BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Decided to rewire my K100RT on Sun 22 Mar 2020, 05:19

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Since I got my K bike, I have had issues that are documented elsewhere on this site. 
Most of the issues are Electrical, so I have decided to rewire the bike, I have bought an M-Unit Blue and I have an M-lock to replace the Ignition key. I am just trying to decide on how many switches I need, due to the problems with the Neutral and Gear indicator on a rewire, I am looking at using the OEM gear indicator. I will make a box to hold the circuitboard and put a clear lens over the display to keep it waterproof. I have auxiliary spotlights wire to a switch on the handlebars, I am looking at using the Hazard switch to power the lights as the M-unit handles the hazard lights. I am thinking about using the current switch as a kill switch similar to the way a car can have power cut to the ignition circuit. I don't want to chop or customise the bike other than to update the electrics. I am buying the parts as funds become available, so this will take some time. I will also replace the dash with a Koso unit. Any sensible ideas are welcome otherwise I will keep you all updated with the progress with photos of the before during and after.

2Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT on Sun 22 Mar 2020, 10:39

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
My own top two tips:

Study the K wiring diagram 'til you're completely familiar with it. Yep there'a a lot of wires, but none of the individual circuits are complicated if you break it down.

If it suits, lose the parking-light-via-the-ignition-key circuit completely. It's a heck of a lot of wiring and complication and no-one in the history of biking has ever needed to leave the parking lights on with the bike unattended.

3Back to top Go down   Decided to rewire my K100RT Empty Re: Decided to rewire my K100RT on Sun 22 Mar 2020, 11:02

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
@chris846 wrote:If it suits, lose the parking-light-via-the-ignition-key circuit completely. It's a heck of a lot of wiring and complication and no-one in the history of biking has ever needed to leave the parking lights on with the bike unattended.

What he said. The parking light thing is also a good way to inadvertently run down your battery if you accidentally pull the key out in that position and walk away. DAMHIK Embarassed

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: