BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re-built water pump Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:10 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
I've been very busy at home last few days stripping bike down replacing seals that leak on output shaft and, the water pump Shocked . Bike has been re-assembled but it leaks-water from the front plate and oil from the big hole where my sensor wires come from. I'm guessing the sealant isn't holding, how long should i leave the sealant before filling with oil and water and running? I've been at it a while now but i'm so close. bounce

2Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:49 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Not knowing what material you're using(??) normally you apply it on both side in a very thin layer and leave it for 20-30 mins and then you put it together, slowly torquing it down. That normally does the trick.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Re-built water pump Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:17 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Cheers ReneZ,

Its the blue sealant from motorworks, my error has been not applying the sealant to both sides and waiting the 20-30 mins before fitting.

I'd only done one side of a join and fitted it in 10. Always learning. Will try again tomorrow time for a Re-built water pump 292303

Thanks again

4Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:41 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I also believe that once you have tightened the bolts up... walk away from the bike and don't add water and oil for approx 24 hours.... (maybe being overly cautious there!) It is what I am going to be doing tomorrow as I am going to get everything back on the engine.

That way the gasket has plenty of time to cure before you add fluids which will find any way out..

Re-built water pump 169042Re-built water pump 169034

5Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:01 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nods head .....i agree twincarb ...just leave it to cure off properly

dont forget that little notch which is the over presure return to sump ....kinda looks like a half moon ..make sure it is free of sealant and open to allow the return flow

Re-built water pump 2012-045

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
captaink wrote:Its the blue sealant from motorworks,

Which kind?............if it`s Hylomar it isn`t suited for the oil pressure.

7Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:42 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:

Granville blue gasket sealant 40g | OIA11023 (motorworks code)

twincarb, charlie99 and ReneZ - I've done exactly as you've suggested, I reckon 2 more hours and I'll fill her up.....fingers crossed this time :|

will keep you posted

captaink

8Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:55 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
I used the Loctite brand sealant recommended by BMW on all my water/oil gasket areas.

Didn't wait more than an hour i guess before i filled it with oil and water and fired it up, let it idle up to temp. No leaks. I try to be really fussy with making sure the surfaces are super clean before applying sealant. Maybe i have just been lucky but even when i was doing Turbo/Supercharged car engines etc i never waited more than an hour for sealant to cure.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Re-built water pump 170874

9Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:41 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
captaink wrote:
Inge K. wrote:

Granville blue gasket sealant 40g | OIA11023 (motorworks code)
Don`t have any experience with that sealant.

But Motorworks also have/had the blue Hylomar, which isn`t suited.

10Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:57 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
🇳🇴

A step forward, no oil leak, no leak from the front of the pump. Water leaks from hole where the sensor wires come from.

Crying or Very sad It aint my weekend.

Is the o ring the issue because of where it leaks?

I await your responses before i strip it down again.

captain useless at water pumps Sad

11Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:17 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You could be correct about the O-ring, as a leaking shaft seal normaly
would leak out of the weep hole.

Can`t think of any other possibilities at this moment.

On the other hand the O-ring is bit to far to the side of the pump housing, so it don`t seems that likely.

A glogged weep hole channel?

How about you Charlie? You did recently rebuild yours.....

Last edited by Inge K. on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

12Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
I've just double checked, no leak from weep hole.

It ran lovely - maybe 10-15 mins then dribble started.

13Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:23 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
i guess its all got to come apart again then.

14Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have done 2 recently, I think if it is comming from the hole where wires go then it may still be the cover. If it is leaking around the O ring it probably wouldn't get to the wires it would run down futher to the left of the engine.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

15Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:30 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
It appears ok on left side of bike.

Perhaps it is the front plate.....cant see though.

I guess only solution is to take front plate off and have look behind. Rolling Eyes

16Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah I'd give that a go before anything else. One that I did took me 3 goes to get it to seal, it was OK till the pressure built up. I personally dont like the no gasget approach they would be much easier with a good gasget

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

17Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You should also be able to judge it when removing the cover.
I assume the pump was clean and dry on the top, when the cover was mounted.

18Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes quite possibly the cover plate .....if it was weeping it would flow back to the valley behind then out the hole for the cables ...

what i did was to surface sand the cover plate so i had a fresh new face to seal to.... i used 400 wet and dry ...

i also checked the surface to pump body for distortions ..

Re-built water pump Pics_039

there was a couple of residue spots up in the top right ..which cleaned up with some thinners

it might also be important to start in the middle and work outwards when doing up the screws

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

19Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Plate came off, didnt see any water in valley behind the O-ring part.
Water sat in valley by the wire hole.
Water also in top valley, top right.

So i think water is coming from top right flowing down to wire hole.

The pump will stay on the bike Smile

Inge K. - Yeah the pump body was clean and dry.

When the bike ran earlier it was for about 10-15 mins no problems, the fan kicked in and was still ok. I switched off the bike when fan stopped then the dribble started.

Rick G - I'm surprised there is no rubber gasket available as an after-market upgrade perhaps.

Charlie99 - There is evidence of a previous water leak top right on the plate.

If it leaks again I'll try another brand of sealer....somebody mentioned loctite but which number would be best.

20Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I have used Permatex black RTV earlier, with good results.

As you can see that it previously have been a leak at the same spot,
it might be a idea to sand the surface...as Charlie did.

21Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:23 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
might be a good idea to put a straight edge accross the cover plate sealing face , measuring for a slight distortion .

i was surprised that you let it get up to fan activation ..so soon after sealing it down . getting it warm would help with the cureing .....possibly next time try with the water cap off ....so it doesnt get full expansion presure ....then after the cool down (should take an hour or so )...put the cap on , making sure that there is little air in the system .

i used "drie bond" sealant ...worked for me ...but any reasonable sealant should work on the water pump face .

hope that helps

22Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
I have/did sand the plate and body so all parts are shiny, but i do wonder if perhaps its not even .....and thats only because its leaking. I used i steel ruler to check but maybe thats not the correct way.

Charlie - i'll try that next time, perhaps run the bike for a short time maybe 5 mins or till temperature is half way on gauge and then let it sit, at the time i didnt think the fan coming on was a problem.... until now.

How many times du think the bike should be started/stopped before getting really hot? I never even thought about running bike without cap on.

23Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
And also wait a few hours with the first startup, so the sealant is allowed to cure.

24Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:45 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Yeah will do, although i did wait 24 hrs this time. I'm still learning, its a joy to work on.

25Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sanding the plate so its shiny is only half the job ...what i had done but not explained. well , was to use a new sheet of wet and dry accross an extreemly flat surface ...my operation was to grind off the high spots so that the whole cover would have a flat surface to start with . some recommend a bit of glass for this as it is extreemly flat and wont distort at all .

i had done the pump face and rear before getting to this point .

yes a couple of warm only sesions might be appropriate ...that would give it several hours curing time before fitting the cap and a full run at presure ..

funny but its the way that ive always done it ....the reasoning is to allow all the air - water to circulate properly ...usually you will see bubbles come out of all the nooks and crannies down inside .you might notice that it will suck a fair bit more fluid in this process to get back to "full "..it also allows the impeller not just cavitate but take in new fuid all the time amd push it through the system ...you need to get the thermostat to open as well to let the fuid do a full flow through the radiator ...so that means getting it up to about 80 degrees c ....(umm 160 -180 f ?) maybe on the second run ?

you can usually manouver the tank whilst keeping fuel rails connected to get to the cap and observe the drop in fluid and let the air escape ..given that the rubber fuel lines arent too tight or short at least

but try not to stess the fuel pump electrical connections in that process ......i have found you can route the connector / wiring around the frame to allow a bit of manovering .

26Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One of the best flat surfaces is a piece of tempered glass. I have one that used to be part of the door to a microwave oven. Wet it and a sheet of 400 grit wet sandpaper and it will come out flat.

27Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:26 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for all your advice so far guys certainly keeps me focused.

Up-date :- Re-checked flatness of front cover, unable to check pump part as thats secure and not leaking. Re-sealed last night, filled this morning and gently run for 5 mins not pressurised and no leak.
I have run the bike twice now enough to get thermostat open, still no leak but still not pressurised.

Having a Re-built water pump Images10

Just waiting a little longer before i screw the cap on.

Anything else I should do/consider before screwing cap on.

Perhaps over cautious now.

28Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
prommising results ...keep at it !!

and good luck this time around .

29Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:43 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Just run bike for 10/15 mins in garage, temperature gauge just below 3/4 fan kicked in and still no leak.

In this run revs taken upto 2500 rpm. Time for a ride up the road and back i think.

30Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:29 am

Life time member
Life time member
Good luck Captian K.....88KE out!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

31Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Re-built water pump 212902

Thank you everybody for all your help and words of encouragement.

Just been on a trip and no leaks. I'm kinda presuming that i wont get anything now. Got her up to a massive 60mph and waited in the usual traffic back in town, i didnt want to push my luck by going too far away.

32Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Alyson M. Nerker

Alyson M. Nerker
Rick G wrote:One of the best flat surfaces is a piece of tempered glass. I have one that used to be part of the door to a microwave oven. Wet it and a sheet of 400 grit wet sandpaper and it will come out flat.

I wouldn't recomend using tempered glass. Tempering glass can sometimes give glass a slight curve if it's first or last out of the oven. Regular annealed glass would be better suited for this kind of work. Also, the thicker the better. At least 3/8" (10mm) glass or thicker. Most glass companies will give you a sample if you ask for one. Hope this helps, Alyson

33Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I check with a strait edge but, more than anything the beauty of the glass is that when the sandpaper is wet it really sticks to it and is easy to use.
I used glass with valve grinding paste to fit the cases of my triumph, many years ago, it worked well the bike only leaked half as much as it did before.

34Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 am

Alyson M. Nerker

Alyson M. Nerker
Rick G wrote:I check with a strait edge but, more than anything the beauty of the glass is that when the sandpaper is wet it really sticks to it and is easy to use.
I used glass with valve grinding paste to fit the cases of my triumph, many years ago, it worked well the bike only leaked half as much as it did before.

Hi Rick, Your oven door glass was most likely not tempered as tempered glass can't absorb the heat and will break. Most likely it is pyro-ceram or neo-ceram glass or a similar make up of glass. I've seen tempered glass installed in fireplace glass screens and it will break. It doesn't hold up well in oven doors either. You're right on with the wet sand paper as it does hold extemely well. I just wanted to clarify that it's not uncommon for tempered glass to be bent so tempered glass would not be the best choice. Hope this helps, Alyson

35Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Life time member
Life time member
"And still they gaz'd and still the wonder grew,
That one small head could carry all he knew."

(From the Village schoolmaster by Oliver Goldsmith)

It never ceases to amaze me the stuff people on this forum know! Everyday is a learning day Very Happy

I had set aside a piece of stove door glass for the workshop....I shall now sling it and get something less exotic.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

36Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I do hope you didn't take it from the current stove, SWMBO would not be impressed Re-built water pump 167893

37Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty Re: Re-built water pump Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I used a mirror to do my triumph sat it on a towel on the bench, works a treat, but then again not much downward pressure either, but a mirror looks flat and is opticly easy to check

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

38Back to top Go down   Re-built water pump Empty oil pump Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:45 am

sven k100

sven k100
took me about 4 attempts to seal mine, i think due to the high oil pressure, unregulated at the pump. I even made an 0.25mm paper gasket but it blew out instantly. In the end i used permatex rtv and placed a small heater below the pump for hours until the front of the engine was hot to the touch. Only then did i fill the engine with fluids and start up.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum