BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Greetings from north yorkshire! Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

artie86

Hi all,greetings from north Yorkshire,I'm back looking under the cover at my k100RiT(or something like that!)it's an ex police bike on an '86 plate and it's been languishing in my back yard for the last 2 or 3 years since I got. You know how things go,there's always something else that needs your time and money!.
Anyways, she was in a bit of a state when I bought her cosmetically.Got 76k on the clock but it could be a hell of a lot more,heard these police bikes have the clocks changed after decomissioning but whether it's true or not I don't know.
She'd had some engine work done on her in the right places and the price was so good!. I remember sitting on this bike at the NEC when they first came out as a spotty teenager and asking the sales guy where the fuel tap was!.
The top fairing had a pretty poor repair on it and having looked the bike that top fairing was only held on with 2 bolts,no wonder most of it was shaking!.
Having checked about on the web turned out the fairing was off a later model and the rest of the body panels were in similar poor state so have been picking up some correct(hopefully)bodywork over the last couple of years.
So,like I said she's been pretty much unloved for while which has lead me to this awesome forum because my beemer is not so happy as she was when I got her!.
Recently bought a MOTOBATT 32amp for her which it says is ideal for bikes that are stored up and hardly used so ideal for my situation!.
Last week I put some fresh fuel in her and she fired right up!,totally amazed at that!,got an ABS issue and tickover is a little lumpy but I know I'll get some great advice on here,already had some useful info from some of the guys on here so it doesn't feel as daunting anymore!. Very Happy

2Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great start artie ....Greetings from north yorkshire! 112350

welcome to the forum !!

you'll have to post up some pics when you can ....always nice to hear that another "k" bike is on the way to recovery ....and back on the road ....great bikes to ride by the way ....enjoy !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Greetings Artie welcome to the forum. Sounds like a fair bit of work ahead of you but with a little TLC the bricks will use another of their lives.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Welcome Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:04 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi artie86,
Great to have you with us.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum. The ex police bikes came with a lot of extra wiring for all the gear. Sometimes the wires were just cut when sold. Letting you know this if electrical problems arise. Plenty of people here have been there, done that and will help out.

6Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Artie, The mileage shouldn't be a problem from what I've heard the police keep their bikes well serviced. I'd be more interested, if I were you, in how the serviceing etc was done after decomissioning. But as the guys say plenty of people on here who travelled down the ex poilce bike route before you so you're sure to find help here. Enjoy.

88KE

7Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:21 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard artie86 - you will find that you have stumbled upon a great resource here and all the help you might need to get the old "K" up to scratch once again Wink

http://www.its-personal.net

8Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:04 pm

artie86

Thanks guys for all your encouragement,makes it all feel a little less daunting!.Just had a look back thru' the history I got with the bike,9 previous owners upto the last owner and he had it for a couple of years with about 66000 on it when he got it.
He's put slick 50 in it at about 70000 and put new cam guides and tensioner on it,new front discs, new battery,new screen as well as the usual routine oil changes etc.He put about 25000 on it with alot of motorway miles so apart from the cosmetics it doesn't look like it's been neglected too much(not till I got it anyway!).
Found an invoice in there for a service that I had done when I got her,nothing major apart from new fork seals and also a fuel filter for 3 quid!,how do you get a fuel filter for 3 quid?,bargain!.Thinking back about it I seem to recall that the guy who looks after my bikes saying that it's was in pretty good shape,he's looked after a few ex police bikes over the years so he wasn't too concerned there was anything major lying in wait for me.Been so long since I looked at her it's like having a new bike all over again!.will have a look into up loading some pics when I get a minute to work out how to do it.cheers All,Artie. cheers

9Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Soundsl like some of the expensive things have been done. Fluid change/service and a full spline lube to be sure and you'll be well underway. Also look at treating all the electrical connexions - deoxit is a popular choice on here for such.
88KE

10Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 pm

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome aboard artie.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

11Back to top Go down   Greetings from north yorkshire! Empty Re: Greetings from north yorkshire! Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 pm

artie86

Thanks guys,by the way,VIN is 0092574,not too far from you Bob! Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum