BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty K-bike Heat Management Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:07 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I have collected numerous articles from around the web regarding the heat problems with the K100 & K1100 series bikes with suggestions on how to solve the issues. I converted the articles into a PDF file and Crazy Frog graciously uploaded the document to the Download section of this site.

I'll own this document. If other members have different suggestions for content that should be included in this document, please PM me and I'll do my best to integrate the suggestion and update the copy in the download section.

Last edited by robmack on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Great stuff Robmack! thanks for posting this!

OG

3Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:14 pm

This is not such an issue as much with RS models (except perhaps in hottest Outback OZ or typical Melbourne/Sydney traffic) but there are quite a few good mods that would easily translate to them. I've cut and shaped a sort of easy to cut, semi-rigid, open-cell foam under the fairing panels and round the fuel hoses with good effect. I have basically blocked air coming back at my left and right knees through the inner fairing panels. It's not visible and at 30mm thick adds some measure of noise control too.

4Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:23 am

Jhepburn

Jhepburn
Silver member
Silver member
Two Wheels Better wrote:This is not such an issue as much with RS models (except perhaps in hottest Outback OZ or typical Melbourne/Sydney traffic) but there are quite a few good mods that would easily translate to them. I've cut and shaped a sort of easy to cut, semi-rigid, open-cell foam under the fairing panels and round the fuel hoses with good effect. I have basically blocked air coming back at my left and right knees through the inner fairing panels. It's not visible and at 30mm thick adds some measure of noise control too.

As a Brisbanite ... Could you possibly post photos or more details? I use my RS for everything and chose to let my car rego lapse when it needed more money spent on it, so heat is something I am intimately familiar with.

Slainte,
Jonathan

5Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Mine has modified side panels, so the heat dont reach your legs, they are insulated and also channel the hot air to the back of the bike.

K-bike Heat Management K100rs11

6Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Wow, now that is what I call a solution! Cool Any pics of the side panels off so we can see your design!?

OG

7Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:45 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Interesting, japuentes! I've seen this side panel solution in a picture some other place on the web (can't recall now). I'd be interested to see how this is done so that I can add the content to my document.

8Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
There used to be a couple of guys who sold fill in panels but by the time I got round to planning an order they had exhausted all stocks and were not planning to make more but the guy making the infill panels looks like the go though.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:08 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, mine are home made fiber glass.
They are secured to the bike by two pressure lugs, a pin (like the original one) and one screw to the tank lugs.

[img]K-bike Heat Management Img00810[/img]

The back is isolated

[img]K-bike Heat Management Img00811[/img]

The must dificult parts was made them thin and curved, so the bike stays as slim as possible.

[img]K-bike Heat Management Img00812[/img]

Ive been working on them for the las 3 years (this is ver 2) and had no heat problems with the bike or myself
Best regards
JAP

10Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Luv it!
Thanks for posting pics JAP! Cool

OG

11Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 pm

[/quote]As a Brisbanite ... Could you possibly post photos or more details? I use my RS for everything and chose to let my car rego lapse when it needed more money spent on it, so heat is something I am intimately familiar with.

Slainte,
Jonathan[/quote]

Same story here. I don't drive, only ride, so all weather/temperatures affect me to a 'degree'. I attempted to post photos yesterday when I wrote this but the system wasn't working. I'll give it a go again later on.

Here's the easy-to-cut foam that I sculpted to fit underneath the fairing panels and beside the engine to reduce the hot airflow reaching my legs. It's readily available from home hardware shops.
K-bike Heat Management Dscf2410

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add a picture and description.)

12Back to top Go down   K-bike Heat Management Empty Re: K-bike Heat Management Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice find TWB and a very good price too!

OG

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum