BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Cooling System Thu May 10, 2012 12:44 pm

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
Riding home yesterday after the annual MOT (safety inspection), which it passed, stopped at traffic lights and noticed some steam coming up through the fairing. Engine temp was normal.

Stripped the bike today and noticed slight dampmess on the rad core. Ran the engine until fan kicked in, initially a few drips of water, then steam as the temp increased. Stopped the engine and although a section of the core is damp, there were no drips.

As I don't want to fork out £370 gb pounds on a new rad., have any of you tried a rad additive, like radweld or similar. Another alternative is to get the rad recored, provided I can find such a company these days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Thu May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Motorworks asks £ 120,- for a used one.

3Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm

GB777

GB777
Silver member
Silver member
Go with the secondhand unit, however get them to pressure test it first.

•Dyno Tuned to deliver 115 bhp. •Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum Cruise Control. •Fuel Plus Version 3.1 Trip Computer. •R1200c Final Drive Gears (32/13 or 2.54). •Ohlins rear shocky. •K100 complete Aluminium Radiator fitted. •Davies Craig Thermo Switch fitted to Cooling Fan with manual over-ride. •Fuel Cap drilled and tapped to provide mounting points for accessories, including mini Tank Bag & Apple CarPlay Screen •HID Hi-Lo Headlight and every other incandescent bulb on bike replaced with LED's. •Bulb monitoring warning light no longer needed so it's now used to indicate when Side Stand is down. •LED (Halo) Front Park Light (BMW Car style).

4Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Thu May 10, 2012 5:41 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member

5Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Thu May 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I've never had a bike one done but I've had many diesel engine ones done - over here a re-core runs about €180-€220 + the Vodka and Tonic (V.A.T).

I never had any issues with quality one re-cored ones.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

6Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Thu May 10, 2012 8:16 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wasnt someone parting out an rt-lt a week or so ago ...."lesso"

have a look in parts for sale ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Sun May 13, 2012 2:28 pm

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
Thanks Guys

There are a couple on e-bay, plus the one from Motorworks.

I have found a few companies that recore bike rads. and am awaiting a quote from West Mercia Radiators, they also give a 2 year warranty.

8Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Sun May 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
BEEJAY wrote:Thanks Guys

There are a couple on e-bay, plus the one from Motorworks.

I have found a few companies that recore bike rads. and am awaiting a quote from West Mercia Radiators, they also give a 2 year warranty.

Here is a tip to plug a leak on a radiator.

Cut the leaky part and start to roll both remaining sides (like the cover of an old sardine can). After each turn, take a pair of pliers and flatten the core. The pressure of the steam/water will never 'unroll' the core.
When you are satisfied, open a can of grounded black pepper and throw it in your radiator.
Refill the radiator and go to ride for a least 10 min.
You must think that I am crazy (Ok, yes I am, but this solution is very serious). The black pepper will plug any small leaks like the expensive automotive products. (If you have this type of problem, you can ring the bell at any house and ask for pepper to fix your bike Cooling System 610153)

When crossing the Sahara desert in the 80's (with a car) we didn't have an electric fan but one mechanically driven from the engine with a belt. The gearbox touched the ground resulting of the engine tilting forward and the fan blades chewed multiple cores on the radiator. We were 100s of kilometers away from any home or repair shop.
We used this method to fix the leak and drove another 1,500 kms before we had the radiator professionally repaired. During the same trip, we also drove over a boulder and tear off a 1" gap in the gas tank. How did we fix it? We made a paste composed of white bread, soap and water and stocked it on the gash. Guess what, it instantly plugged the leak and lasted for ever.
I don't think this would work on a K100 gas tank as the heat of the engine would cook the bread and it would lose its rubbery texture.

These are organic materials and it's no need for chemical product!
If you want to learn many tricks like these, just talk to adventure riders (or drivers).

CRAZY frog (ah ah)

9Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Cooling Problem Mon May 21, 2012 3:00 pm

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
Have now sorted my cooling problem by buying a used one off e-bay for £48 including postage.

A recore would have cost £150 - 250, used one from Motorworks £120 and a new one about £400.

I did try some RadWeld before getting another rad and although the leak was much less, it was still leaking some steam.

Repacement rad arrived this morning, fitted this afternoon and all working fine.

10Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Good value for the Rad Beejay. You can ride with peace of mind again!
88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Mon May 21, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spellinz)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

11Back to top Go down   Cooling System Empty Re: Cooling System Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Hover K100

Hover K100
Silver member
Silver member
[quote="Crazy Frog"]
BEEJAY wrote:Thanks Guys

Here is a tip to plug a leak on a radiator.

Cut the leaky part and start to roll both remaining sides (like the cover of an old sardine can). After each turn, take a pair of pliers and flatten the core. The pressure of the steam/water will never 'unroll' the core.
When you are satisfied, open a can of grounded black pepper and throw it in your radiator.
Refill the radiator and go to ride for a least 10 min.
You must think that I am crazy (Ok, yes I am, but this solution is very serious). The black pepper will plug any small leaks like the expensive automotive products. (If you have this type of problem, you can ring the bell at any house and ask for pepper to fix your bike Cooling System 610153)

CRAZY frog (ah ah)

I've done the rolled core thing too. I have never heard of pepper being used but we used ground ginger several times as a rad sealer with great success so if the house has no pepper then ask for ginger.
BTW there's a Merc 1734 truck somewhere in Africa with a rad sealed with ginger as my old one was exported to there Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/user/HoverIreland?feature=mhee

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum