BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Gearbox oil level Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Reddragon52

Hi folks I changed the oil in the gearbox the other day, I used the method of oil level measurement by using the handle of the tool kit c spanner as a dip stick as adviced in the BMW riders hand book , next time I used the bike it smoked like the flying Scotsman when I stopped and parked oil was leaking from the gearbox breather on top of the gearbox and running onto the hot exhaust would I be better measuring the oil instead any info appreciated .

2Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:45 pm

850cc (+/- 50cc) is the only way to go, and use a GL5 hypoid rated gear oil as well. I dropped and refilled mine the other week whilst on the road - just for good measure - and replaced it with just about 875cc, then did another 6000 kilometres towards home with no worries. Before I departed two months ago I dropped the gear oil only to find it had turned pink like a liquid stomach antacid due to water intrusion, so I changed it twice before going on the road to expel any lingering H20. No unusual additional noises and no shifting problems since in the 15000+ kms I did on my recent trip. The plastic bottle usually has a handy cc chart up one side. Too much oil and the result is too much pressure trying to find a way out once hot. Dunno why your method would have resulted in that if you did it correctly.

3Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:10 pm

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
just to refresh the topic - how can i meassure the gearbox oil level without the C spanner? i do not have the tool set in my brick...

4Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
116 mm measured from the filler plug gasket surface.

Inge K.

5Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:38 pm

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
that's the maximum level? or the spanner length itself?

6Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I just replaced the gearbox oil on my 2 ks, and as usual, I used the spanner to check the level.
I never had any problem with this method.

7Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:18 pm

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
ok guys, found it in the manual Wink) thanks!

8Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If your bike is on the side stand it will take about 1200-1300cc to fill it to the line and then it will run out the breather.

I know I did it and don't ask it's embarasing.Embarassed

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Gearbox oil level Empty Re: Gearbox oil level Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum