks, bring your own cover and disguise. Brisbane Workshop Day. 652573
Merry Christmas regards Martin. santa rendeer

6Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Apologies for jumping on to this post, however, is there any UK members who would be up for running a workshop day (maybe when the weathers better!)?

I would love the chance to learn some skills from others, I sometimes feel that certain jobs are just beyond my ability and either they don't get done or I end up paying out for them. It's probably a fear of doing things wrong and, as my K is also my daily transport, I can't afford for it to be in pieces in the shed while I try and figure out where I went wrong!!

Again, I apologise for jumping on to this thread, but Australia is just a bit far to travel for a day trip!

Cheers all

Dave

7Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Pick a day Martin  giving this lot a choice of days is like herding cats

Chatter

#### K100 RS Project 

8Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:59 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I'm fine with any of the days. It would probably be best to check with Mick and Drinky and Paul as they seem to be the only ones requiring toonups. As far as the relay addition it might be better to wait until you do yours then make up a harness that can be made up and fitted relatively quickly. With mine I fitted a ceramic plug to the OEM headlight bulb and wired to the OEM plug to trigger the relay. I'll ring Mick and Paul and see if they are available. Probably need to get Standard and Drinky's phone number at some stage.
Regards Martin.

9Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:36 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Mick, Paul and Standard have confirmed for Sunday, we will meet at the Eden Gardens nursery on Gympie Rd Carseldine. We will arrange to meet Standard somewhere on the way. What time do you want us there?
Regards Martin.

10Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:58 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Sunday is the general consensus, meeting point for Mick Paul and I is Eden Gardens nursery Gympie Rd Carseldine. Waiting to hear off Standard and Drinky. Meeting time to determined when starting time confirmed.
Regards Martin.

11Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:09 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Eden’s fine for me too, let me know a rendezvous time, i’ll be there

12Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:11 am

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
All good. See you Sunday. Let us know what time. I take it we are doing at Matt's place.

Cheers
Mick

13Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:27 am

Boofhead

Boofhead
Would have loved to come to this, hopefully you will have another one that I can get to.

14Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:07 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Mick you are correct in one, Boof there will be more. I'll post the meeting time at Eden when Matt posts the start time.
Regards Martin.

15Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:25 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
This will be my first weekend back home, so I am out.  

The new year should open something up for me.

16Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:58 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Dave sorry to see your missing the event of the year. Brisbane Workshop Day. 652573 
Merry Christmas regards Martin.

17Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Any time ok for me

#### K100 RS Project 

18Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:06 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Right the meeting point for the northside expedition is Eden Garden Centre corner of Gympie and Beams Rd Carseldine at 0600 on Sunday the 22nd of December. I'll bring exhaust gas analyser, vacuum gauges and anything else I think we might need. 
Regards Martin.

19Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:39 pm

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Roger, booked in

20Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:44 am

GB777

GB777
Silver member
Silver member
I'm in, kan't wait.
Funny, spell check tells me that there is a word spelt wrong, spell check isn't as smart as I thought.

•Dyno Tuned to deliver 115 bhp. •Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum Cruise Control. •Fuel Plus Version 3.1 Trip Computer. •R1200c Final Drive Gears (32/13 or 2.54). •Ohlins rear shocky. •K100 complete Aluminium Radiator fitted. •Davies Craig Thermo Switch fitted to Cooling Fan with manual over-ride. •Fuel Cap drilled and tapped to provide mounting points for accessories, including mini Tank Bag & Apple CarPlay Screen •HID Hi-Lo Headlight and every other incandescent bulb on bike replaced with LED's. •Bulb monitoring warning light no longer needed so it's now used to indicate when Side Stand is down. •LED (Halo) Front Park Light (BMW Car style).

21Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:16 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
see you all there sunday

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

22Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:02 am

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
Fantastic workshop day at Matts place this a.m. I am not sure of the official collective noun - but a Koterie, Kollection, Kabal or Klutch of K Forum members from Brisbane gathered for a morning of instruction from master Martin on the use of vacuum gauges,  exhaust gas analyser and  fuel/air mixture adjustment .

Martin, Paul, Vic (beautiful café racer), Dan (StandardK) and I met up northside and made our way to the Dark (south) side of town to Matts place. Our fearless road captain for the last part of the ride set a record for the most number of cancelled left turns in a row - 4 indicate lefts and cancel at last minute. We were joined by Charlie99 Gary (GB777) and a couple more whose names elude me popped in during the morning. About 10 all up.

Matt put on a bbq bacon and eggs, coffee and drinks and then we got stuck in. My bike was the lucky recipient of the tune up work. First Martin demonstrated the use of the vacuum gauges and balancing technique - was a fair way out but now all in sync. Then on to exhaust gas analysis - was a bit worried about Martin's enthusiasm with the probe, and subsequent adjustment to mixture at MAF via top of airbox. Bit fiddly getting at top of airbox, but Martins mighty midget hands saved the day. Bike is now idling nicely just under 1k RPM and much smoother.

The boys then fitted a battery isolator switch to Pauls LT and we hit the road for a test ride. We got separated by traffic lights/heavy traffic and we lost the leading group. I decided to follow Charlie as I assumed he knew where we were going. I think we were getting close to Coomera before I twigged that Charlie was heading south home to the New England. So I pulled off and turned around. Apparently we were supposed to meet at the Mt Gravatt lookout, and the lead boys waited a while for us and eventually wrote us off as a lost cause.  I'm not sure what happened to Vic behind me...if you see a beautiful Lime green and leather trimmed K100 café racer heading south...tell him to turn around!!

Great to see another well attended K Forum event in SE QLD and looking forward to many more. Again many thanks to Martin, Matt and the rest of the forum for being so generous in sharing their time and experience.

See you on the next!!

Cheers 
Mick

23Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:41 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Great wrap up Mick, I certainly had a great morning out. 

Thanks to the (kinda catchy) K Klutch for the invite, I’ll be hooking into my old girl now after the Bavarian stimulation today. Great feed from Matt & tech savvy from Martin. 

Regards

Dan

24Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:55 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
If    only    I    had    known    it    was    on    the    south    side.   Brisbane Workshop Day. 76715

25Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:18 am

GB777

GB777
Silver member
Silver member
Had a great morning at the Service Day.  I learnt a bit more about my K100 16v that won't start, that I will explore over the coming weeks.  The ever reliable K11RS decided to play up on me this morning by holding on the front brake after I let the lever go.  It was real bad on the way home and the neighbours could smell the burning brakes before I could get my helmet off.  The two hoses going to the callipers are braided hoses but the the hose above them is rubber and I think it is the culprit, it's probably swollen inside.  Leave the bike sit for 1/2 an hour and the brakes free up again.

Thanks to Matt for hosting the day and your generous hospitality, I enjoyed myself and look forward to catching up with you all again soon.

•Dyno Tuned to deliver 115 bhp. •Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum Cruise Control. •Fuel Plus Version 3.1 Trip Computer. •R1200c Final Drive Gears (32/13 or 2.54). •Ohlins rear shocky. •K100 complete Aluminium Radiator fitted. •Davies Craig Thermo Switch fitted to Cooling Fan with manual over-ride. •Fuel Cap drilled and tapped to provide mounting points for accessories, including mini Tank Bag & Apple CarPlay Screen •HID Hi-Lo Headlight and every other incandescent bulb on bike replaced with LED's. •Bulb monitoring warning light no longer needed so it's now used to indicate when Side Stand is down. •LED (Halo) Front Park Light (BMW Car style).

26Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:09 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Glad to see a great day had by all attendees which I think rounded out to 10. Many thanks to Matt for hosting and feeding the hordes. Hopefully this will become a regular event that some of those who missed out this time I can attend in the future. Charlie rocked up and generously shared his Olaf pud. Very tasty addition thanks Olaf.
Regards Martin.

27Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:49 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
I would have loved to be there, but 1100km and 12hrs riding made it an impossibility. Sad

Brought back fond memories, though. My first face-to-face encounter with the Krew was at RT's place at Robertson, NSW where the legendary RossKKo showed us how to pull everything behind the engine off for a clutch change, I think. 
The generosity and helpfulness displayed then has continued to this day, making this fine Kollection of people a valued part of my life.

Well done, fellas.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

28Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
GB777 wrote:Had a great morning at the Service Day.  I learnt a bit more about my K100 16v that won't start, that I will explore over the coming weeks.  The ever reliable K11RS decided to play up on me this morning by holding on the front brake after I let the lever go.  It was real bad on the way home and the neighbours could smell the burning brakes before I could get my helmet off.  The two hoses going to the callipers are braided hoses but the the hose above them is rubber and I think it is the culprit, it's probably swollen inside.  Leave the bike sit for 1/2 an hour and the brakes free up again.

Thanks to Matt for hosting the day and your generous hospitality, I enjoyed myself and look forward to catching up with you all again soon.

gary have a look in the fluid reservoir ...I would predict there is gunk in the bottom , covering up the first (closest to the output side of the master cylinder )of the two holes into the piston cavity , I call that the equalizer hole ...and if blocked will not let the piston retract correctly ...the hole is tiny , but important ....good luck

great to see new and old friends ...thanks guys , great turnout
some pics

Brisbane Workshop Day. 20191221

Brisbane Workshop Day. 20191222

somebody's shoes ?   i'm guessing martin's

Brisbane Workshop Day. 20191223

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

29Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:45 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Finally irreputable proof of the acceleration capabilities of the K75s. It accelerates that fast that it rips your shoes off. Brisbane Workshop Day. 652573 
Regards Martin.

30Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:51 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Brisbane Workshop Day. 44271

31Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Absolutely fantastic that you guys can all get together and share the K love.  Very Happy  

I'm intrigued with this part: 

"Then on to exhaust gas analysis - was a bit worried about Martin's enthusiasm with the probe, and subsequent adjustment to mixture at MAF via top of airbox."

Does this make a big difference?  Is it likely that the MAF sensor needs adjustment after 30ish years?  Thanks all!

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

32Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:04 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The exhaust gas analyser allows you to adjust the idle mixture accurately. If you don't have one the adjustment can be done using the lean drop method. A rough check can be done by  pressing the green starter button with the idle set at 1000 rpm. The starter will  not engage but it will enrich the mixture, if it is correct the idle will stay the same or rise very slightly. If it rises the mixture is lean if it drops the mixture is to rich. 

As far as going out of wack over the years, some that I have checked over the years are way out and some are only very slightly out. Micks Brick which was only slightly out and probably has never been checked  the adjustment screw was very stiff. I suspect maladjustment in the ones that are way out. When I first got mine 20+ years ago the idle was slightly rough. I took it to two supposed BM guys and they couldn't get it right, it was actually worse (no charge)and I got it closer by ear. I then took to Ultratune who had a gas analyser he couldn't get it right (no charge).

So in frustration I bought a Gunson Gas Analyser and Carbtune Pro balancer from the UK. Cost me around $400.00 for both. Had it running perfectly in under an hour, I could have my money back in the first 12 months if I wanted to charge. I have only had to do minor adjustments on my Brick probably 3 times in 20 years.
Regards Martin.

33Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:00 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Just had a pre Christmas delivery by a rather large magical Elf riding a snow white  Boomer Beemer. My shoes have returned.
Merry Christmas regards Martin. santa rendeer

34Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Workshop day Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:20 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,  merry Christmas and that, 

For the rest of the world that doesn't live in Queensland, is it possible to put an avatar and name to the photo? I'm guessing it's Martin and Mathew,  two and three from the left. They say the receiver of the finger is more guilty than the giver,  but the giver is obviously enjoying it more,  but that still doesn't help me work out who's who.

35Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Re: Brisbane Workshop Day. Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:03 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Brisbane Workshop Day. Brisba10

36Back to top Go down   Brisbane Workshop Day. Empty Christmas Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:52 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Ah ha,  thanks,  so that's who the kinky one is,  it's so obvious now.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum