BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Service after 5 years no running Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 pm

hks300

hks300
Hello guys!!!my name is George and i am from Greece. I just bought a K100 16V that was sitting for 5 years. condition as new with 38000 klm. I am afraid that if i try to start it i might have a problem . What should i do before the first ignition?

2Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:43 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
George, try simplest and cheapest way. Change all oil (engine, transmission and fork oil) change filters (oil, fuel, air) change spark plugs, change (better) or check the tyres, and start the engine. Drive it carrefuly few hundred kms, and then change the engine oil and filter again. If you lucky it will be enough. If not send a new post.

Regards

3Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Service after 5 years no running Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hello George and welcome
I would be buying a brand new battery before trying to start her up, you really need full power through the starter.
Put the bike up on the centre stand, take all of the spark plugs out (make sure you not how the ignition leads are
placed in sequence. Don't get them mixed up). Now rotate the back wheel by hand with the bike still in gear, that will tell you if everything inside the engine is moving freely. Clean and replace the plugs in the engine.
Replace all the oils and start her up.
Sounds like you have a nice machine.
Cheers RT

4Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:54 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome george

in addition to the above posts ....please ...please remove the old fuel from the tank ....take out the fuel pump and inspect the rubber damper - suspension device . clean the tank thoroughly and replace the fuel filter .

also inspect the fuel line rubbers in the tank ....as we have seen many times that rotten fuel will destroy fuel pumps not to mention all the rubish floating around in there from old deteriorating rubber parts , just waiting to be picked up and kill the pump

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:19 pm

hks300

hks300
can you give me information about the oils i should buy and the sparkplugs?i am triyng to download the service and repair manual and i cant find it anywere

6Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, it will also be good to take out the injectors and send them to a shop for a cleaning and refurbishing.
Best regards
JAP

7Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:30 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
hks300 wrote:can you give me information about the oils i should buy and the sparkplugs?i am triyng to download the service and repair manual and i cant find it anywere
Get onto Crazy Frog aka Bert and get a password for the download page. There you will find a myriad info along with all manuals that are available in pdf format.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i think most of us use ngk d7ea spark plugs these days ....you will need to find the bobbins ontop of the threaded sections though ....especially if not removeable from your old plugs

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:24 am

hks300

hks300
got my first pics so today probably i'll post them!!!i started looking for what i am going to need for the service

10Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty K100 after 5 years Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:54 pm

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
hks 300,Congratulations. Very Happy I have just finished similar "rehab" on K100 that sat for at least 5 years with a full tank of gas, less miles. Best bet is to pull the tank and drain. Remove the fuel pump, basket and damper collar and the fuel filter. (Pay attention to wire leads on pump) Replace all with new,(check your date of manufacture as they changed pumps mid '85) and like posted earlier, check the internal fuel lines. I was able to reuse mine, better than what shipped with the new kit. Clean, clean and clean the tank. Use denatured alcohol or paint cleaner. Allow to dry thoroughly. I drained all oils (crankcase oil is 20W50) and replaced. I chose to use old plugs that I cleaned, I knew I would foul them first few starts. Then installed new. (It is hard to find the bobbins for the connections, so check for Bosch XR7LDC, also NGK brands the champion plugs in the U.S.) I added a fuel injection cleaner to the fuel for the first tank. It takes a little time to do all above, may 6-8 hours, be patient. It was hard to start the first time, about 15 minutes, choke off, then ran rough for another 10, lots of smoke in exhaust. Try not to rev too high, have to allow the motor oil to relube. Recheck oil level in sight glass. Mine has started each time now.....hope it continues.

11Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Similar case Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:49 am

ffbikersa

ffbikersa
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi,

I had a similar case - my '89 K 100 LT bike was out of action for a few years. Beside fuel pump which i had to replace (destroyed by the pieces of rubber from vibration damper, that disintegrated in fuel), rear shock absorber started to leak immediately when I first time drove the bike after this long pause - and ventilator fan refuses to turn. Also contacts on indicators, lights, horn switches demanded thoorough cleaning...

Cheers
Tarik
Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina

12Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
kfilipow wrote: Then installed new. (It is hard to find the bobbins for the connections, so check for Bosch XR7LDC, also NGK brands the champion plugs in the U.S.)
Correct Bosch plugs for the 2V is X5DC, if it got genuine HT leads with resistor caps, resistor plugs is used on the 4V (which don`t have resistor caps).

Check post 25 in this thread

13Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Anybody knows how to check if HT leads on 8 V were resistive? Any mark on it?

14Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
In the cap it`s a 5K ohm resistor, and at the connector in the coil end it`s a 1K resistor.

15Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:35 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Inge, I think I have resistor plugs and resistor HT leads in this moment. Possible damage in electrical system?

16Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
No, but both your ignition system and your engine would be more happy to work with the resistance which it`s designed for.

You would be closer to the danger zone the other way around, 0 ohms.....
......or no spark plugs connected.

Both could possibly damage the output transistors in the ignition ECU.

17Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:No, but both your ignition system and your engine would be more happy to work with the resistance which it`s designed for.

You would be closer to the danger zone the other way around, 0 ohms.....
......or no spark plugs connected.

Both could possibly damage the output transistors in the ignition ECU.

Thanks Inge

18Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:40 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, I think that the system would try to keep the voltage constant, so increasing the resistance decreases intensity, which means a weak spark, a less efficient combustion and less power. Crying or Very sad
Best regards
JAP

19Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

hks300

hks300
Hey guys!!!!after one year of running and moving in Germany with a new job new house new life I am going to start working on my bike again!since last year it stayed in Greece and I am planning to work on it on my vacation. I just wanted to say again a hello and ask a question, if I buy new battery, spark plags and fill the bike with new oils, and then after my vacation the bike will stay put for a year until i bring it to germany, next year i will also have to do the same process all over again?

20Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
When you lay it up after the vacation use some fuel stabilizer and change the oil and filter before you lay it up.
As for the battery if you can leave it with someone you trust to do it right just give it a short low charge each month and it should last for another year at least. You can get the smart charger that you leave on all the time and it will give it charges as it needs and even gives discharges sometimes to make a realistic op cycle but they will cost as much as a good battery.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

21Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:25 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
The big thing seems to be the petrol and the petrol tank. It is very frustrating but there is little choice. The advice about the fuel stabiliser is good. Enjoy the k and hope it will work out for you.

92KK

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

22Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 pm

hks300

hks300
Service after 5 years no running Bmw_zps6a2b0d5f

here is a pic of my baby

23Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:40 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Nice bike Hks.
If I am not mistaken that looks like a very rare K100/2

What is the vin on the bike?

Is that the 16v? Looks like an 8v head to me.
Someone will correct me.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

24Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:49 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Yep, 8v head and 8v pipe

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Service after 5 years no running K-dogs10

25Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:55 am

hks300

hks300
my mistake guys, what's the difference with the k100/2?

26Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:26 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
hks300 wrote:
my mistake guys, what's the difference with the k100/2?

I think that you may find that's a market-specific thing. A bit like a K100 "Basic" and a K75T - both are model designations applied by an importer and not found outside their markets.

27Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:44 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
If your bike is not a /2 then someone has done a great job to make it look like one.
Low seat, black wheels, headlight surround, black engine. And chrome handle bars and the spring wrapped front brake lines.
Only difference I can see is the bike is black and the heat shield is not chromed.

Do a search here for the forum member Basic2 and check out his bike.

Service after 5 years no running Img_2014

This is a photo of Basic2's bike.

Last edited by rossko on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Stupid ipad won't post the picture)

K1100RS 0194321

28Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:57 pm

hks300

hks300
rossko wrote:If your bike is not a /2 then someone has done a great job to make it look like one.
Low seat, black wheels, headlight surround, black engine.
Only difference I can see is the bike is black and the heat shield is not chromed.

The photo is not great, but that is my bike k100/2

I am waiting for the pic Rossko~ btw i didnt understand the difference, it something on the appearence?themotor?the value?

29Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
rossko wrote:If your bike is not a /2 then someone has done a great job to make it look like one.
Low seat, black wheels, headlight surround, black engine. And chrome handle bars and the spring wrapped front brake lines.

Service after 5 years no running Img_2014

This is a photo of Basic2's bike.

This is a K100Service after 5 years no running K100

Compare the headlight surround, the radiator shrouds, the seat.  The K100/2 (the red bike and your bike) are different in these details to this earlier model. Both are 8 valve, there was no 16v naked unless you built one yourself.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Service after 5 years no running K-dogs10

30Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Basic2

Basic2
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi George,
Welcome & congratulations on your find.
It certainly looks like a Basic/2.
Does the frame number end in "CJ"?
Good luck with the restoration.

31Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Zononfeil (sic) has a K11 that he did in Basic/2 and it looks realy tops. There is a pic of it here somewhere but I cant find it. He is also one of the team at flying brick site www.flyingbrick.de I think thats right.

32Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:57 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the site George Wink

33Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:46 am

hks300

hks300
Thank you again for the welcome guys!!!!! Bacic2 I am in love with your bike!!!She looks like new!!!! I know that it was bought 1st hand, and the guy who had it is a member of the family and didnt do anything except the seat who putted a lower one. Utherwise I see a lot of similarities but also a lot of diferences

34Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:12 pm

hks300

hks300
Hei guys I just got the vin and I found on the net the following. From what i read here is that it should be /2, am I right? But mine is black and I am pretty sure that it is not painted

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"]Modell[/b]K100/2
[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"]Baureihe[/b]K55
[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"]Karosserie[/b]Motorrad

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"]Motor:[/b]4-ZYL - 1,00l (66kW)
[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"]Getriebe:[/b]manuell
[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"]Außenfarbe:[/b]MARRAKESCHROT ZIERL --/ (643)

35Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:50 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Looks like a basic to me then.
Take care of it. They only made 1300 ish for the whole planet.

K1100RS 0194321

36Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty I'm a bit of a risk taker Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:14 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I agree with Charlie 99.

but I might do a little less, before attempting a start:
 I would remove and empty the tank.
If by some miracle the rubber pieces inside (especially around the fuel pump) are not all melted from the fuel (unlikely)......do whatever's needed to get the tank clean, then put a couple of quarts of fresh fuel in it.
If needed replace the rubber parts and see the articles in the forum on how to repair your pump.
Read all those carefully, there is one VERY good post about the steps to disassemble & reassemble the pump.
It's tricky but it can be done with some care.
 Install a new battery.
Disconnect the small wires from the ignition coils & try spinning the starter for 20 seconds or so to make some oil circulation. Listen for fuel pump to spin up for 1 1/2 seconds after you touch the green starter button.
 If you get that far, connect the coils & see if it'll start up.

You can change all those fluids & parts after you get some kind of evaluation of what you have.

It appears my bike was an unusual case. Although the tank inside was all deteriorated, It started up normally after the tank and pump were changed....the injectors worked fine as found.

Regards, Ibjman

37Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:47 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
It looks like the basic/2 comes with a K75 tank and a R100 Mystic headlamp. Does this make them a parts bin special???

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

38Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Actually the Mystic had the Basic headlight, the Mystics were early ti mid 90s.

39Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 pm

hks300

hks300
Service after 5 years no running 0011_zps5b3f8ec1
This it a picture from the day before she falls asleep in the garage:D

40Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:08 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Rick HKS300 I sure do like the look of the 75 seat and tank on the 100, that headlight would have sold well when the first models came out with the plastic cowl

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

41Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:44 pm

hks300

hks300
Hey again everybody, I wanted to ask , isnt it better to try fire it up the first time with the cables connected in my cars battery?It wont have more power?

42Back to top Go down   Service after 5 years no running Empty Re: Service after 5 years no running Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Should be OK but make sure the car electronics won't be damaged from spikes.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum