BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Alternator oil seal Empty Alternator oil seal Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:17 am

voggsson

Ok, the alternator oil seal is leaking. How do I replace it? Remove alternator, remove flange, replace seal, done?

2Back to top Go down   Alternator oil seal Empty Re: Alternator oil seal Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:01 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, you are essentially correct. It's obviously easier to remove the seal from the bell housing if the bell housing is first removed from the engine block. The seal pulls out from the front and installs from the same direction. There is a circlip against which the new seal will bottom out. The trick will be getting enough leverage to remove the old seal (the alternator drive shaft will be in the way as well as the bell housing casting walls) and finding a large, deep socket to use as a driver for the new seal (again because of the drive shaft). Remember to check the resulting lay of the seal material around the shaft to make sure it is pointing inwards towards the bell housing.

3Back to top Go down   Alternator oil seal Empty Re: Alternator oil seal Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:45 pm

voggsson

Ok, I haven't gotten around to fix this. How do I remove the flange of the shaft? Things are so tight that I can't fit my puller to remove the flange.
And another thing, Is the oil seal the kind that has to be soaked in oil befor installing, it seems to look that way on the picture on the websit. (I'm buying all my parts from http://www.motobins.co.uk/ )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum