BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Sunny Canberra, Australia Empty Hello from Sunny Canberra, Australia Mon May 30, 2011 1:37 am

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
Hello folks.

I was on holiday in California in March 2010, and wanted to a bit of motorcycling, having not owned a bike for over 20 years. I bought a 1987 K100RT and had a ball, and liked the bike so much I brought it home with me. It's a bit ratty cosmetically, but rock-solid reliable and does all I require.

I've knocked out 20,000 kms on it since then, and just want to ride it more and more. And more. I also quite enjoy the maintenance on the whole - so far I've done 2 final drive and one input spline lube(s) and taken the gear box out to do the "grub screw tightening rumba". What a lark!

Anyway, I've been prompted to post here because I want to get at the files section. While I'm here, does everyone agree with Haynes that you can replace the headlight bulb without taking off the windscreen or instrument cluster? I can only just reach in there, and before I yank out the socket I'd like a second opinion.

Yours in K100RT solidarity,
Richard

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
Welcome,
I had a tough time getting the bulb holder out of mine when I took the fairing off. Seemed to be stuck with some sort of residue but is fine now. I suggest the screen and instruments are easy to get off so may be worth doing.

Pete

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
Yep, took the screen off and that made it doable. I really don't know what Mr Churchill was thinking.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi,
Welcome to the forum, I suspect he may have been looking at one of the other versions or had real small hands.
Regards,
K-BIKE

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome rickety ...some nice folks here ......heres hoping you get all the right answers ....

screen off is a big help in getting in there .....but you could do it if you pull the left side pocket out ....about 6 screws

thats my little suggestion

cheers mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi, welcome from luke warm Scotland Laughing
enjoy the forum,

BIG D

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Hey from warmish but getting colder New Zealand Rickety. Great place for all the important info here. And if you cant find it, just ask, someone is bound to know and will let you know, or even find out for you! :-) Have fun

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome Rickety. I also have only been here a short while and found the info and people fantastic.

As you can see I hail from Canberra as well. You will have to keep an eye out as they are going to organise a get together later in the yaer at Araluen. I couldn't make the one at Urunga and I am still spewing.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
CanberraDave wrote:You will have to keep an eye out as they are going to organise a get together later in the yaer at Araluen.

Who are "they"?

What kind of riding do you do Dave? I like day/weekend rides out into the country around Canberra, particularly the Snow Mountains (in summer).

Thanks for all of your warm welcomes everyone, much appreciated Smile

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Rickety, "they" are the aussie contingent on the board. A few guys from Qld rode down to Urunga and a couple from NSW rode up. If you look under Get together in the Trips and Meetings folder you will be able to follow the organising and see a few picks. Very helpful folk when you have a question. RT has already helped me out heaps and I had only been on the board for a couple of days.

My riding is mostly to work but about once every month or so I do a rally. Last one was the Loaded Dog and the next for me is the Casper just past Taralgo about 70km from Goulburn. Back to basics, only luxury is a long drop toilet. My K100 isn't on the road yet so I use my Monster 1100S. Can't wait to get the K on the road though.

Happy for you to PM me if you want to know more.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah you better "make it" dave .... giggles.... ifn you need help im sure there are a few around willing to help ... i could thoroughly recomend a visit to rt ....hes a funny bugga ...had me laughing all night ...

yeah i loved the ride out past stomlo ...to corin and back by the southern route, to tuggers ..of corse maccas was always a welcome sight ...

the "get together" thread can be found here http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t2102-get-together

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
Easiest way to get at the headlight bulb is to remove one of the fairing pockets. Being right handed I remove the right hand one.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ricketyclik, welcome. If I ever get my overheating problem sorted out I'll buzz you and Dave and have a latte somewhere around your part of the world.
Post a pic of your bike, I have friends in Canberra so I can tell them to watch out for you.

Stout

Oi! Don't forget about me!!!

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well Well, the Canberra chapter is growing isn't it. Sorry Stout, my mind is on thermostats and beer apparently. My home brew is suffering cause of this poxy weather.
Cheers RT.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum rickerty you will get used to the strange people here including me.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RT wrote:Well Well, the Canberra chapter is growing isn't it. Sorry Stout, my mind is on thermostats and beer apparently. My home brew is suffering cause of this poxy weather.
Cheers RT.

I gave away brewing my own beer RT it was cutting into my drinking time something shocking.

Stout

I still haven't resumed brewing my own since returning from overseas two and a half years ago. I sold my entire previous setup before going away in late 2005. I now have all new kegging gear ready to go (brought it back with me from the US) just haven't got back into it.

The trick, RT, is to use lager yeasts, then it doesn't matter how horrible the weather, your beer keeps happily fermenting away even down around 10-12 degrees C.

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
RT wrote:Hi Ricketyclik, welcome. If I ever get my overheating problem sorted out I'll buzz you and Dave and have a latte somewhere around your part of the world.
Post a pic of your bike, I have friends in Canberra so I can tell them to watch out for you.

Here's a pic of the Big Blue: Hello from Sunny Canberra, Australia Danny_12

Last edited by ricketyclik on Tue May 31, 2011 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
Stout wrote:Oi! Don't forget about me!!!

Anotheree!

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
We should have a brew off sometime. Nice bike. I must be the only owner with old footpeg holder plates. I find the vibration soothes the gout. Nice colour too.
And K-Freak, it is a purely economical decision to brew my own, and we have pristine water here, like you must. Good luck with the old fart rally, wish I was old enough HA.

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
After a year and a half of wrestling with my K100RT I've cut my losses and bought a 1995 K1100LT-P.  I've only ridden it to the registry and home so far, but it seems nice enough Smile

I presume I'm still welcome here, but does anyone know of a K1100 forum with a similar level of activity from Australian riders?  Maybe some crossover with this forum?

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Has it got a K in it and comes from Bavaria?....welcome mate.

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Hello from Sunny Canberra, Australia Au-log10

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome back rickety ..!

hey, what happened to the old k ? is she resting somewhere ? or sold in exchange for the new one ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:welcome back rickety ..!

hey, what happened to the old k ? is she resting somewhere ? or sold in exchange for the new one ?

I've got her.  I'll either work at getting her running again at my leisure or (more likely) cannibalise her for parts on the 1100.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good man !

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ah Ha another one come over to the other side, well a parallel track more likely.
Stay here mate it's the only worthwhile brick forum going and a K1100 is still a brick in anyones language.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

28Back to top Go down   Hello from Sunny Canberra, Australia Empty Hello from Sunny Canberra, Australia Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 am

michaellaw

michaellaw
im glad about that rick I only just got here I aint leaving yet my bike wont start Very Happy

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
let me know if a head from the k100 comes available rickety (right price of course )

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:let me know if a head from the k100 comes available rickety (right price of course )

I'm always open to offers Smile

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers mate.... hope the other one works out good for you .

would be good to se you up a Tottenham for the rally at "far cairn" lots of bmws will be there by the sound of it

"k"s as well ....wooop!!!

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Nice one Rickety, are the k1200s almost the same as the k100s, rode one the other day, a GT, went like a turbine, are they virtually identical and qualify too for the forum?? not brought one, big price rise and the K100RT does the job well enough even with only 8 valves.

Rick
K IWI land
New Zealand

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum