You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Diesel powered bike on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Interested in a cleaner engine for the environment?
Check this: Diesel powered bike flower

2Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:49 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Along with V8 snowblowers there seems to be a pattern emerging of people with too much time on their hands. Smile

However the diesel motorcycle would be OK in Europe and NZ at least but the cost here is at least 30c a litre more! than Unleaded fuel so I will have to convert the K to LPG.

Any takers??

3Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
Seems likea good idea but like a lot of these ideas, initial costs can be high. I remember falling in love with the Ecomobile when I read about it in the eighties but the cost was as out of this world as the design. Check out http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdkZB9-Sd4.
Seen an article last year where a guy in England converted a Yamaha XT500 to run on LPG using a kit from the States for a snowmobile?
He had some interesting mods on the bike including single sided front suspension. Very neat.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down    Wrong link on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
Sorry, posted the wrong link. Put ecomobile into the youtube search to see what I mean.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:38 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
A quick glance shows you where most of the parts come from but the specs on:

http://www.ecomobile.com/Super-Eco%20specification.htm

are quite interesting especially regarding the gearbox, weight, top speed and fuel economy.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:27 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
More pictures can be seen in one of my previous posting:
More pictures

7Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:26 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
From their website they have been around since 1985 and since they are using K engines now you would assume they started out as a K100.

As far as the diesel motorcycles go it appears they are in production too so the next few years should prove interesting.

8Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
The first Ecomobiles used the 8 valve K100 engine. Seem to remember figures like 80+mpg and 150mph from standard motor due to aerodynamics. There was talk of a turbo version being developed that they reckoned would be able to hit 200mph.
The newer 1200 versions must be interesting!

9Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:47 pm

I was just perusing some sites for interesting K-bikes and these images came up...

Mercedes 800cc diesel.

Daihatsu 1000cc turbo diesel.

I leave the subjective subject to the viewer as beauty often lies in the eyes of the beerholder. drunken

10Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Two Wheels Better wrote:I leave the subjective subject to the viewer as beauty often lies in the eyes of the beerholder. drunken
It must be a Molson Brador

1986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML sidecar. 

11Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
If ever a bike cried out for a fully enclosed fairing...
Noise must be horrific too.

12Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Alex_GER

Silver member
Silver member
I once arrived at a gas station at the same time with another K driver. I told him that he's at the wrong tap when I noticed something's wrong with his K...
Same bike that TWB posted...

Last edited by Alex_GER on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : pics)

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

13Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:10 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
Alex_GER wrote:I once arrived at a gas station at the same time with another K driver. I told him that he's at the wrong tap when I noticed something's wrong with his K...
Same bike that TWB posted...

Arrow Is that a cd multi changer bolted on the side Question . . looks like the bike is a little on the heavy side Wink

14Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:57 pm

With all of the regulations in place in Europe how could these blokes get these experiments past TUV, etc? And RAM can't even get their well-designed/built and certainly not 'homemade' shockies on the road there (until they pass their tests)! I think the heavy bike suits the rider...time for his stein of ale and some braunschweiger.

15Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
Drive through beer keller . . Very Happy also maybe he is filling the bike up with veggie oil . .

16Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:17 pm

The one bloke on the forum where I found these pictures says he uses ex-chips fat in his diesel moto! It's plentiful and, well, cheap as chips. The aroma that wafts behind him must have Macca's lovers salivating! pig

17Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Alex_GER

Silver member
Silver member
Getting something through the TÜV is no issue as long as you get a 'Einzelabnahme' (an engineer having a look, testing, driving, thinking, calculating or pretending). That would be easily possible with the RAM shox as well, it's just expensive. The easiest alternative for a customer would be, if the item has a 'Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis' (ABE) meaning that the producer already gave the item to engineers and they approved it, giving the customer the opprtunity to put it in and carrying with him the ABE. Problem: Cheap for the customer, but expensive for the producer...

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

18Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:06 pm

I remember when living in America for a time that if it fit in the engine bay (since no one was looking) you could put anything in there and call it good. A mate had a Ford Pinto with a 351ci wedged in, another a 600cc Suzuki sportsbike with an 1100cc motor fitted, & etc. Dunno if it's still like that there - I suspect they have other more important things to bother about at the mo'. Here in OZ there are governmental regulations but people still manage to be creative in their interpretation of 'the rules'. A little cash payola doesn't hurt either.

19Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:32 pm

BIG D

Life time member
Life time member
Cool

This is a Robin engine powerd Enfield that was out some years back they also put the engine into a MZ frame.

BIG D

20Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:34 pm

BIG D

Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Just found a pic of the MZ model.

BIG D

21Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:38 pm

BIG D

Life time member
Life time member
Cool
I love that enfield model, as long as you did not want to go anywhere in a hurry you could just potter around the country lanes, and fill her up once a month Very Happy .

BIG D

22Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
OMG, I remember in the late 70s having friends riding MZs. We were all students (or young adults having their first 'real' jobs) and didn't have a lot of money. The MZs were the poor man's bikes. They were not bad......... for the price Smile but, we were all dreaming about a powerful rice cooker like the Honda 750 four or another inaccessible dream bike like the 900cc Kawasaki. Almost a liter of row power. Man if you had one of these, all the chicks wanted to have you picking them up at the college! Damn, I was poor Embarassed

23Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 pm

92KK K100LT 193214

Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:OMG, I remember in the late 70s having friends riding MZs. We were all students (or young adults having their first 'real' jobs) and didn't have a lot of money. The MZs were the poor man's bikes.  They were not bad......... for the price  Smile but, we were all dreaming about a powerful rice cooker like the Honda 750 four or another inaccessible dream bike like the 900cc Kawasaki. Almost a liter of row power. Man if you had one of these, all the chicks wanted to have you picking them up at the college! Damn, I was poor Embarassed

Not if you had Michael Breoker's Daihatsu Turbo BMW K100:

24Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:46 pm

sidecar paul

Life time member
Life time member
Here's my friend's 'Astranomical BMW'..........a Vauxhall Astra 1700 diesel in the rear of the sidecar and K100 cycle parts (modified a bit!) 

Sidecar wheel drive too.

Paul.

25Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Thanks Paul.

Any pictures of the link from the engine to the bike's wheel?
It should be interesting.

Is the cooling fan pulling hot air or pushing fresh air into the radiator?
If the engine is on the sidecar, what did he do to fill the void where the original engine was? The engine is part of the structure of the K100 frame.

If everything works, it must have been some serious engineering thinking to have the bike safely running. We'd love to see more pictures.

CF

26Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:27 pm

sidecar paul

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bert,
I think the fuel tank ended up where the K engine used to be.

The builder started it in August and arrived at a sidecar rally the following April! And he's not retired.

Here are some more pics.

That's the gear change lever coming up where the petrol cap used to be.

Paul.

27Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:12 pm

groverK

Life time member
Life time member
with the gear shift in the top of the tank, and the rear bike wheel non attached to the bike ( no swingarm),the engine mounted in the sidecar, it is basically a car with bike attached.
 so in reality , the rider is driving the car from the bike saddle.
you wouldn't get the same rear suspension feeling as a rider. are you a bike rider or a car driver sitting on the outside .

how do the forces play effect in this configuration compared to the R75 / KS 750 / and HD XA ?

adding diesel engines would change the weight to the bike significantly I would expect.

28Back to top Go down    Re: Diesel powered bike on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Your friend is really thinking 'out of the box'. The result is just amazing.
Please invite him to join the forum. He could be a great mentor for all of us wanting to make the ultimate K bike.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum