BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty clunky clutch? Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
My k100rs does something that I think I should worry about...
When I realease the clutch a bit too quickly (which happens because the friction point on my other bike is at a different place), I get treated to a loud clunk as it engages.
It seems to be coming from the rear, but I can't be sure if it's in the transmission or the final drive.
It's always done it for as long as I had the bike (2 years), but I don't ride it that much so I never worried.
Now I'm starting to ride it more, and also starting to worry abotu what it could be.
Any ideas?
(also, the clutch engages very far out at the lever and my friction zone is paper thin; I adjusted the clutch as per the manual).

2Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sounds to me like maybe a spline or uni joint is on the way out, Not sure if you have done a spline lube recently but an inspection would be a good starting point.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
SittingDuck wrote:(also, the clutch engages very far out at the lever and my friction zone is paper thin; I adjusted the clutch as per the manual).
And maybe time to check the clutch for wear, and take a spline lube on this end of the gearbox as well.

Inge K.

4Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Can you get a mate to sit on the bike and replicate the sound/noise? That way, you can stand beside the bike to get a better idea where the sound is coming from. It's a start.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Use a screwdriver between your ear and gearbox/swingarm/final drive.

Inge K.

6Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
id go with the inspection of the drive shaft as well ....but there are a few possibilities else where .

would be good to narrow it down to exactly where the noise is comming from ...got my fingers crossed for ya .

7Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:29 am

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
I think I'll put it on the centrestand and listen for it with my stethoscope.
I'll post an update (probably on Sunday)

8Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:30 pm

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
I put my mechanic's stethoscope to the bike while reproducing the noise on the centrestand (this gizmo is a very good tool to have in your box btw).
clunky clutch? 8006622
The noise is very easy to reproduce: just let off the clutch fast.

It is loudest exactly in the middle of the swingarm. Is that where the u-joint is?
You think mine's toast?
How will it fail? Will it lock up my rear wheel?

9Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 pm

The universal joint is at the front end of the driveshaft near the back of the gear box and allows for, of course, movement at the swingarm pivot. Here's what yours looks like.

clunky clutch? Thumbn10

10Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:52 pm

SittingDuck

SittingDuck
Of course it would be at the swingarm pivot; how silly of me...
Hmm; my noise is about halfway dow the length though; any chance that my u-joint is so loose (and whatever bearings that support the shaft (if any) are so worn that I hear it slap the side of the swingarm?

11Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
SittingDuck wrote:It is loudest exactly in the middle of the swingarm. Is that where the u-joint is?

Will it lock up my rear wheel?

The joint is close to the gearbox, but it strange how sound travel in hollow parts.

A friend of mine did have a broken joint some years ago, it did not lock the wheel.
Lucky for him it happened only 5 km from my place, and he did say that it was 5
slow km`s with a sound like draggin` the centerstand along the street.
(the inside of the swingarm did not look nice).

Inge K.

12Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:05 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
u joints invariably fail in the bearings ....they just dry out ....and as most are sealed in the assembly process there doesnt seem a way to re-pack them ...unless you have the foresight and tools to do it .

the needle bearings usually get to an overheat mode and the hardened casing outer of them peels from the metal, followed by soft steel becoming the bearing surface ...now i dont have to tell you that once that starts to happen the whole thing becomes a mush of crushed metal ,,,,fortunatly the whole thing is an interference fit so worst case you will hear realy loud clunking on each revolution and as the uj goes through an angle change .

but ....could you be hearing a sloppy spline to pinion fit happening or a worn out put bearing on the bevel box , the noise might just be more resonant at the cente of the swing arm . and you wouldnt neccesarrily hear it till you put a load on the whole deal .

the drive shaft proper has a rubber assembly that takes the rear half of the spline interface down its centre and an outer tube that suports it all the ujoint is then fitted to the outer jacket via a flange assembly .

one of the things i have noticed about the k drive shaft is that there is a circlip thingy that positions the drive shaft on the gearbox output shaft splines ....if the last service and lube didnt bash the drive shaft onto output shaft properly the clip may not have got to the retension releif and hold it in the correct position .angle for the whole thing to work secondly if it doesnt get punched up properly the drive shaft will bind , be hitting on the pinion nut as there is only a few millimeters of gap between the two

in fact when i replaced my shaft to a different bevel box ...i couldnt actually do the whole assembly up on the swingarm as the interferance was holding it out about 2 mm .......i ground about 5mm of shaft away ...and its been great for that last 4000ks

in any case its worth a pull apart and inspection ...

there are heaps of threads in here about spline lubing so use that as the dissassembly instructions .

but im thinking also might be worth a swingarm disassembly to see what the output shaft and bearings are doing if you dont find an imediate answer from the rear end .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Sometimes the doctor can simply perform a 'back passage exam' and easily find the problem with a bit of feeling around, but other times it's required to go a bit deeper and get a close up look at the pieces and parts to see if they're functioning as they should, and to correctly diagnose what is causing the noise. This is known as a Kolonoscopy.

14Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:14 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
clunky clutch? 44271 yeah left myself wide open for that quick quip ....giggles

15Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If the conclusion ends up with that it`s the joint that is the problem.
Did read somewhere the last few days about a guy that got the bearings
(and X) changed at a driveshaft shop.

Inge K.

16Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
shouldnt be too hard inge .....just a good press and lots of adaptors to fit the relativly small size caps .???

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
And some grinding tools (or similar) I`ll guess, since it ain`t got any circlips.
Another history is to get the correct part.

Inge K.

18Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:55 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye !!

19Back to top Go down   clunky clutch? Empty Re: clunky clutch? Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Having investigated one not long ago getting it apart is very easy but putting it back together so that it aligns correctly is a very precice job and would need a high quality jig.

I believe that Munich Motorcycles in Perth Oz do a reco shaft so I would presume that others also do it. Would be a matter of finding them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum