BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

artie86

Hi All, newbie here,greetings from North Yorkshire.Got me an '86 RT ex police I'm told which has been laid up for a while.Anyways got the bike started ok but have a few queries.Please pardon my ignorance,this is my first beemer.

1.ABS light keeps on flashing while the bikes running.

2.the red warning triangle above the neutral light stays on as well.while running

3.got some corrosion under the paint on the tank just in front of the filler what's the best way to tackle that?.

4.Turned the ignition on yesterday and there was no power(clock working ,no blown fuses)is there a problem with ignitions on this model.

Apologies for going on a bit,thanks to anyone who can shed a light on my troubles,regards,Artie. Very Happy

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Hi artie86, and welcome to the forum

The ABS light flashing and the red triangle warning being on at the same time is telling you a) the ABS isnt working b) there is a problem with the ABS...

The lights when everything is working properly should go out once it has completed it's self test, there is a process on here talking through how to identify what the "ABS brain" thinks the problems is and how to reset the fault indications. If all else fails and the "ABS brain" has a fault (failed component) there is a guy in Japan who can repair it. I keep meaning to send mine off!
http://bmwk10075abs1fix.web.fc2.com/ The link to the left if his website.

artie86

Thanks twincarb,that's got the ball rolling,many thanks,Artie

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Not a problem at all, you will find that we are all here to help and pass on our experiances, Pop into the new member section and say hi in there and get to know some of the chaps on here....

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya artie...welcome to the forum

re: the red light above the neutral light

on mine this does not estinguish till both brakes have been activated (front and rear )

at one time i couldnt get it to go out at all .....a faulty switch on the front brake was the reason ...i cleaned up the mechanism with some electronic cleaner (obviously the contacts in the switch had corroded up over the years )

i think by popular vote we have found a product called "deoxit" as a great corrosion cleaner on all those electrical connections throughout the bike ....and come highly recomended as a "must have" for refurbishment of any bike electrics

Last edited by charlie99 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
artie86 wrote:4.Turned the ignition on yesterday and there was no power(clock working ,no blown fuses)is there a problem with ignitions on this model.
Welcome, Artie!

Probably your ignition switch needs to be dismantled and cleaned, but first check its connector...on right side under the tank.

It is some threads about ignition switch issues on this forum.

Here is a "how to" dismantle it.

Inge K.

artie86

Thanks guys,I'm feeling alot better already,you just can't get this kind of info from a manual!,many thanks to everyone, Very Happy

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The ABS light will go out when the bike speed exceeds 4kph and both brakelight switches have activated the brake light so you have to be moving. This may be where the problem is or the computer may need resetting.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

artie86

Hi All,while having a look over the bike I've found that the rear brake arm is solid so must have some corrosion in there,guess the abs light is going to go out if when rolling of that's not going to engage!,thanks for the advice,will keep you posted how things go(very slow at the moment!).Artie cheers cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum