BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty I'm back folks! Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Ever since I parted with my '89 K100LT last November I've wandering like a lost soul.
I've tried many different bikes, 800 Tiger, 1050 Tiger, Rocket 3, couple of Suzuki's and a couple of modern BMW's. All terrific bikes that are quicker and handle better than my old K, but there was just something missing.
That, and I'm too cheap to spend big bucks!
I placed a local online ad for a K100/75 project and got a call straight away.
Went to see it tonight and its now mine or at least it will be when I borrow my son-in-law's van to pick it up in the next couple of days.
So, what did I buy?
Its an '85 K100RT in Arctic Blue(?), a navy blue seat and it cost me £380 or about $630US.
The story.
It was brought over here (N Ireland) from England a few years ago by a guy who had problems with it falling over. He stopped near a kerb and went to put his foot down, nothing there, bike went down.
When picking it up it went too far the other way and down it went again!
Wrecked both pannier lids and damaged both mirror mounts, both mounts fixable with a bit of glass fibre and filler. Pannier lids are a write off but that's what e bay is for.
Another guy bought it intending to turn it into a side-car outfit but as he had other bikes it has lived under a cover in his son's industrial unit for the last 18 months.
Now the son is getting rid of the unit the bike had to go.
It needs a front mudguard as he used it for another bike but apart from that it is all there. Its very dusty and there are a few small areas of corrosion but nothing a few weeks fiddling, cleaning and maintenance won't sort out.
Now, the important bit, the engine.
What about 30K genuine miles? He had all the test certificates to prove it.
Did it run? Of course it did! Its a K!
He brought the battery, although it could have done with a charge, connected up and although it was a sluggish turnover, it started after 18 months under the cover!
The engine is as sweet as a nut. Sounds even better than my last K.
No smoke on start up either.
When I get it home I'll get some 'before' photos posted.
Plan to have it roadworthy for end of April.
Won't be letting this one go.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

2Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:23 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow !

what a tale and a bargain ....welcome back john !!!

cant wait to see the pics ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome back mate. I often find myself looking at other bikes then realize that they are just other versions of a K.

Its called Kpox and there is no known cure. It's a bit like fishing Pox and not quite as expensive.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:23 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome home Comberjohn - these old K bikes are a bit addictive aren't they Wink

5Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:04 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yes indeed, welcome back Comberjohn.

I'm glad that you have soothed your lost soul.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 am

sgmayhew

sgmayhew
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome back John. I thought that you had gone for good. It will be great to have your input again, and perhaps we shall have that long threatened meet up!

7Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:11 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
As said around here
El buen hijo siempre regresa a casa...
Welcome back
Best regards
JAP

8Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
This is certainly a bright spot in the day. So, you can get the man off the K, but you can't get the K off the man! Nice to know they haven't found a cure for MightyKitis. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get your new girl back on the road where she belongs. Welcome back and happy wrenching!

9Back to top Go down   I'm back folks! Empty Re: I'm back folks! Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome back Comberjohn, the prodigal son returneth! Shall we kill the fatted Kalf Laughing !

Good luck with the new machine. I'll look forward to seeing some posts of your progress. You won't be letting all that acquired K knowledge go to waste!

We nearly have a quorum for am Irish meet up North or South. Hopefully this unseasonally fine weather is a good omen for the summer to come. Good to hear from you.

88KE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum