BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   clutch cable Empty clutch cable Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:43 pm

joem

joem
Silver member
Silver member
hi all i know this should be an easy job for some but im not that good but i do try, can anyone help or give me an idea of the way to replace the clutch cable on a k75s, thanks for any info. regards joe.

2Back to top Go down   clutch cable Empty Re: clutch cable Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The best way for me is to remove the instrument panel and tank then you have an easy go at it.
Some say to tape the new to the old and drag the new one through but I always seem to get it caught up in a mess of wiring under the tank and end up taking the tank off anyway.
Just removing one of the screws that hold the instruments and loosen the other can do the job there.
To adjust it back off the handlebar adjustment so it is only 2 turns out and then adjust the slack at the clutch actuating arm so you have 3mm at the handlebar adjuster and all should be good.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   clutch cable Empty Re: clutch cable Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:31 am

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
I just did that yesterday and it was a bit hairy for a while. I taped my new one to the old from the bottom end. Used a bunch of electrical tape wrapped a good ways up the old one and down the new one, over it's self a couple of times to make sure it wouldn't come loose. I recommend doing that because the cable disapears over the engine and under the frame and I can't imagine finding the same route on your own.

K Freak says to take the instrument panel off but I decided to loosen the "dashboard" under the panel instead because it looked easier to remove, just two screws. I also had the tank off. If I had taken the fairing off too that would have really helped but that would have taken way to many screws and bolts, IMO.

It still did hang up under the frame and even with some pretty hefty yanking it wouldn't come through on its own. I was able to just feel with the tip of my fingers where it was hung up on some supporting bar which I couldn't see to identify. But I was able to back it up and push it over enough from below while pulling from the front to get it to slide through. A helper with a third hand would have helped greatly.

But, it's now done and I'm glad to have that 20 year old cable finally replaced. It was a bit of a hassle to do in my garage but it would have been that much worse on the side of a road somewhere.

http://www.fossilapostles.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum