BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:22 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
I got back from riding yesterday and found that I have quite a substantial gas leak. It seems to be dripping from the insulation under the tank. I'm new to the K (April 29 '11 was my first ride on my new bike) and haven't needed to do anything to the bike so far, i.e., inexperienced with the K.

I searched the site and followed the advice and also used the downloadable Clymer & Haynes manuals. But, where the heck are those clips at the back of the tank? (I have '90 K 100 RS.) I see what looks like a bolt at each side of the bottom of the rear of the tank. I've poked with needle nose pliers into the tiny area available around a bright colored washer piece that could be the clip. However, it did not move with moderate to heavy pulling with the pliers. Is there a trick? I don't want to break anything.

Also, the bike was on its centre stand and the gas leaked onto the bottom part of the black inside part if the fairing (knee pad?). The area that go soaked with gas seems to be distorted now. Is there any fix for that?

Thanks ahead for any advice. Ken

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
I already replied, but I guess I forgot to save it .... I really need vacation to relax!
Why do you want to ride the bike Ken? tomorrow will be only 8° in CB. Hope your skidoo is still operational!
Here I go again...

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I have found that the majority of Ks the clips have gone probably because they are a PITA. Try to lift the tank to see if it will come off.
The lugs that the clips go on are about 12mm round with a groove about 2mm from the bottom where the clips go and it can be very difficult to get them on or off like I said they may not be there. The lugs go into some rubber grommets and when you fit the tank you can feel it go into the grommets and that in itself holds the tank firmly in place so that you may think it is held properly in place but only needs a hefty pull up to release it.

The leak is most likely from the area under the pump on the left side at the lowest point where water and all the crud gathers and eventually eats a hole.

I have fixed many of these by using an epoxy strip which I get from the auto store. It's a strip about 25mm wide and has two parts a blue and white strip side by side and you kneed it till it is all mixed up and then stick it onto the clean metal surface you have prepared round the offending hole.
I have found there are two types of the epoxy strip one for plastic and one for metal of course you use the metal one.
I repaired both my K75 and K100 about 4-5 years ago and both are still ok and the K 1100 was welded so that is just how common it is.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:47 pm

My tank's circlips have been 'missing' for ages and I've not bothered to replace them. The only problem would be if I had an unplanned get-off and the bike went upside down for a time. The tank could dislodge itself from the rear mounts as the only things holding it on would be the clamped hoses and the rubber dongies at the front. Not too much drama, really, considering the bike being upside down for a time... Wink

5Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Bert & K Freak. I think the clips are both there but being little buggers to get out. I'll try again.

Bert, I did start a fire in the wood stove tonight. That was after visiting another fisherman friend for yet another lobster feed. Only 2 1/2 tonight -- well below my usual scarf of 4 to 5.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 am

walker

Silver member
Silver member
Mine were missing but the tank was seated enough that it felt "clipped" down. A good tug & popped right up.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:06 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks. It appears from the diagram that Bert sent that my clips are missing, although I'm not 100% sure. I do see a groove with nothing inserted. However, I'm not sure since a good tug does not move the lugs up through the hole. I tried to pry each lug upwards using a long screw driver and the bottom wider part of the lug does not seem to fit through the hole. How hard can I leverage this before the bracket that contains the hole gets deformed? In Bert's diagram, is part 14 a loose part that comes off of the lug after the clip is removed? When K Freak called this a PITA, he was being overly kind to the designer.

8Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:24 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
I got on the BMW Motorcycles of Chattanooga site and found that the part 14 I had asked about in my last message is just a grommet. (That site is very helpful.) So, I guess I can assume that everything metallic, except for a clip, stays with the tank and needs to be tugged up through the hole in the retaining/supporting bracket.

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
You are 100% right.

10Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:42 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks, Bert. The tank raises up as far as the nub at the bottom of the lag and will go no further.

11Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
You may want to try to inject some lub into the gromets (Vaseline or better, Jig-A-Loo)
Jig-A-Loo is a lubricant found at Canadian Tire and contains no oil, grease, wax, petroleum distillates or detergent. I am really impress with it and use it everywhere at home.
If you lift the tank right to the nubs and you don't have the clips, you should be able to remove the tank.

12Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:43 pm

All made easier with as little petrol in the tank as possible, a good firm pull, and the knowledge that there are two rubber dongies at the front that the tank slides/pivots onto, and also that the fuel lines will want to be released at some stage in the tugging. Don't forget to rid them of pressure.

I love the Canadian sense of humour. A lubricant named Jig-A-Loo. How very apt. I wonder if it's found other uses down dark alleys off the Rue Saint-Catherine.

Ba domb.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:49 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
I heard that Jig-A-Loo was invented in the dark alleys off Rue St-Catherine and spread throughout the land, from hand-to-hand.

14Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm thinking possibly tube to proverbial cheek, too.

15Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
How do you know rue Ste Catherine?
I've been there many times but never met you!

Did I said that I am using Jig-A-Loo everywhere in the house?
Sorry, I wanted to say 'almost everywhere'. Smile
Years ago, I was using a silicone spray from 3M, but they stopped selling it. Jig-A-Loo is the best replacement that I found.

16Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 pm

I had the good fortune of living near Burlington, Vermont for a time and we used to travel up to Montreal at the weekend. Rue Ste Catherine was my very first 'red light' club experience in the mid-'70s. Also, in '83 I was assisting in the making of a short film at the Old Man and His World/Expo '67 grounds. On the 8th of March, Int'l Womens' Day, I found myself dancing to Foreigner's 'Urgent' with a load of French-Canadians shouting out loud 'urgence' in a club at the bottom of the cathedral/church facade. The one with the fake timber front doors which has been converted into a subterranean mall. The house was a-rockin'! Same sex, no sex, all sex, I-dunno-what-sex. I reckon some Jig-A-Loo was used in that crowd that night.

17Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Small world TWB!
When living in Montreal, I was going to Burlington to party. The booze is always cheaper on the other side of the border!

18Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Ah, but you couldn't get Molson's Brador in VT!

19Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 am

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
Just to tie this thread off.

1. The reason for the gas tank being so hard to remove was that the rubber grommets around the rear tank lugs had gotten scrunched in the holes. I cut those off, banged the tank towards the front and it came up fairly easily. The clips must have been removed before I bought the bike, so they weren't causing the problem.

2. The reason for the tank leak was the O-ring gasket that seals the plate that allows the gas level sending unit to be mounted to the bottom of the tank. Fortunately, the tank seems to be rust free.

3. Of course, the sending unit had to be removed in order to install a new O-ring gasket. The big problem there is removing the wires from the fuel pump ... two tiny nuts that have to be removed using a contorted hand inside the gas tank. (Fortunately, one of those nuts us 8mm and the other 7mm, so you'd really have to work hard to mismatch on reassembly.) I got those removed, replaced the O-ring, cleaned some dirt from the tank and then prayed long and hard before trying to replace the nuts that hold down those wires. I got it done and all works well.

4. Removing those nuts to release the wires would have been easier if I could have removed the fuel pump from its housing and just moved it back a bit. However, the hose clamp screw on the hose on top of the fuel pump had been installed previously so that it faces the front of the tank. I found that screw and hose clamp to be impossible to remove. While my hands are not all that big, I just did not have the wrist and finger flexibility to remove that clamp. If I ever have to service the fuel pump, I'll remove the hose from the fuel filter and try to jimmy it backwards.

In summary, thanks for everyone's help when I was trying to remove the tank. With the O-ring replaced, the bike is not leaking so far and I hope it stays like that for ever.

20Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:31 pm

club_c

Life time member
Life time member
Ken, you should be able to pull the pump out of its mount without disconnecting any lines or wires. Once out of the mount you should be able to actually wiggle it right out of the tank with everything still attached. (For next time!)

21Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:57 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
Even with the hoses connected? While I could lift mine out of its seat just fine, it seemed that the fuel hose needed to disconnected in order to get it out of the tank & it didn't seem like the wires would be long enough, but I'll try that approach next time.

22Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 pm

club_c

Life time member
Life time member
Ken, all I can say is that on the two 85's I've built, both had long enough hoses, and the wires were long enough too. Maybe 91 is different?

23Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
OK, thanks. I guess I was being overly cautious. While I don't hope to repeat this again soon, I now have good information to guide me through the process.

24Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:37 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
good result ken ....cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

25Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

CaperKen

Silver member
Silver member
I just read back and spotted Bert's reference to Jig-a-Loo. I used Jig-a-Loo on the front tabs of the tank and on the new rubber grommets for the rear lugs. Everything flowed together like butter.

26Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal on Sun May 18, 2014 5:05 pm

GeorgiaK

Silver member
Silver member
Anyone have access to a chart that tells me what each line is?

I'm removing my tank for the first time. So far I've gotten the tank loose and I've removed the two hoses closest to the clutch. A small amount of fuel dripped out of both. I haven't removed the line on the right side yet but I also don't have anything else to catch fuel at moment. Also I'm not sure how to remove the electrical bit towards the back. My guess is that has something to do with the spedo but I'm really pretty green with all this.

While my tank is off, I wouldn't mind replacing the tank hoses as they are showing some age and cracking. Does standard hosing from an auto parts store work? Where do you source new hoses?

Installing the Eastern Beaver lighting relay and a new headlight this week. Future is looking bright! ….As long as I don't muck things up

27Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal on Sun May 18, 2014 5:43 pm

GeorgiaK

Silver member
Silver member
Whoa. Got the third hose off and disconnected the electrical bit from further down the line. The third hose I think goes to the air box?? Anyway, it looked really gunky. This isn't normal is it?

Also, there is a little spot where it seems there was something broke off, but I see no evidence of another hose anywhere on the bike. What am I missing here. It's on the right hand side, under the tank.

I should mention my bike has been running very poorly. The thought was maybe the intake manifold and boots might have been to blame, but maybe there's something here.

28Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Sun May 18, 2014 8:53 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
The second picture shows 2 stubs, neither should have a hose connected but they empty into a small rectangular container which is attached to the frame and that drains to behind and below the right pillion foot peg.
The other picture I cant quite make out where it is but that one way valve should not be there on a 1990 model regardless of where.
The hose can be bought through an auto store and make sure it is fuel injection hose for external use. You don't need the more expensive internal type unless you are replacing the hose inside the tank.
The electrical connector for the pump and level sender is a 4 pin connector that will be behind the right side cover and is black, the blue connector is for ABS.

29Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Sun May 18, 2014 9:31 pm

GeorgiaK

Silver member
Silver member
Hmmm, interesting. I don't have that rectangular box on my bike. I see it on CF's diagram, but not my bike.

One of the stems definitely had a sizable amount of gas leak out when I removed the mystery hose that was attached to it. 

30Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Sun May 18, 2014 10:09 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
You could use 2 tubes to the same effect, they are an easy item to get and it saves a lot of messing about to get the tank off as the rubber almost welds onto the tubes.
The way the one way valve is mounted will let fuel out but not air into the tank to vent, could be why the poor running although that doesn't effect the fuel injected engines near as badly as the gravity fed carbs.

31Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Sun May 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Dale S

Silver member
Silver member
Hi, I have a 90 K LT and have just recently replaced my fuel hoses.
I also had the plastic check valve that had been dangling from a hose under the tank, I believe its part of a vent system that is not really necessary . If you look on top of the engine under the radiator up front right behind the timing cover in the center, you will probably find a small tube sticking straight up about an inch long. I think it was once connected
to the check valve. I threw the CV away! and ran a hose down under the bike with the overflow hose.  The tube up front needs to be blanked off with a rubber cap to keep excess air from entering the engine.
I didn't have the cup either.

Dale.

32Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Sun May 18, 2014 11:36 pm

GeorgiaK

Silver member
Silver member
Thank you Rick and Dale! Very helpful.

Dale, did you order replacement hoses online?

33Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Being in Oz we don't see those things and have a blanking plug in the hole.

34Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Sun May 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Dale S

Silver member
Silver member
Hey GeorgiaK!
 No, I have found that fuel Inj hose from a good auto parts place is reasonably priced and works just fine. The preformed one from the fuel pressure regulator can be replaced with a straight hose if you are carful not to kink it. I did buy new clamps also from BMW dealer here in Tulsa.
Also if you are so inclined add a little air conditioner insulation tubing around the new lines, Helps a lot in keeping tank cool during hot summer rides!

Dale

35Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon May 19, 2014 12:17 am

GeorgiaK

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Dale!

36Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon May 19, 2014 8:31 am

ReneZ

Life time member
Life time member
Is this an ex-californian bike? IIRC they have 'emission control' where the breather tube from the tank is led to the crankcase.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029)
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223)

37Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon May 19, 2014 8:58 am

Dale S

Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:Is this an ex-californian bike? IIRC they have 'emission control' where the breather tube from the tank is led to the crankcase.

It very well could be. The PPO lived in Arizona, not too far from Calif.
from there it went to Tennessee ,where I found it .I believe it was ex-police.

38Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Mon May 19, 2014 1:07 pm

GeorgiaK

Silver member
Silver member
Got mine in Alabama but it's history before that is foggy. Would be interesting to see the small differences between Ks delivered to different regions.

39Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 pm

1990k75

Silver member
Silver member
After reading this thread I searched for those clips - gone... thanks BMW service  Shocked 

Anyone have details of the length of all fuel hoses? Inside the tank & out - just because I don't want to buy 10x what I need.

OK I'm cheap, but govmt pension doesn't leave a lot of spare change, y'know?

Yes I could pull it all apart & measure them, but anal me wants to have the parts on hand before I dive in there  Laughing 

All help appreciated

40Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:57 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Get 2 metres that way you can put a loop in the 2 lines to the tanl so you can lift it a bit more. that way it gives room to fill the coolant system and get at the electrical relay box and at the wiring under the tank.
Make sure you get the correct line that is suitable for immersion in fuel and for fuel injection.

41Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
The cheapskate length is 1 metre but with your RT, its convenient if you have longer hoses as Rick pointed out, so you don't have to remove lower fairing just to get the tank off.
Make sure you get high pressure rated 5/16" (8mm) hose.

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

42Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 pm

1990k75

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Rick & Kaptain

I'm not cheap, I'm poor! Laughing 

After looking at the NAPA site, here's a heads-up - haven't seen this mentioned on the forum. NAPA clearly states the submersible hose is NOT to be used for external lines - weather UV etc.

Hope this prevents someone making a mistake.

Cheers all  cheers

43Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:48 pm

1990k75

Silver member
Silver member
Dale S wrote:Hey GeorgiaK!
 No, I have found that fuel Inj hose from a good auto parts place is reasonably priced and works just fine. The preformed one from the fuel pressure regulator can be replaced with a straight hose if you are carful not to kink it. I did buy new clamps also from BMW dealer here in Tulsa.
Also if you are so inclined add a little air conditioner insulation tubing around the new lines, Helps a lot in keeping tank cool during hot summer rides!

Dale
Hi Dale

How difficult is it to avoid kinking when replacing that preformed one? My old arthritic hands & fingers are, well, old &... Laughing

Lorne

44Back to top Go down    Re: Tank removal -- Where are those clips? on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:19 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
By leaving extra to allow for lifting the tank it is very easy to avoid a kink.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum