BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Load shed relay? Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member

Hi ,Gordon here,
My mate with a k100rt had a flat battery and now has no headlights ,parking lights and flash but no headlights. Where do I start ? swichgear ? LSR ?
Cheers Gordon

2Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Re: Load shed relay? Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:06 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm gordo could be a couple of things ...the load shed relay gets its negative feed from the starter motor ....weird huh ?...but when the starter is not actually running the brushes should make a ground connection for the load shed ....

but one of the problems or more precisely consequences of trying to start with a low battery is that the starter motor relay sticks in the engaged position .......thus eliminating that ground path ,,,,,starter always running as well .

its a common thing that the brushes can become high resitance in the starter motor ..and the lsr doesnt work properly ,,

the brush kit isnt too expensive ...

but you could check the earth path of the lsr with a multi meter first.

there is a few diagrams in the efi trouble shooting thread on the portal page links.

under tank wiring from the switch gear at handle bars would be worth checking as well , sticky switches on the headlight (rh side and high low beamswitch lh side) have issues as well

hope this helps

3Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Re: Load shed relay? Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:06 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
There is not much to go on, tell us more he had a flat battery, did he charge it up, did it hold a charge, can he start and run the bike, does the alternator light and other warning lights function, does it ride OK?
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Re: Load shed relay? Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks to you both. Sorry for the brevity , guess i hoped there was a known link.
He has got it running but not sure if its holding charge etc. I will get more info today and report soon , cheers Gordon

5Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Re: Load shed relay? Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This is connected via LSR: headlight, Headlight flash, park, rear, instrument illumination,
horn, fan and direction indicators.

If all other function as normal, try to ground the starter input, if it then functions it`s as
charlie allready have mentioned time for a starter cleaning and eventually changing brushes.
If no difference check power input to relay coil (terminal 86, green wire), if that also is Ok
it`s time to change the relay.

Inge K.

6Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Re: Load shed relay? Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:21 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Inge , info update , its a K1100LT abs etc not a K100rt. Starts and runs ok since the flat battery . alt light and other functions all ok . No chance today to carry out suggested tests , hopefully will soon .
Cheers Gordon

7Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Re: Load shed relay? Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:29 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Gordon, are you going to Ross tomorrow (Sunday) ? Dennis Brown

8Back to top Go down   Load shed relay? Empty Re: Load shed relay? Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:37 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dennis , i'm just back from the north island (Araluen etc) and thought it was past . So .... yeah maybe but only got my son's ZX9at the mo. How's the forecast ?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum