BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Reaction in fuel? Thu May 07, 2020 9:27 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
Gased the bike up over a week ago and had burnt a few litres then today decide to take a run up to the local ski hill, Mount Washington.
The bike ran fine on the way up see first pic. Then on the way down the bike sounded a bit off. It seemed to be under powered coming out of corners and after steeper down hill pitches. Fuel pickup problem came to mind. One light and a stop sign on the way home it idled fine at both.

I rolled into the garage and opened the tank to see if everything was where it should be and it seems to be.

The fuel seem discoloured, Murky and there is a sort of haze hanging over it. See photo two it even sort of shows the haze a little.

So what is the quickest easiest way to drain off about ten litres of fuel?

Reaction in fuel? Img_2010
Reaction in fuel? Img_2011

2Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Fri May 08, 2020 12:11 am

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
When i went back out the fuel had seemed to settle and looked a little more normal again.

Fuel siphoned out, pump pulled, last bit of fuel removed with large syringe, wiped out tank with shop towels, rinse and repeat.
Pump pick up filter cleaned.
Reassemble and add a bit of fuel to get me to a service station tomorrow.

I would love to know what happened with that fuel 94 octane from Chevron. I think I will try somewhere else tomorrow.

I suspect this has something to do with temperature. I stopped for a few minutes to take a picture and enjoy the view which would have give time for a bit of a heat soak on the tank. It was warm but not hot on my arrival home. Strangest looking fuel I have ever seen

Hopefully some fresh gas will cure the problem and I haven't plugged the injectors

3Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Fri May 08, 2020 1:51 am

volador

volador
Platinum member
Platinum member
Geez that looks like my spring pool water

put a litre of kerosene next fill up and ride on... repeat... repeat...

Tally-ho and keep the shiny side up

4Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Fri May 08, 2020 12:07 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
Add kerosene?  And this is expected to do what?  Question

5Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Fri May 08, 2020 1:29 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
brickrider2 wrote:Add kerosene?  And this is expected to do what?  Question
I was about to ask that as well.
I have used kerosene in an old car that had a stuck piston ring and it worked. Blew a huge cloud of white smoke as I trickled it in to the carb. It did seem to lubricate things enough to get the rings to seal up. drove the car for a couple of years after that.

hopefully I have this fixed anyway

6Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Fri May 08, 2020 1:43 pm

volador

volador
Platinum member
Platinum member

Help clean-lubricate the petrol system and boost octane rating, 5th gear will feel like 6th YMMV

kerosene, diesel (#2 home heating oil), automatic tranny fluid- CBC of North America endorsed

Marvel Mystery, Techron, Lucas fuel injector cleaner, Seafoam, Berryman's B-12, etc... endorsed by yacht, country, golf club types

Last edited by volador on Fri May 08, 2020 1:59 pm; edited 4 times in total

7Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Fri May 08, 2020 1:44 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Reaction in fuel? Roadwo10
Kero worked great in these roadworks flares - memories of the '60s & '70s in Australia & US in the late-'70s.

8Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 pm

volador

volador
Platinum member
Platinum member
gorio wrote:
I was about to ask that as well.
I have used kerosene in an old car that had a stuck piston ring and it worked. Blew a huge cloud of white smoke as I trickled it in to the carb. It did seem to lubricate things enough to get the rings to seal up. drove the car for a couple of years after that.

hopefully I have this fixed anyway
If you have a combustion engine that has been sitting for some time remove the plugs prior few hours to starting or let sit overnight

always squirt some kerosene, diesel, Marvel Mystery, etc... into cylinders to help lubricate/ free stuck...

9Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sat May 09, 2020 2:03 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
The good news is fresh fuel seems to have cleared up the issue. I am still wonder what happened.
That was my at least second possible third tank of gas in there this spring and the bulk of what was in there was not more then ten days old.
I now have ten litres of gas to dispose of some how. I would take it back to Chevron and leave it for them but then I am out a gas can as well.
I hate to dump it in my car and recycling won't take it either.

Any creative ideas on how to dispose of it in an environmental sound way?

10Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sat May 09, 2020 2:43 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
gorio wrote:Any creative ideas on how to dispose of it in an environmental sound way?
You're Canadian, fer gawdsake! Follow the law or you'll be rending the fabric of your society. If you take that gasoline-filled can over to the Comox Strathcona waste facility, it might be possible to receive a rebate for your container and by doing so, avoid destitution. Smile

11Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sat May 09, 2020 2:44 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Get a 1 gallon plastic jug, the kind vinegar or RV antifreeze comes in.  Put a gallon of the crap gas in it and let it sit for a day.  Look to see if any water settled out at the bottom.  If there is any water, carefully pour off the gas on top of it through an old t-shirt and a funnel into your lawn mower. 

As long as you filtered out the water and the big chunks, the mower will run on what is left.  You could probably put the filtered stuff in you car, as long as you diluted it with a full tank of good fuel.  I ran my car for six months on the fuel I removed from the tanks of a bunch of old boats that I scrapped when I worked in a boat yard.  Some of that fuel had been sitting for 10-15 years.  As long as it's clean and water free, it will burn in an engine.

The nasty watery gas at the bottom can be saved and mixed with the oil from your next oil change and taken to a recycling center.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

12Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
Looks like I will try and clean it up enough to run it in the car a couple of litres at a go. I don't own a lawn mower at the moment.

13Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
gorio wrote: I don't own a lawn mower at the moment.
You are a lucky man.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

14Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sat May 09, 2020 8:39 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
Point-Seven-five wrote:
gorio wrote: I don't own a lawn mower at the moment.
You are a lucky man.
yes and no.
Trying to get about half an acre of rocky soil screened and levelled for the hydro seed guy. So my no mower life will be changing.

15Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sun May 10, 2020 12:26 am

volador

volador
Platinum member
Platinum member
Recommend a landscaping company no bloody mower or the such to muck about. More ride time

16Back to top Go down   Reaction in fuel? Empty Re: Reaction in fuel? Sun May 10, 2020 12:57 pm

gorio

gorio
Silver member
Silver member
volador wrote:Recommend a landscaping company no bloody mower or the such to muck about. More ride time
As  member of the cheap ass Canadian club I have moral obligation to suffer landscaping.
Perhaps I should resign membership and join the list of those freed by hiring it out.
I can almost smell the freedom, the sky seems bluer, the call of the open road slightly louder. the sound of a K revving freely out of a tight bend calling.

Ohh hell you know I to stupid to do it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum