BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    cooling liquid temperature sensor on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 am

pajonk


Silver member
Silver member
hey guys,

I did some research on the temp sensors and found out that my k100lt '89 has a sensor with a different part number than the sensor placed in k1100lt up till '93 even though they look the same.

the real oem tells me that my part number is 61311459197 for $82 whereas the k1100 has 13622242184 for $37.

the second one can be easily substituted with a car sensor for $10 as the same sensor was placed in multiple cars such as lancia, alfa romeo etc.

is there any difference between those two?

cheers!
Pajonk

    

2Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 am

pajonk


Silver member
Silver member
ok, found a FAE one for my bike for $12! over 3 times cheaper than on motobins. the original BOSCH one costs $30. if anyone needs one, i can get you one here in poland! Wink

cheers and sorry for the post

    

3Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Inge K.

avatar
VIP
VIP
pajonk wrote:is there any difference between those two?
The one for K100 (Jetronic, analog) is a dual element (1. ECU, 2. fan management), other end of elements connected to ground via coolant stub. Measuring temp. by the difference in resistance to ground.

The one used on K1100 (Motronic, digital) is a single element and not connected to ground.
Both ends of element connected to motronic, measuring the temp. by drop in voltage.

Inge K.

    

4Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 am

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
certainly would not be helpfull paj......


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:37 am

pajonk


Silver member
Silver member
thanks Inge! and yeah Charlie, seems like it would be a bad idea to use the k1100 one;)

but as i said, i found the k100 sensor for $12 so i am satisfied.

cheers!

    

6Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 am

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
cool what a win paj....good work buddie !!!


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

7Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:11 am

AL-58

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Inge, any idea on the differences between the early and late K1100 sensors. The early is the solid one with the green plug and the late one has a short lead with the connector on the end.

What would happen for instance if I were to fit the earlier version to a later engine and Motronic 2.2? I've done this and the bike is using much more fuel than previously although its idling better than it ever has.

Al


__________________________________________________
'87 K100RS/HRD sidecar (1100 motor)sc25
'92 K100RS-16v (Paint it Black)

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

    

8Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:41 am

Inge K.

avatar
VIP
VIP
No, I've never compared them side by side.
But from your experience it seems like the later one have a bit higher resistance.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

9Back to top Go down    Coolant temperature sensor on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:55 am

Kafflut

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:
pajonk wrote:is there any difference between those two?
The one for K100 (Jetronic, analog) is a dual element (1. ECU, 2. fan management), other end of elements connected to ground via coolant stub. Measuring temp. by the difference in resistance to ground.

The one used on K1100 (Motronic, digital) is a single element and not connected to ground.
Both ends of element connected to motronic, measuring the temp. by drop in voltage.

Inge K.
Hello Inge, pajonk

I measured resistance between my #10 pin (K100 Jetronic) & ground. It is strange, I measure 1.8K momentarily and then the meter shows open circuit. If I lift the prong of my meter, break contact, and then return to contact #10 it again shows 1.8K, but again only momentarily.

It puzzled me. I have another K100. So I repeated the test on that one. The same result, 1.7K momentarily and then open circuit.

I thought, maybe my meter is faulty. So I checked the resistance of the air temperature sensor - resistance between pin #8 & #9 and it's a steady reading.

I unplugged the fuel tank electrics to make sure #9 is not connected to ground via that connection.

Does anyone have an explanation?

http://bmwk100k75.weebly.com/
    

10Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:35 am

AL-58

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
AL-58 wrote:Inge, any idea on the differences between the early and late K1100 sensors. The early is the solid one with the green plug and the late one has a short lead with the connector on the end.

What would happen for instance if I were to fit the earlier version to a later engine and Motronic 2.2? I've done this and the bike is using much more fuel than previously although its idling better than it ever has.

Al

I should have got back with the result to my problem here.

I changed the water riser(the sensor thread is different) and sensor back to the later version the motor originally came with. The fuel economy is now back to what it was previously (between 14-16km/l). I never measured the sensors to identify the difference but it's all good now.

Al


__________________________________________________
'87 K100RS/HRD sidecar (1100 motor)sc25
'92 K100RS-16v (Paint it Black)

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

    

11Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:25 am

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
would be interesting to find out the difference al
I have a feeling that the sensor that fixed the issue will have a different lower "hot" temperature reading


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

12Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Holister

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Kafflut wrote:
I measured resistance between my #10 pin (K100 Jetronic) & ground. It is strange, I measure 1.8K momentarily and then the meter shows open circuit. If I lift the prong of my meter, break contact, and then return to contact #10 it again shows 1.8K, but again only momentarily.

It puzzled me. I have another K100. So I repeated the test on that one. The same result, 1.7K momentarily and then open circuit.

I thought, maybe my meter is faulty. So I checked the resistance of the air temperature sensor - resistance between pin #8 & #9 and it's a steady reading.

I unplugged the fuel tank electrics to make sure #9 is not connected to ground via that connection.

Does anyone have an explanation?
That would normally indicate corrosion between the sensor thread and engine block, but if the other K100 is doing the same it might indicate something else entirely.... OR.... they both have a corrosion problen????


__________________________________________________
1988 K100RT VIN No. 0094680
1989 K100RT VIN No. 0097367 (naked)
1996 K1100RS VIN No. 0451808
Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90
    

13Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:39 pm

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
I would be removing the sensor, cleaning it and then check the measurement again. It is also possible the copper washer is badly oxidized and acting like a diode. Charlie had one some years ago that was acting very strangely until cleaned up.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

14Back to top Go down    Further along the road .... on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:34 am

Kafflut

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
It becomes even more confusing. I felt pretty certain that as Rick G and Holister suggested, there is bad contact between the sensor and frame. I removed the sensor from the bike that had no coolant, the "other" one - easiest to do.

The surfaces of the washer were bright shiny Al. Nevertheless I cleaned it thoroughly and sprayed CRC. I measured resistance between contact point 1 & the brass body of the sensor - 1.8K momentarily. I measured the resistance between contact 2 and the brass body of the sensor - 1.8K momentarily.

There's more.

I went back to working on the first bike, the one with coolant. I started it and ran the engine for a minute or two.

I thought, let me check the coolant sensor resistance now. Would you believe 1.1K steady reading!

http://bmwk100k75.weebly.com/
    

15Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:46 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
What battery is in the meter you are using, it may be that a higher voltage is needed to get a correct reading at low temperatures.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

16Back to top Go down    Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:37 am

Kafflut

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Meter has a 9v battery. I tested the battery - it was okay. I'll replace and post what happens.

http://bmwk100k75.weebly.com/
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum