BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Front Crank Seal Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Clcinjax

First time poster here. The front seal on my K100RS was leaking. I have replaced this seal twice and it is still leaking. Clearly I am doing somehting incorrectly when I install it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

2Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:16 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Ehhh, which seal? Wink

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Front Crank Seal Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:00 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Are you talking about the seal on the back of the Hall sensors (#2)?

Front Crank Seal Front_10

4Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Front Crank Seal Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Clcinjax

I am talking about the seal behind the Hall Sensor (#2).

5Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:06 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
There is nothing special in the installation of this seal.
Are you installing a BMW seal or an after market one?
Are you installing the seal correctly: The lips should be oriented toward the inside of the engine.
Did you check for any crack on the front cover?

6Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:45 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, you can also check the lip working surface on the crank.
Best regards
JAP

7Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Crank seal Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Clcinjax

Thank you. I am using a BMW seal. I have checked installation and have installed according to your description. I have also checked the cover for cracks. Would it help if instead of installing the seal flush if I offset it similiar to the way the rear main seal is installed? Is there a specail tool. I have just been using a socket. This is very frustrating since, as you said, it should be very straight forward.

8Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Clcinjax

japuentes wrote:Hi there, you can also check the lip working surface on the crank.
Best regards
JAP

Are you saying there may be a grove in the crank and I should offest? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

9Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Yes this is exactly what Jap is saying.
Sometimes the shaft is worn and a groove has formed where the seal is riding on the shaft, and sometimes you can have rubber deposit from the old seal.

10Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:52 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi guys ...first post here

but from past experience on all sorts of vehicles, if you are replacing a seal , its always a good idea to linish the area first before putting in the new seal , as has been said , pitting of the main shaft near where the old seal used to wear is verry common , in any case by linishing you give the new seal the oportunity too "bed in " to the shaft and form a good seal , a bit like lightly honing a bore on a pistonchamber when fitting new rings ..just get some fine "wet and dry" about an inch wide and 6 + inches long and in a push pull motion wrap the abrasive around the shaft (well half of it ) and work your way around so that it litely scores -buffs off the marks left from the previous wear as best you can without going over board ...you should see a dull but smooth metal apearance when complete ...no shiney bits around the seal contact area ...then you are ready for the installation of the new seal . go carefully with the seal taking care not to damage the inner contact area (a bit of light oil helps).when sliding the new seal into place then use your socket etc to fitt it off ... hope this helps

Last edited by charlie99 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)

11Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:39 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Well said Charlie, good information for those of us who have never done it before.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Front Crank Seal Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Clcinjax

Thanks for all your replies. I replaced the seal, again, offset it and also cleaned the area as noted. So far so good. I never thought something so easy would be such a pain.

13Back to top Go down   Front Crank Seal Empty Re: Front Crank Seal Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:hi guys ...first post here

but from past experience on all sorts of vehicles, if you are replacing a seal , its always a good idea to linish the area first before putting in the new seal , as has been said , pitting of the main shaft near where the old seal used to wear is verry common , in any case by linishing you give the new seal the oportunity too "bed in " to the shaft and form a good seal , a bit like lightly honing a bore on a pistonchamber when fitting new rings ..just get some fine "wet and dry" about an inch wide and 6 + inches long and in a push pull motion wrap the abrasive around the shaft (well half of it ) and work your way around so that it litely scores -buffs off the marks left from the previous wear as best you can without going over board ...you should see a dull but smooth metal apearance when complete ...no shiney bits around the seal contact area ...then you are ready for the installation of the new seal . go carefully with the seal taking care not to damage the inner contact area (a bit of light oil helps).when sliding the new seal into place then use your socket etc to fitt it off ... hope this helps

Totally agree. New seal must have good surface to seal against.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum