BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I may be getting another K shortly, as a project, but have to transport it 400 kms on my ute. Any suggestions on the best way to tie it down correctly? I had a look at how Charlie tied his K down on a table top ute and unfortunately I know how the recovery truck ties down the sick and dead bikes.
Hopefully I will obtain a 1987 Rt with 93000 kms this week.

2Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi ainsjack ....rickg and some others came with a few suggestions to the best way to tie down ....(rather than puting stress on the fairings ....please read on a bit further )

a donor oops ...or second bike ...cool !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OSafe transportation Au-log10

"redframe" rs "bitsa"  with many contributions from the k100 community ,,with many thanks

3Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:12 pm

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day ainsjack , my Bike has had to be "transported" a few times over it's long life , the 1st time via a BMW Dealership , what the Tech did was to pass tie downs under the fork tube fairing boots over the top of the lower triple clamp then back down onto the bike trailer , the straps were angled down & tightened until the forks compressed about halfway , the bike was supported on it's wheels straight up & down ie not on the side or centre stand , he didn't really have to put anything on the rear but lightly put another strap around a frame tube on the left side under the side cover with a hook through the hole behind the upper shock mount on the right side , she travelled safely this way with no damage

Hope this helps

JR

Melbourne Australia

4Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm

This stuff, available from your local building site, or bubble wrap combined with cloth, is good for protecting those sharp edges or vulnerable bits. Sean.

Safe transportation Sam_0410

Safe transportation Sam_0411

5Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:50 pm

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
I have transported a few Ks with fairing and others.
Drop the fork oil otherwise you will blow the fork seals. The constant pressure gets a bit much for the poor things.
You need to have some runners to prevent the front from either turning of mooving sideways, I use a piece of 50mm x 100mm channel bolted to the floor but fixed to the front upright section is ok or both.
The best way is to use rope, the first goes round the left fork leg above the lower triple clamp and across to the right side tiedown point the of trailer or tray the next from the right fork leg above the triple clamp to the left tiedown point. Careful not to include any wiring or cables.
Doing it crossed prevents the ropes chafing the fairing.
If you use the silver (part nylon) rope dont use the classic truckies knot but make a knot for a loop. The silver rope will work loose unlike hemp rope. Don't ask.
Pull the forks down bit at a time till as secure as you want.
I then do the same again on both sides as insurance.

for the rear just tie so as to prevent it mooving around and bouncing but no need to tie it tight.

Seems like you are starting to feed the Kpox sickness.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

6Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:21 pm

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Didn't know that about the fork seals , good tip

Ta Rick

JR

Melbourne Australia

7Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks so far for comments. Have secured a U channel the same length as the ute tray, 7 foot long. ...bloody heavy, thick stuff. As this is my first flirtation with a faired K I need all the help I can get. Having the naked one virtually all you need to get to is very easy so this will be a new challenge.
Charlie, were you suggesting that some bits from my "project" may disappear and head to a northern state?
Will post photos after I get the bike...need to get the balaclava and chainsaw out and go to the bank sometime soon.

8Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon, do I spy a fan in your photos? Fan and Guyra....do they go together?

9Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:28 pm

It's just to move the warm air from the fire around............. :suspect:

10Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:29 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ainsjac wrote:Charlie, were you suggesting that some bits from my "project" may disappear and head to a northern state?

not at all stan...was wondering if you intended on making a second beast roadworthy .....or if it was for backup bits ....

hope shes a goodun mate ...good to hear your going to play with a new toy ...

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%OSafe transportation Au-log10

"redframe" rs "bitsa"  with many contributions from the k100 community ,,with many thanks

11Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:25 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I am off to Sydney tomorrow to collect the bike. Today, the wrecker had his mechanic go over it and the list is short. Right mirror broken, slight oil leak in "diff" and that is it. With the repair to the mirror the bike would be roadworthy for rego. Now you raised an interesting point...what to do? My naked will be 30 next year, old enough in NSW to be placed on historic plates...very cheap rego and insurance. That way I could do the RT up and have a choice of rides.
The wrecker has THROWN OUT most of his K100s to make room for faster moving stuff! Apparently motors are that reliable that he didn't have a market to cater to. The most favourite parts were plastics and panniers and the number of people looking for these was dwindling fast. The later 16 valve heads were popular with Mini owners, but the old 8s were not sought.
Eight hundred kms tomorrow with the ute and will get photos etc in about 24 hours.

12Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:40 am

Looking forward to some pics!

13Back to top Go down   Safe transportation Empty Re: Safe transportation on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
When I got the K100LT I had to trailer it home.

Fork was tied down to trailer, each side.

I also attached two ties each side from the downtubes under the plastic side panels to the trailer, one was straight across to the sides of the trailer, the second one at 45 degrees to a point behind the bike to stop any tendency to move forward.

Front and rear wheels were in a channel, wheels each had a tie down around the channel.

I have various ratchet type tie downs and they work a treat.

Saddle and side panels were taken off for the trip, plastic over to protect it. Panniers, fairing etc all left on and undamaged.

Last edited by 92KK K100LT 193214 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 32,600 miles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum