BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Over the years, few third party manufacturers made a fairing for the K100. Here is what I found, but you may know more of them.
Sorry for the quality of the pictures...

Chaplot (French)

Kings (I believe England)

Krauser (Germany)

Pichler (Germany)

Levallois Moto (French)

Ongar (??? doesn't exist anymore)

Sprint (England)

Installed on my K75 but a K100 fairing)

And the same one on Club_C K100

BMW (Germany)

And now something a bit special....

The Ecomobile

The Scorpion from Grinnall in England

The Krauser Domani

Anything missing?

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ned

Life time member
Life time member
Wulf, Germany

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Here is pictures of the Levallois fairing. I just received them from the owner of the bike (in France)

Adiwan Djohanli

Silver member
Silver member
The red Krauser is bautiful....I love it.

Thanks for sharing.

The 'Ongar' appears to be a highly re-done Airhead RS fairing, with which I'm familiar as I've got one! I can say except for it being on an ancient air-cooled motorbike with an equally ancient frame design it has to be one of the best fairing designs for travelling distance or at speed. I lusted after one as a teenager and at age eighteen had a poster of the silver-matte painted original model on the wall of the printing shop where I worked. I fitted one to my R75/7 as soon as I could - what 17 year old can afford the then top of the range BMW? - as I could only cough up the hard-earned coin for the R75 in 1977! No, I didn't sell drugs. It was earnt through more pedestrian pursuits like a paper route, a roadside vegie stall, and chimney sweeping. Point is I had to have that fairing, even if I couldn't afford the bike it came on!

Here's another look at one man's mods to his K-bike using the Airhead RS fairing. It's an almost timeless design that still looks good today.

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Here is another one. Any idea about the manufacturer?

beachcomber

Silver member
Silver member
And here's another - work in progress.................
It's the same route that BMW went down when they were developing the S1000RR - Yam R6 [ '09 ].

The Airhead RS fairing remains a favourite of many riders. I've seen one fitted to a Kawasaki Concours, a Suzuki Bandit, and this fine example, a K75 by the folks at Beemer Boneyard in America. The upper fairing ties nicely into the engine and then the chin spoiler, leaving no real reason to try to modify the lowers to fit the mini 'brick'.

BTW, a good source for spare parts too... http://www.beemerboneyard.com/1sections.html

I love the attention to detail, even the contrasting blue highlights have grown on me.

Life time member
Life time member
Another Krauser this time on a k75s and with krauser luggage...found it on ebay.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Here is another posted by GorverK (this post)
It looks like a Krauser.

duck

Life time member
Life time member
I owned this K75 with a Pichler for a while:

Rifle makes fairings for K bikes too.  They're actually generic fairings that can be fitted to any bike but Rifle does make kits to mount them to Ks and other Beemers.

Here's a link: http://rifle.com/SearchBike.aspx?MakeNo=7

Here's an example of a K75 with a Rifle Sport fairing:

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

brickrider

Life time member
Life time member
This is a very interesting collection of after-market fairings.  I had no idea there were so many.  I say "were" because I doubt that many continue to be available today.
Nice as some may be, the OEM RS model is hard to beat, as far as I'm concerned.  It's very pleasing to the eye and does a fairly good job of protecting the rider at speed.  I was able to ride a lot of high speed miles last summer with my 1985 K100RS, and found that at day's end I felt pretty good (for and old guy). Very Happy

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Moto Martin is (was) a French engineering company, started by Georges Martin, known for its motosport inspired racer style frame kits. The original Moto Martin frame designs were based on the work of Fritz Egli.

This K1 is very rare: Only 20 were built

Martin was well known in France for its work on Kawasaki.

Here is an example of a frame for a 900 Kawasaki. The frame for the BMW K1 was the same style.

tgolden

Silver member
Silver member

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
@tgolden wrote:Here's an '85 K100 with Wulf Gerstenmaier Special that was for sale in Texas on eBay. The bidding didn't meet the reserve price so it didn't sell. It may still be available.

Belongs to the member "Blue water".

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
@Crazy Frog wrote:
This K1 is very rare: Only 20 were built

Some other variations, of the Brune/Martin K1:
 http://classic.brunegmbh.de/html-de/sys-frames/index-de.htm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
This is just a regular K1 fairing but I think the custom roundel decal is one of a kind.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
@Crazy Frog wrote:This K1 is very rare: Only 20 were built
I didn't know that Brune developed the kit with Martin. In fact, pardon my ignorance, but I even never heard of Brune.
Nice international cooperation.  Very Happy

sabino71

here my bmw k100 rt "85 whit an k75s hull
ImagesTime.com - Free Images Hosting

and some instruments added

any suggestions to offer?

best regards to all

sabino

xpc316e

Gold member
Gold member
I too am more than a little surprised by the number of aftermarket fairings for the K, given that the original ones were so good, whether we are discussing RS, or RT.

I suppose that BMW did charge riders a lot of money to sit behind their state of the art fairings, so that must have spurred others to offer similar fairings for less.  Then there was the gap between the K being available, and the arrival of the RS and RT versions, that must have given birth to more variations on a theme.

I do not know how true this is, but the integrated wind tunnel development of the RS meant that we got a motorcycle that had a higher top speed with its panniers fitted, than it did with them removed.  I reckon that most of the aftermarket offerings never made it anywhere a wind tunnel.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
@xpc316e wrote:I do not know how true this is, but the integrated wind tunnel development of the RS meant that we got a motorcycle that had a higher top speed with its panniers fitted, than it did with them removed.  I reckon that most of the aftermarket offerings never made it anywhere a wind tunnel.
I own a K75 with a Sprint fairing and I have to say that I am amazed by the protection that it offers for a small sport fairing.
If I wash the bike and then go for a short ride, when I come back, the droplets of water sitting on the top of the tank as well as the top of the side parts of the fairing are still at the same place when I come back.
If I ride under rain, I always have to stand up on the pegs to get the wind cleaning the water on the helmet shield (I have RT handle bars and sit in an upright position)
The second best option is the double H4 headlight.
I also have to mention that the Sprint encloses the engine and my legs are not cooking by the heat released by the engine.
Third one is wind noise. With the Sprint, air is deflected over the rider and reduces noise in the helmet.
I once rode for over a kilometer with a bumble bee caught in the air bubble created by the fairing. She was traveling with me at 100Km/h

My K100rt solo has an electric windshield, and it offers the same protection as the Sprint with the option to get the air blasting in my face. The problem is that if bought new the cost of the modification from BMW standard to electric is the same as replacing the fairing with a Sprint.

With the Sprint, the drag's coefficient may not be as good as with a true BMW fairing, but it must be very close.

AND.... some people don't want to have a 'standard' K100 and prefer the look of an aftermarket. I believe this is the best explanation for aftermarket fairings.

CF

xpc316e

Gold member
Gold member
Crazy Frog, my initial guess would have been that merely riding a K would have been enough to satisfy the desire to be different gland that some of us have, but obviously for some folks it proved insufficient - you make a fair point.

Your mention of the improved lighting available by purchasing an aftermarket fairing was a factor I had not thought of either.  The twin headlamp Sprint fairing was a really lovely thing in terms of appearance, and of course what looks right, often is right.  Motorcycle lighting has always been the poor relation of that available to those on four wheels, and a problem I have usually tackled by additional spotlights, Cibié headlights, high wattage bulbs, etc., because I have never had the finances to fit a twin headlamp fairing. 

This thread is a good example of why this forum is so good: one offers an opinion, and the along comes another point of view which forces one to return and reconsider the original theory.  Just like a good discussion over a pint in a pub.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
@xpc316e wrote:Just like a good discussion over a pint in a pub.
And this is basically the roman definition of a forum...
Open public space for discussion where everybody can express their opinion.
No censure but just listen then make your own opinion considering what you learned from others.
I will reiterate that look is what drives aftermarket manufacturers to develop new products even if the OEM product is more efficient.
A lot of people don't care if a new fairing is not as efficient as the OEM. If it is more aesthetically pleasing for them, they will get it.

Erman

Gold member
Gold member
I really enjoyed looking at the pedigree of the K-bikes, but I have to admit that my favorite among the above is the black and white fairing with the "apple" logo.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

25Back to top Go down    fairings galore on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Beem me up

what a great lesson in fairing history and lore!  Loved it.  Took me days to surf all this and links!
Thanks everybody

kjo

Interesting info -- quite the variety of choices...

Darrenptalbot

I've got a sprint fairing for sale in teh Uk if anyone wants it?  Its the twin headlight version - £75, with collection preferred!

Link is here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301349990484?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
@Darrenptalbot wrote:I've got a sprint fairing for sale in teh Uk if anyone wants it?  Its the twin headlight version - £75, with collection preferred!

Link is here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301349990484?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Great price for that. but Best place is Buy and sell on here

Last edited by Be made on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
@xpc316e wrote: . . . I do not know how true this is, but the integrated wind tunnel development of the RS meant that we got a motorcycle that had a higher top speed with its panniers fitted, than it did with them removed.  I reckon that most of the aftermarket offerings never made it anywhere a wind tunnel.
That sounds about right.

My unfaired K goes around 15k's faster (believe it or not) with my partner and panniers on the back as opposed to just me riding it

As for the wind tunnel . .  man . . I tell ya . .  back in 1990 - 1992 . . .after stropping over the North Island of NZ and back every weekend for a year (from Hamilton to Napier) the R100RS I had was an absolute delight.

Not a single drop of water touched you, in pissing down hard rain, unless you went below about 55kph, and then the air-bubble created by the fairing design popped and you got soaked. Magic . .  absolute magic.

But, with it's big petrol tank I could do non stop runs, 285k's all up in around 2.5 hours. So the winter rains never bothered me. It was a 3 to 4 hour trip in a car

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Guest wrote: . . . it has to be one of the best fairing designs for travelling distance or at speed.  . . . the Airhead RS fairing. It's an almost timeless design that still looks good today.
It still IS .

Unsurpassed wet weather and wind protection, think about that!

1976 the did this - and now it is almost 2016. Nearly 40 years and still the best protection ever offered. When they did that wind tunnel testing they hit the jackpot and nobody has ever been able to improve on the design.  . . and prossibly never will!

I cannot speak highly enough of the R100RS, I really can't.

To my mind that model was the best boxer ever made. But, alas . . . I owned mine for 3 years. wow. I was dumb and stupid back then. I ripped the fairing off and  . . . . here goes . .  BINNED IT! And customised the bike, rather heavily, like what I have done to my current K

If I have the opportunity over the next few years then I will be buying an R100RS for winter riding

The only drawback with them was the heat off the engine. GREAT foot warmers in winter but a little too warm in summer. Nothing like a K1 but still too warm for comfort

jbt

Silver member
Silver member
@Crazy Frog wrote:Here is another one. Any idea about the manufacturer?

Yes, this is a Schmotte fairing. Quite unusual...

By the way, King's fairings were french made, . They were very popular in the eighties, mostly fitted on japanese 4 cylinders big bikes. A small serie was made for the K100, but it couldn't match the K100RT genuine fairing, yet it was an excellent fairing, I used one on a GPZ 1100 for 2 years, I could roll my cigarettes when riding...

; I wrote an article 2 years ago about these fairings, I found its creator who was very pleased that someone remembered about. Some versions had directionnal lights, mounted on pivots and activated with a rod on the upper triple clamp. Final version had square lamps.

I'm going to buy tonight a K100 with a Pichler fairing, I'll make pics about it.

kuk

@Crazy Frog wrote:Anything missing?
TCP. 1987  Spain

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Nice to be able to use the RS mirrors.

David Nimrod

Silver member
Silver member
My red 1984 K100, fitted with a Rickman touring fairing, Paris, mid 1980's sometime.

K100 at the Eiffel Tower. by David Sillitoe, on Flickr

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum