BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
After a very brief search on this subject turned up no posts can i conclude that this excellent feature of the K is its most reliable ?
Mine work perfectly much to the chagrin of my mate with a new bike who often fails to cancel his .
So my question is...... do any of you brainiac electronics boffins know a circuit which could be retro fitted to cancel?
I'm thinking just time based to avoid the complication of the distance / speed factor ,?
cheers Gordon

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
who what .. they self what ??

http://www.airware.com.au

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ghost
you must tell me more, I have an automatic thumb but that's about it.
Does yours self cancel?. Nice to hear from you as well mate.
RT

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
If the cancel button is the type that you give one push to activate, you could use a time delay relay (They are not cheap), or build a small timer that would give a pulse to the cancel button after a one min. or so.

You can buy something like this

The principle of a self cancelling system is the same as the timer on an alarm system...
You can arm the system and have an exit delay, but at any time during the exit delay you can cancel the arming and re-enter the house.
When you cancel the flasher, they should be ready to be activated at any time after. The cancellation has to be done with only a momentary pulse signal.

CF

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Bert , happy that someone knew what i was talking about ! Even checked the handbook to make sure i was nt dreaming !
Quote page 14 K75C handbook (1986)
" Self -Cancelling turn indicators
The left or right flashing turn indicators are cancelled automatically after a certain time or distance if this is not done by pressing switch "5".
. after approx. 10seconds at main -road speeds - above about 50 km/h (31 mile/h) , or
. after approx. 210m (690 ft ) in local or slow -moving traffic .

Surely Im not the only one to have this !

Thanks Bert , what are the chances that this would plug into a Suzuki Bandit ? At that price probably worth a try maybe ???

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
SDC Self-Cancelling Turn Signal Module

Smartlink self-cancelling turn signal module

Both are for retrofit and both do not work with on motorcycles with single turn signal switch. HTH.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I have found the self cancel to be a very useful feature especially as it is time and or distance operated.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Robmac but the Suzuki Bandit is the usual single switch type so no good there pretty expensive too.
I understand what you wrote Bert but have not the knowledge to make that happen .

Any comments on my first question " is this the most reliable feature of the K? "

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It is a very reliable feature but you can add me to the top of the list of who you know that has had a failure. Mine stopped cancelling on the way home from the Kurauh rally yesterday. I haven't found why yet as this is my rest day.

Last edited by K Freak on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 am; edited 2 times in total

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmmm i dont think its the most reliable ...but sure is great thing to have ghost ...

kfreak has issues with his ,,as we speak ...iexpect it not getting the right signals ....although we have just come out of one of the most humid places i have ever been ...(barrington tops ) near dungog ...

maybe some moisture has worked its way into the under seat-tank bits

ithink i have heard mention of folks having to replace this module on the k before .

i think a simple timer circuit would be quite simple to build ...maybe a 555 timer type thingy ...with a relay to um remotly opererate the turn signals ...my simple theory is to have 2 (as they wouldnt be large at all , in fact i have built simle timers on an ic socket (14 pin ) before and they didnt take up much room at all maybe 20 mm x 10 mm x 10 mm

you could make the input and output connections to them and pot them in epoxy to keep the nasties out .

the feature of the distance travelled is verry unique though ...but i wouldnt be making this an option for the simple type timer i have thought of above , maybe 10 seconds would be ok ?

just some ramblings from a tired old k rider ....hope it helps

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
OH DEAR ! Hope i didn't put the "mockers " on you Kf ! Yes i admit i was jealous as anything missing the ride but honest i didn't stick any pins into dolls or chant over evil brews (other than Jimmy's finest ) pure coincidence i mentioned the subject , thats my story anyway !
Cheers G

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ghost who rides wrote: OH DEAR ! Hope i didn't put the "mockers " on you Kf ! Yes i admit i was jealous as anything missing the ride but honest i didn't stick any pins into dolls or chant over evil brews (other than Jimmy's finest ) pure coincidence i mentioned the subject , thats my story anyway !
Cheers G
Don't think so but I was into some of his finest as well so maybe the vibes went a long way. Well I know that round out camp smoke there was a lot hmmm nuf said, You will have to come next year to enjoy the place.
Don't know what is wrong yet as I have only cleaned it so far.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Ghost who rides wrote:Thanks Robmac but the Suzuki Bandit is the usual single switch type so no good there pretty expensive too."
If you read the customer reviews, there was one guy who replaced the SPDT-centre off switch on his Lotus Seven with a SPDT-momentary switch. This could work on the Bandit if the OEM turn signal switch could be modified to be momentary function by removing detents or something (this is speculation on my part). Or maybe replace the OEM turn signal switch with two momentary push buttons, one on each handle like the BMW.

As for expense, it's probably true that the prices seem high. It may be possible to source the parts and build your own circuit for half as much but you've got to have a design first. That's where these products beat DIY; they already have the design and the manufacturing process. Any circuit you build should meet IEC IP54 moisture/dust protection specs minimum to have any longevity.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
K Freak wrote:It is a very reliable feature but you can add me to the top of the list of who you know that has had a failure. Mine stopped cancelling on the way home from the Kurauh rally yesterday. I haven't found why yet as this is my rest day.

I found the culprit it was a bent pivot pin for the cancel switch which was new and fitted about 2 weeks ago.
The
pin was bent so that eachtime the switch was pressed the pin would
pivot slightly and after a while the switch got into a position so the
contacts were not contacting when pressed. New pin made and all OK.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work kfreak

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Well done Kfreak , i really was feeling guilty posting and not touching wood etc . pleased it was simple .
Thanks Robmac , food for thought and no i hadn't got to the reviews . However a thought and this is from memory 'cos its not my bike , most modern switches are the momentary type , i think , push L or R and returns to centre awaiting the press to cancel, so no detents as such same as on the K's except all on the L hand block and in one unit . perhaps that module would be plug n play ?

17Back to top Go down   self cancel indicators (turn signals) Empty broken thumb lever Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:58 pm

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
anybody know where i can buy a new turn signal thumb lever for the left control. broke mine the other day! ugh! looks like an easy fix if i can find the part. thanks!

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome wingnut!

If it`s only the knob that is broken, it is sold as a single part.
And it should be possible to order it at any BMW retailer.

self cancel indicators (turn signals) Knott10

Part #61 31 9 062 462 (SET: REPAIR KIT FLASHER KNOB) $6.42 at MAX Bmw.

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
That's it! Thanks for the info and the quick reply!

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
TIP: use a good phillips screwdriver when undoing the switch assy,
the small screw is easily rounded.

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
The Kawasaki GT550 also had self cancel indicators... mine on the K didn't work until I had stripped the whole bike apart and back together again shows what a good clean of all the contacts can do

self cancel indicators (turn signals) 169042self cancel indicators (turn signals) 169034

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
So do I understand that there is no manual way to cancel the signals? They are self cancelling and that's it?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
self cancel indicators (turn signals) Knott11

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Inge!
Oh I wish I had a riders manual to read!

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Wow! Thanks!

How about a check for a million dollars? Know where I can get one of those? Very Happy

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Look around in the backyard..................it could be your lucky day.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I can help out with the Lotto numbers.
I have narrowed it down to these 45 numbers so if you pick the six out of them you'll do it. self cancel indicators (turn signals) 652573

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
You guys are hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Motobins have the switch levers here:-

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K Series

Cheers,

Paul.

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Is there a fix if the manual cancel button does not work? Self cancel only works part time.

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Just a note re self cancel , speedo needs to work to give the correct info to the indicators . Is your speedo intermittent?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If the manual cancel doesn`t work, the problem could be in the wiring, or the switch itself.

When pushing the button, this circuit should connect to ground (brown/white wire).

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Guess I should pay more attention to the speedo. Shocked I will check both of those this week. Thanks!

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Dredging up this thread because I came across a circuit that does what the OP wanted -- Self cancels signals even with a single turn signal switch. Wolsten Tech manufacture time delay relays for automotive and motorcycle applications. They manufacture a time delay relay, part number TDR-PMH, that implements a self canceling turn signal retrofit for older motorcycles.

TDR Application 6: Self-Cancelling Turn Signals for Motorcycles

This information would be useful to others who may use the search engine to find an answer to this question.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum