BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Bike to good home on Fri 21 Feb 2020, 23:48

Jimarm1

Jimarm1
I have a K100KT. A few years ago I started to strip it down to repaint it. At that time it was running perfectly well. I got bored/lost interest so its been sitting in my garage for the past 2-3 years. It might make an interesting project for someone who wanted to get it up and running again. It might also be of use to someone as a source of parts.

If you want it it's yours.

You would have to take the whole bike though as it's taking up space in my garage and I'm not of a mind to start stripping it down for people who want bits. You would also need a trailer as its not running.

I also have a brand new (large) screen that my wife bought me for the bike before I lost the plot and decided to paint it. It has never been used and is still in its box. if you want it it's yours.

2Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sat 22 Feb 2020, 02:15

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Oh bugger. I'm by far the closest (25 miles south) but I don't have a trailer. Mind you, I can probably fix that problem...  Whereabout in Belfast?

Trailer problem fixed. I'll take it.

3Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sun 23 Feb 2020, 05:32

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
You’ve saved me from myself, Dai!

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sun 23 Feb 2020, 11:54

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I'm just wondering if I shouldn't have saved me from myself. I just sold my Bandit because I didn't have any more room now the 850-T3 has finally arrived at the point where it needs floor space. I have no idea how far 'stripped down for painting is', but even if the plastic has not been cut back that still has to be a £500-£600 rebuild, plus a pair of tyres. I should be picking it up next Saturday.

5Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sun 23 Feb 2020, 12:41

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow  nice win Dai

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OBike to good home Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

6Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sun 23 Feb 2020, 12:59

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Sell the 850-T3?   Very Happy   I'm interested to see what the 'KT' version is - K(it)T(ourer) perhaps?  Good score Dai.

7Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Mon 24 Feb 2020, 04:55

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@Woodie wrote:Sell the 850-T3? 
Not a bloody chance! Very Happy It's an 850-T3 California and I've owned it for the last thirty years. It's also the only bike I've ever restored where the (very) expensive cost of restoration is still exceeded by the market price. That one will probably go in my coffin with me.

8Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 27 Feb 2020, 21:02

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Platinum member
Platinum member
Nice one Dai

9Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sat 29 Feb 2020, 09:00

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 51K Km     ;BMW; K1100RS Red 1993 70k miles  ;BMW; K100 16V Black (ex ElectricMonk)  ;BMW;  K1100LT (Swiss) soon to be an RS

10Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sat 07 Mar 2020, 11:27

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Went and fetched it today. It's an '87 LT in surprisingly good nick with 51,000 miles on the clock. Underneath a light layer of dust and a scattering of white ally powder the metalwork is really clean and (gasp!) shiny. The bodywork is effectively scrap; some of it's black and some of it's white and the black bits have been badly sprayed at some point. I can't be arsed to sort that out because it would cost me more to fix than hunting another set of bodywork on ebay. There's a lot of undercoat overspray on various parts of the bike where it's been undercoated without being stripped. Cutting paste should see to that. The seat is in good nick. I haven't looked inside the tank yet, but as that has also been undercoated, it's ripe for an ebay replacement. Assuming that all the usual rubber parts need replacing, realistically £700 - £800 should see it back on the road.

Usual sequence of events is to get the engine running first, then look at the rest of it. I won't be getting stuck in too soon as I'm partway through building a new wiring loom for my Guzzi 1100-T3 and that gets top priority.

Pics to follow.

11Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sun 08 Mar 2020, 12:23

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Bike to good home 1b
Nose fairing. All sanded back and not really useable.

Bike to good home 2b
Pile of LT parts mixed in with an even bigger pile of Guzzi parts.

Bike to good home 3b
Maybe it was going to be posted at some point?

Bike to good home 4b
Does anyone know what they did with the later snowflake wheels? Are they painted?

Bike to good home 5b
Definately a clean engine under that lot.

Bike to good home 6b

Bike to good home 7b
Surprise - not missing fins in the radiator. Doesn't mean it won't leak, of course.

Bike to good home 8b
Spot the overspray...

12Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Mon 09 Mar 2020, 18:20

MIBrick

MIBrick
Re: your question about snowflake wheel treatment. My '86 K100RS wheels are silver, like the ones in your picture, though I don't think they're painted. I'd have to go uncover the bike and look closely to see if they're clear coated or something. Always assumed they were natural/raw.

13Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 00:04

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
When you say 'part way through building a wiring loom', I suppose I'm part way through building a wiring loom too - one that I started six months ago in October. Life and winter got in the way. I keep nosing into the forum to buoy my motivation, which is great.

I've sorted out a few K100 spares (nothing great), so if you find you need any bits and pieces for this project, maybe post it up and I'd be happy to send anything I've got your way - you might as well build it as a gifter if you can!

The LT looks a decent project btw, as you say, you need to drop on a decent set of bodywork on oohbay.

14Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Rt on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 00:50

daveyson

daveyson
Platinum member
Platinum member
Somewhere I read the wheels are painted, since they are porus and would leak air. Dunno. 

After trying everything else to clean the wheels, finally I tried oven cleaner. Didn't leave it on long. Now I have to put air in it (front wheel) every two weeks or so.

15Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 01:57

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Turns out it is an RT. Essentially if compared to the LT, it has a lower screen, no voltmeter and no temperature gauge.

I started on it last night. So far:

- the radiator leaks (as expected; you can see dribble marks in the pics above) but I have a spare hanging up
- no key for the fuel cap. I tried drilling a Sidecar Paul but the guts were so rusted up I ended up levering it open. I have a mk.1 filler cap in the roof and that will do for engine testing
- the paint chips left over from that action showed that the bike has been three different colours so far (or at least, the fuel tank has)
- I had to cut the fuel lines off as they were completely hardened in place
- there was half a tank of concentrated-urine-coloured fuel in there. All of the light volatiles have long since evaporated. I dumped half of it into my oil waste drum and the other half on the floor (don't ask...)
- the fuel pump collar and level sender look in good condition
- no apparent corrosion points
- once I'd peeled off the parcel tape and pulled the gaiters up, the fork legs and seals look okay. The seals will be replaced anyway
- the Hagon shock on the rear is still in working condition
- a little corrosion inside two of the HT caps
- the wiring loom is in good condition
- the battery is, of course, totally screwed but I have two spanky-new AGM Motobatts on the bench (and that's another story too...)

If the engine starts okay, jobs I know I have to do:

- check/replace the usual leaky rubberware
- new fluids
- make new brake lines
- new brake pads and tyres
- replacement bodywork and fuel tank

@Chris: I'm budgeting £800 for this. I did a bit of research on Motorworks. A full set of s/h LT/RT bodywork plus fuel tank comes in at £475 tops. Ebay doesn't seem able to beat that. Add two tyres at £100 each, plus any leaky rubberware and I'm about on target.

Dammit; my boots still stink of stale fuel. So much for the Febreeze.

16Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 12 Mar 2020, 14:28

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Okay: looks like this is turning into a build thread. Got a bit further tonight. I almost laughed out loud when I found that the fuel tank key that came with the bike also fitted the Mk.1 flap I have. That's now on the tank, considerably reducing the smell of stale fuel.

A brief look at the rear hydraulic reservoir showed the expected cracks. A new 30cc Brembo reservoir is only £15.00.

I hauled the old radiator off and found that the rubber frame mounts look like they might be perished. I hope not, because I understand from you lot that's a bitch of a job to do. The frame is rusty on both sides in that area. My bet is it was caused by the leaky radiator. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the fan motor was pristine inside. I applied twelve volts and off it went on its merry (both) ways. Yes, I applied the power the wrong way round first time... (sigh). It doesn't make a good hovercraft unfortunately. The fan and thermostat were transferred to the spare radiator.

Because I also need to replace the hardened fuel lines before I can test the engine, off came the airbox so that I can get at the feed line on the pressure regulator. Just about every rubber fitting still has the oetiker clamps on, so I need to get in there with the dremel to cut the clamp off before the line will come off. The air filter looks as if it was replaced fairly recently, so that's one less thing to buy.The bottom of the airbox was home to a brown comma butterfly, three common wasps and a whole host of unrecognisable chitin body parts - probably ants. The air intake tube has been painted with what appears to be black hammerite on the side facing away from the airbox. Another part for the bin.

Last thing I did tonight was to check the front mudguard (fender) bolts. Surprise - underneath the overspray on the left side I found the OEM clips that seem to go missing at the slightest provocation. No such luck on the other side - the bolts are secured with nylocks. I was relieved to find that all four bolts rotate easily as when I did Brick2, those four bolts were corrosion-welded to the fork sliders. On the way out of the garage I pulled at the battery leads to check security and yes, the whole damn tray moved. All four anti-vibration mounts have parted company with the top thread. Been here before...

17Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sat 14 Mar 2020, 02:56

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Fitted new softee fuel lines today and put the airbox back together. This was the first time I'd used the dremel 'in anger' and was surprised at just how fast it cut through the oetiker clamp. I'd also recently bought 5 metres of fuel line in anticipation of doing just this... but the idiot here had bought 6mm ID instead of 8mm ID. Gah. Cue a mad scramble through the drawer of offcuts to see if I'd got any 8mm pipe. I had, but only just enough (OEM length plus 3 inches (75mm)). I also inspected the throttlebody rubbers while the airbox was off and at this point, I'd say they don't have any signs of cracking. I didn't remove the oetiker clamps, so there could still be trouble in that region. I'm quietly confident that there isn't, if only because the crankcase breather hose is perfect. Yes, it could have been replaced at some point but I can hope.

As talked about in another thread, I Threebonded the thermostat into the radiator and refitted the radiator to the bike. I also took a look at a job I wasn't looking forward to - removing the rusted-in anti-vibration mounts on the battery tray. Two of them lifted straight out of the gearbox; a third one (front-right, the blind hole) left the metal mushroom in the gearbox and the fourth one was still intact. Of course there was a catch; the nuts were rusted solid to the threads and weren't going to let go. In the end I had to cut through a perfectly good anti-vibration mount to free up the battery tray so that I could clamp it in the vice and remove the rusty nuts. The lower mushroom is still solidly in the gearbox.

I managed to break the spout on the header tank while trying to remove the oetiker clamp without cutting through it. That was a serious dose of sheer hamfistedness Embarassed

I also found that the engine had been drained of oil. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing (thinking about the oil/water pump seal drying out). I could just refill it, but I don't know how many miles the existing oil filter has on it or what crap it's collected that it could dump into fresh oil. I ordered two new Filtro oil filters because LFB needs a filter change too.

I really must post some pictures.

18Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Sat 14 Mar 2020, 10:19

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
One way to get an anti-vibration mushroom out of the gearbox without dismantling the bike - or going anywhere near it with a drill.

1. File two parallel flats on it. Yes, you will scrape the gearbox but hey-ho

Bike to good home 22

2. File the jaws of a pair of large molegrips so that they will grip the mushroom properly.

Bike to good home 23

3. Grip and twist. Initially I actually clamped a second molegrip at right-angles on the first to get some leverage.

Bike to good home 24

I also connected up a new battery to check the electrical system. It all worked, bar the brake light switches which was no surprise. As I need to replace the thirty-two years old brake lines anyway, I'll fit hydraulic switches in place of the OEM ones.

19Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 03:49

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
IT RUNS!!!!

I'd love to say it started first time but it didn't. It started on about the fifth poke of the button and clattered into life with a horrendous diesel knock. After a couple of minutes of warming it up by tweaking the throttle it settled down to a steady tickover at about 800rpm indicated, right on the edge of charging light flicker.

I'm happy with that.

I guess I can now spend some money on it, which I was reluctant to do before.

I think I'm gonna call it 'Freebie'. Or 'FreBrick'. Or 'FreeBrick'. Or something like that. Must be cabin fever - we've all been banned to working from home.

20Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 04:18

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Platinum member
Platinum member
Kostenlos - German for free of charge Very Happy

Me too...

21Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 04:49

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
'Gisme'
-Yorkshirespeak for free

Re. working from home. Yep, I bet my wiring loom is coming on quicker than your wiring loom  Very Happy

Great news that another old brick has shook off the dust and woken again!

22Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 13:00

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Kostenlos: hmm - I might think about that one.

Chris: the wiring loom for the 1100-T3 has come to a halt ATM while I build a new instrument panel.

I am so looking forward to retirement.

23Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 14:11

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:
I am so looking forward to retirement.
My father was the first I heard it from, but I'm sure he was far from the originator.
Speaking about retirement - "I don't know how I ever had time to go to work!"

For myself, I don't know how I will ever get on top of my retirement projects, the 4 not yet running Ks in my signature being only a fraction of said projects.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Newest toy, slightly non-original

24Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 14:22

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
In truth, all 'retirement' really means to me is that I will come off the clock. Apart from 36 hours a week for an employer, I work up to an additional 20 hours a week for myself doing games add-on development for (usually) a publisher in Germany or Austria. The latter time will simply expand to fill part of the former time, with the gaps being filled by motorcycles.

25Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 18:28

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Same here since retiring I don't seem to have enough time.
Regards Martin.

26Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Fri 20 Mar 2020, 00:07

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
"..with the gaps being filled by motorcycles.."

Yep, and quite often those gaps are a whole day wide Wink

27Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 26 Mar 2020, 17:50

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Talked to Motorworks today about a new set of bodywork including the tank. 'Which colour do you want?' 'Any colour except white'. I'm not fond of white bikes. I'm not fond of black ones either (unless they're T3 Californias Twisted Evil ) but that bloody leprechaun by the name of Murphy says that's what I'm going to get. I'd like a Marakesh Red one but beggars and all that.

28Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home on Thu 26 Mar 2020, 20:29

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Platinum member
Platinum member
Dai, Have you come across Thom Hellebrekers?
He’s a one man band on FB. I know he has a load of body work and is a great guy to deal with, will haggle.
He’s Netherlands based so I guess now subject to VAT (unless maybe you have an EU border near you).

29Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home Yesterday at 04:13

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Farcebook is a no-go area for me. I know too much about their inner workings to want their slime working its way through my computers. The one time I had to deal with the scum because I needed some data that was only available on Farcebook I built a virtual PC that ran inside a sandbox on my main PC. I added a load of third-party tools known to murder Facebook's tracking cookies. I then cloned it, installed Facebook on the clone and turned off all the tracking data that they would graciously allow me to turn off. BTW, some of those off switches do nothing... I never went outside of Farcebook while on that VPC and at the end of the session, I nuked the entire virtual machine. Rinse and repeat. I always felt slightly dirty at the end of a session.

Google is only very slightly better. If a site demands I use Chrome 'for the best experience' I go and find the information somewhere else.

30Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home Yesterday at 04:21

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Platinum member
Platinum member
Fair do. His WhatsApp is 0031634000592
If that helps

31Back to top Go down   Bike to good home Empty Re: Bike to good home Yesterday at 04:24

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I'll see what happens with Motorworks. If they hit my budget, I'm too lazy to go anywhere else given the current crisis.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum