BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference Empty Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:55 am

Helmut118

K bike cross reference:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Helmut118

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Folks,
One REALLY important thing to remember if you plan to use a substitute filter on a K Bike is to be sure it is intended to be immersed in hot oil both inside and outside. The interesting design of our K's has the filter located inside the oil pan so it is sitting inside an oil bath with oil going round both sides of the filter case.

There are many excellent filters that are painted on the outside whereas the genuine BMW one is plain metal with a little printing on, I have heard of cases where the paint has partially come off non genuine filters due to being immersed in hot oil, OK the filter will hopefully filter the bits out but not good for the bike I am sure.
Regards,
K-BIKE

sprocket

Silver member
Silver member
I amost went with the painted one today Delco, I wondered about the paint circulating in the engine when it fell off the filter and the BMW filter I got was Heavier and put my mind at ease..(no Paint)

Good point K-Bike

Thinking is good!

Sprocket.

I've tried a lot of different filters on my various Beemers over the years. Cut 'em open and they're all very different inside. I used to sell moto-only filters back a while ago in another lifetime. You'd be amazed at what's not inside the filter that should be on some major brand names. Some of the non-specific painted filters can and do work fine inside your olde K-bike's guts. As it's been written here and other sites, be sure to peel any sticker off the canister before you fit it.

At the end of the day I am happy with the non-genuine, unpainted, unstickered 'Donit' brand from Motobins @ about AU$9.00 each shipped down to OZ from the UK with the drain plug washer, big and small o-rings and the dual-use tool included (which allows the tool to fit the new K12/13 series and later R12 Hexheads filters).

In addition: With the often ridiculously exorbitant prices we are expected to pay for BMW spares Down Under, I buy them six or eight at a time for a year's use when I need other spares to replenish stocks in my moto larder. I worked for a dog's age in BMW dealerships as parts manager and attempted to maintain a reasonable and competitive pricing policy for our customers. The majority of local dealers and after-market spares providers down here might think us affluent for the brand of bike we prefer to ride, enjoy and maintain, but most of my riding mates don't patronise the local spare parts suppliers; we are not stupid with where our hard-earned money goes, even if it means it leaves these sun-drenched shores.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum