BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Arid weather and wiring Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 am

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
Hey everyone!
recently moved to a very arid desert area and have noticed that the insulation and rubber seals on wiring harnesses and window seals getting very brittle and cracking on cars and bikes only 2 or 3 years old! Insulation just cracks and falls off, never seen anything like it on such new equipment! any suggestions on what I can do to slow or stop the effect would be great! I think armour all treatment would work, but not sure if its safe to apply to wiring or if there is something better. Ride safe!
B

2Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Re: Arid weather and wiring Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, move back from whence you came....sorry Bruce, I could not resist it.

I can understand it happening but alas I can't help. What do the manufacturers of the late vehicles say? I would ask them.
Take care,
Ajays

AJAYS

3Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Re: Arid weather and wiring Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:15 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

WURTH; Made a rubber conditioner I have used it in the past to keep seals, and trim supple worked a treat.

BIG D

4Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Re: Arid weather and wiring Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
cool! willl try it out! couldn't believe the rot in it after only a couple of years, the 86 K had wiring in better condition than that! as for going home, can't afford it, gotta make some dough until the sugar mama shows!! Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Re: Arid weather and wiring Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:28 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The product which is most popular for this on the Mercedes list I inhabit is called 303 Aerospace Protectant and it works well to protect rubber and plastic from breakdown.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Re: Arid weather and wiring Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:56 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Use the 303 stuff and you won't go back to the dreadful Amor All.

Have a look at the 303 website.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Re: Arid weather and wiring Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Armor All is banned in my house!

Some time ago Armorall got a reputation for chemically hardening plastics, which led to them breaking apart when flexed or when they were exposed to variations in heat and cold, such as occurred with dashboards (About 10 years ago, my neighbor's dashboard split in 1/2 on its 2 years old car) My wife's previous car had been treated with Armor all, and every piece of vinyl had turned grayish. You could scrapped the dry vinyl with your finger nail.

Apparently, Armor all have changed the formula, and there are good reports about it now but ..... I do not trust this product anymore. The older one, should definitely not be used.

8Back to top Go down   Arid weather and wiring Empty Re: Arid weather and wiring Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:26 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I was given a vinyl covered chair which was at least 20 years old very high quality. I took it home and gave it a clean and a treatment with Armorall and over the next six months the vinyl shrunk so it looked like the cover was being cinched down from underneath and eventually split right across from the strain of the cover now being too small to cover the chair all because of that treatment!
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum