BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 am

kg4miq

Hello all,
I hate being the "new guy," but I'm just getting started in this sport. I figured I'm in my mid-to-late 30s, it's time for some "big boy" toys. I've ridden ATVs and such, but very rarely a motorcycle, and usually only an off-road type. Am in the process of purchasing a 1985 K100RT with only 13,680-ish miles. Previous owner bought it new in Germany in '85, brought it home to the states and kept it since then. He's a buddy from work, and I mentioned I was looking at possibly getting a bike, and I was interested in BMWs. He said he had one he'd sell, since he's upgraded to an R1200, and he'd hate to see this one just sitting. I have to get a new battery and registration, but as soon as I got it home I gave it a bath. I've connected a jumper battery and it fired right up! Purrs like a kitten! SCORE! Now, I just need to get all the other stuff to ride safely! Still very new to the sport and getting acquainted with the vocabulary and etiquette, so bear with me, I might make a few mistakes.

Here's what I have:
Absolute Newbie 5599938674_560604d40d_b

Absolute Newbie 5599356333_e5cef756cd_b

(Note the missing fairing panel cover...I could sure use one, if anyone has a spare lying around!!!) Corbin saddle is comfy!
Absolute Newbie 5599356537_2207398bfe_b

Yes, those are the actual documented miles...not a replacement set of gauges.
Yes, I plan on running Seafoam through a few tanks of gas.
Yes, the fuel pump is on my "watch list."
Yes, I'll lube the drive splines.
Yes, I'll keep an eye on the center stand for cracks and rust.
Yes, I've checked the cooling fan.
Yes, I do have the pannier bags and trunk bag, but forgot to put them back on before taking the photo. Sorry.
Yes, it does have the typical exhaust rattle at 2400-2700 RPM (for fear of making a faux pas, I hesitate to say this, but it seems a large hose clamp strategically placed might fix this problem - I'll readily admit to not knowing enough about this issue yet - I'm sure someone on this forum has come up with an elegant (translation: inexpensive and effective) solution).

See, I've been reading a bit already. :cyclops:

I'm impressed by the wealth of knowledge and expertise and willingness to share with your fellow riders! I've learned so much in such a short period of time already!

Thanks much,
Tim
Alabama

Last edited by kg4miq on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 am

A good score for the Crimson Tide! That looks to be a nice example you've got there, and low, low mileage too! Get the oils and fluids changed (unless the PO documented those recently too) and get on down the highway, you'll then be able to sort out what she might need. Be careful with too, too many amps from a booster charger though. There's some delicate electronics aboard. Congratulations, and welcome to the forum from Down Under.
cheers

3Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, what he said!

Welcome to the forum Tim!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forum, great bike enjoy.

BIG D

5Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:11 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
From one newbie to another, a nice looking beast. I only hope I can get mine to look like that after it arrives in a day or so.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

6Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers tim ....nice ride .......hope to hear more from you soon ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 pm

philthy

You did very well, Tim! How's "Mungumry" nowadays? I was stationed at Gunter back in the early 80s. Is ole Emory Folmar still around?

8Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Tim. Looks like you found a nice low mileage specimen!

OG

9Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:58 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome on board. BTW, look carefully at the tires, bet they are originals. If so, can easily be dry rotted after 26 years. Put a tire change high on the list of priorities.

10Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Welcome on board.

You don't have a missing cover on your fairing but a missing radio.
I can see the wiring laying in.
Here is one for sale but you should first check with a BMW dealer if you can get the security code for the radio.
Without this code, the unit is unusable.

CF

11Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard. Congratulations on snagging a fine example of the RT breed; you'll be happy with the bike when you get it all serviced and farkled. I'm jealous because I would love that seat.

The resonance you're getting from the exhaust may be a loose heat shield due to broken mounts. This is easily repaired and I've written a tutorial on the subject. It can be found in the Tutorial section:

Installing a "BMW Muffler Repair Kit" P/N 9500500390.

12Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 am

kg4miq

philthy, "the gump" is about like it always has been...not much changes around here. Folmar's still around, and he occasionally pops up in an interview on TV or such, but he's no longer mayor. Kinda' miss the ole' codger.

club_c, yes, tires are at the top of the priority list. Rear is newer than the front, but probably only has about 5k miles left on it. Front is original, and I was examining it closely last night. Wife says "get some new ones!" Who am I to argue???

CF, is there a cover I can put there temporarily, rather than a radio? I've got other plans for that spot eventually.

Robert, exactly the information I was seeking! Thanks very much!

13Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:58 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Tim,

Since TWB referenced the 'Tide, you didn't mention your 'affiliation'. So I'll ask . . .are you Tide or Tiger? Not that it matters here--a terrific bunch of folks on this board, and invaluable info.

I lived in Tuscaloosa from '87-'89 as a Yankee beatnik grad student. Had the time of my life . . . Roll Tide!

Bob

14Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm

kg4miq

bobgass wrote:Tim,

Since TWB referenced the 'Tide, you didn't mention your 'affiliation'. So I'll ask . . .are you Tide or Tiger? Not that it matters here--a terrific bunch of folks on this board, and invaluable info.

I lived in Tuscaloosa from '87-'89 as a Yankee beatnik grad student. Had the time of my life . . . Roll Tide!

Bob

ROOOOLLLLLLLL TIDE, ROLL!

15Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:30 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
In my second year in Tuscaloosa I bought a '74 Honda CB 360 from a kid who drove it to Alabama from Olathe, Kansas. It didn't need a title, apparently, because it was old enough--just had to go to the DMV and register it.

I knocked around on that for a whole year, riding all over North and West Alabama and Mississippi. Sold it to a guy when I moved out for what I paid for it--passed it on. I think I was watching "Easy Rider" a lot that year, but a Harley would have clashed with my sandals and "rope-for-a-belt."

16Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Tim,
Welcome aboard.
Regards,
K-BIKE

17Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 am

kg4miq

Finished repairing the odometer, and took my first "real" road trip today. Put about 200 miles or so on the bike to go visit friends for Memorial Day. Great day for a ride!

Absolute Newbie First_11

18Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Ohhhh yaaa!!

19Back to top Go down   Absolute Newbie Empty Re: Absolute Newbie Tue May 31, 2011 2:23 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Gotta love that truck in the background huh. You guys have it made yes sir.
RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum