BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:17 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
The oil drain plug is realy stuck. The metal of the plug is so soft that the 8 m hex just moves around in the plug. Now I changed the oil personally last fall, so I know that it was not excessively torqued.

Any ideas or comments? The only way I see now is takig the old plug out with vice grips or channellocks and fit a new plug.

2Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:09 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Use a center punch at the outer edge of the plug.

3Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:19 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Inge,

You are on the spot as usual. One question, though: Is this a common problem and is there a solution?

I would expect galling on stainless to stainless fasteners, but not on what I believe is alu to alu?

4Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i think it has become common practice to whack the head of the bolt with a suitable device before attempting to remove it,,,it seems to break the tight junction between the threads of the bolt and threaded socket sections ...well thats what i tell myself ..but it seems to work for me ,,

else as inge says ...get something in the head of the bolt section that has more torque effect to spin that fastener ...replacing a bolt with a burr on the outer circumference is always better than drilling it out ..

some ...or most of us use anti sieze products when rebuilding

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:30 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Agerbundsen wrote:Thanks Inge,

You are on the spot as usual. One question, though: Is this a common problem and is there a solution?
Sometimes you wonder if they are glued, on the real stubborn ones I`m using a long lever, instead of a ratchet.
What`s important is to use a high quality allen bit and be shure that you got a tight fit, clean out the crud in the hole and be shure that the bit reach all the way to the bottom.

Stuck Oil drain plug Arm10

Agerbundsen wrote:I would expect galling on stainless to stainless fasteners, but not on what I believe is alu to alu?

It might seem like the drain plug is rather soft, but it`s not made of alu.

Last edited by Inge K. on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

6Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:54 am

greecek100rt

greecek100rt
weld an old hexagon wrench and untight it. be careful not to melt the aluminium

7Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
I made a cut deep 1,5 mm through whole diameter with angle grinder. Than put a stronger screwdriver in it and hit with hammer in direction right left. It unscrew easy.

Be careful with grinder.

Regards

8Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there
You can remove the oil pan and take it to a workshop, could be safer.
Best regards
JAP

9Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty oil drain bolt Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:52 am

sven k100

sven k100
As this is my first input to the forum, lets hope it's correct !. the drain plug on my 1987 k100 rt has a square recess, not a hexagon. i only discovered this myself when the allen key would'nt fit and i crawled underneath and viewed it. I fashioned a key from a piece of square bar, ground to fit.

10Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
sven k100 wrote:As this is my first input to the forum, lets hope it's correct !. the drain plug on my 1987 k100 rt has a square recess, not a hexagon. i only discovered this myself when the allen key would'nt fit and i crawled underneath and viewed it. I fashioned a key from a piece of square bar, ground to fit.

A square key may be better, but there is no doubt, the K100RS 1992 has an 8 mm hex.

11Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 pm

greecek100rt

greecek100rt
Stuck Oil drain plug Dscf0211

12Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
sven k100 wrote:the drain plug on my 1987 k100 rt has a square recess, not a hexagon.
Then you got a non genuine drain plug.

13Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I came across one of those square recess plugs here a few years ago and it was 3/8in to take a square drive socket wrench. At the time I thought what a good way to go.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

14Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Stuck Oil drain plug Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:16 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah a good idea I reckon, but the shame, when your bike's on its side after the centrestand has collapsed in the shopping mall carpark, and some wanker on a new RS1200 says, Oh look , a non standard drain plug. I hate the thought.
RT

15Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Stuck Oil drain plug 723598 Stuck Oil drain plug 178468 Stuck Oil drain plug 44271

good one rt ....cheers mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

16Back to top Go down   Stuck Oil drain plug Empty Re: Stuck Oil drain plug Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:07 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
RT wrote:Yeah a good idea I reckon, but the shame, when your bike's on its side after the centrestand has collapsed in the shopping mall carpark, and some wanker on a new RS1200 says, Oh look , a non standard drain plug. I hate the thought.
RT

Hell, he would not see it for the bottom fairing, so there:lol!:

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum