BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
The fettling of the long dormant 75S is coming along in the usual 'two steps forward, one step back' fashion. When it was last serviced - about 6 years ago - I entrusted the work to a local bike mechanic as my own house was being built. He has a good rep and I only wanted the minor service done. However he broke the spring clip fixture on one of the side panels and 'fixed' it without telling me about it. Photos show the original and the bodged repair:

K75 side panels - how to get a secure fastening? K75S_original-spring-clip

K75 side panels - how to get a secure fastening? K75S_broken-spring-clip

Yesterday when replacing the side panels the blob of epoxy filler (?) around the spring came away from the panel. I tried to fix it with superglue but it didn't work. Any suggestions on a suitable adhesive or better way to repair it will be appreciated.

I found also that on the 'good' side panel the clip has been bent too far upwards to fit securely on the rubber sleeve on the frame. Is it safe to try bending the clip downwards, and if so should I remove the clip from the panel first?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Chris

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Chris, to start with your last questions; you should be able to bend it, but always remove it from the cover. It might break out otherwise. I don't know how long it might stay good for, as already bent before?? These clips are still available, so there shouldn't be an issue getting new ones. What is the problem with the repaired side; what was broken? The clip or the part that holds the clip in the cover? I have done a repair to a side cover with JBWeld and it still holds (roughed up the area of repair before application).

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland K75 side panels - how to get a secure fastening? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:Hi Chris...what was broken? The clip or the part that holds the clip in the cover? I have done a repair to a side cover with JBWeld and it still holds (roughed up the area of repair before application).

Thanks for your reply ReneZ; it's good to know the metal clips are still available. The plastic piece that holds the metal clip in the cover was broken. I think the guy who tried to repair it did a reasonable job of aligning the clip, but the adhesive bond with the plastic of the side panel didn't hold. A quick Google search tells me that there is at least one stockist of JB Weld in SA so I'll look into getting some of that.

Cheers, Chris

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
I also fixed a similar problem encountered when the PO had broken the plastic nib off of the RHS cowl on my K75. I used a similar product- PC 7 --which has now held for three years. Also roughed up the plastic some so that the material could get into nooks and crannies and really hold tight.

Not the side cover issue you have, but similar enough. Keep us posted.

Bob

1995 K75

5Back to top Go down   K75 side panels - how to get a secure fastening? Empty side panel repair Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:38 pm

cruise_carter

cruise_carter
I am just fixing a pair of side covers on my 85 K100RT.
Am using a product by JB Weld called Kwik Plastik.

It is a 2 part epoxy stick, cut off a section, kneed in fingers and apply to surface.
Use in well ventilated area and wear latex gloves.

Hardens up in 3 hours to surface which can be sanded, drilled, etc.

tough as nails and was only solution to replace a lost pin/post on the cover. used it to fasten a bolt onto the cover.
This would work great to mount new clips (available from Motobins in UK)
Tried all kinds of epoxies in past but none worked.

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks fellas for the helpful comments and useful info - another job on the 'to do' list!

Chris

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum