BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty coolant flushing Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Morning all,

I had a look last night for where to drain the coolant the Haynes book says there is a plug on the Water/Oil pump, I had a look but cant see one, I am pretty certain i am looking in the right place. The water/oil pump is located at the front bottom of the engine block?

2Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:09 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
If I recall correctly the drain plug is under the LH side of the water pump. Round head with a hex for an allen key in the middle. There will be a temp sensor next to it and another larger hole in the casting with nothing in it. And yes, right on the front of the engine behind the front wheel.

3Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:44 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Seeing the bike you have I think it was fitted out with a coolingwater temp gauge. The sensor for the gauge was fitted in the drain plug opening and is the forward one on the pump (the aft one is the oil pressure switch).

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland coolant flushing Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

4Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:21 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
ReneZ thanks that makes sense, I have got the LT and where I was expecting the Drain plug to be there is a sensor of sorts, I will have a look shortly to see if it just unwinds and shows me the blue stuff......

coolant flushing 169042coolant flushing 169034

5Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 pm

BarryM

BarryM
I had the same problem this morning when I went to drain the coolant on my K1100LT, so I need to pop this boot off, remove the sensor and unscrew the drain bolt circled?

coolant flushing Img_0913

6Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Just unscrew the jubilee clip and pull the hose on the right side off the pump.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland coolant flushing Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

7Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 am

BarryM

BarryM
Why would I undo a jubilee clip and pull off a hose if the drain plug is that easy to get to?

Unless you're saying that bolt isn't the drain plug....

8Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:31 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
For what it's worth...I agree with Renee.

Undo the hose clamp. It's there staring you in the face. Takes mere seconds.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

9Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:59 am

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
BarryM wrote:I had the same problem this morning when I went to drain the coolant on my K1100LT, so I need to pop this boot off, remove the sensor and unscrew the drain bolt circled?

Im not sure your allowed to post dirty pictures.
I could be wrong.

10Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:43 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
That is the temperature sensor/drain bolt but I'm with everyone else here: undo the worm drive and pull the hose off the side of the water pump. Drain time is a few seconds as opposed to many minutes if you pull the temp. sensor. I can give you two other reasons for going this route:

1. There should be a sealing washer under the temp.sensor. Do you have a new one?
2. The spigot that the hose pushes on to can corrode. Pulling the hose will let you clean the spigot and check how bad it is (if there's any damage at all).

OTOH you can always do both! Smile

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

11Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:00 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would be inclined to remove the hose to drain the system because the thread on the plug/sender is a fine thread and as such can be very easy to damage when tightening the plug. I would not be the one trying to fix the thread because I don't think helicoils are available in that fine thread size so you would need to go up one size and have no temp gauge or get a new/good pump housing.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

12Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:07 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Dai wrote:
1. There should be a sealing washer under the temp.sensor. Do you have a new one?
A sealing washer isn't used together with the sensor, the sensor have tapered threads.

13Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:32 am

BarryM

BarryM
Well it looks like I'm outnumbered so will take the forum advice, after all that's one of the reasons why I posted  Smile

The spigot does indeed have a lot of crud around it and under where the hose attaches but it's not been leaking, fingers crossed there are no leaks after I clean it up and tighten the old hose.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

14Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Mossy1200 wrote:
BarryM wrote:I had the same problem this morning when I went to drain the coolant on my K1100LT, so I need to pop this boot off, remove the sensor and unscrew the drain bolt circled?

Im not sure your allowed to post dirty pictures.
I could be wrong.

ha !!!!  coolant flushing 44271

a good k is one that is ridden a lot  .... but we appreciate them all

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

15Back to top Go down   coolant flushing Empty Re: coolant flushing Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:18 pm

BarryM

BarryM
I'm afraid my K has been rather unloved for too many years but has performed a sterling job, I'm now trying to redress the balance by giving it the tlc it deserves  Embarassed

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum