BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    K100RS handle bars on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 am

John The Hat

I am finding the handle bars on my K100RS a bit narrow. Apparently the 16v version uses wider bars and this sounds like a good idea, BUT...

What else will I have to change ? The already pretty non functional mirrors would then show nothing but my gloves, what are the chances of finding the 1" extension that the 16V used at a reasonable cost ?

Will the control cables need changing ?

The bike is an '89 "special edition" 8v, ABS with factory heated grips.

If anyone has done this, advice would be welcome.

2Back to top Go down    Re: K100RS handle bars on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:10 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello, check for mirror extensions on motorworks or motobins. They use to have it.

When I had RS 8 V, I changed the handlebars for K 100 handlebars (10 cm wider, and higher) In that case you need longer handlebar brake hose and longer clutch cable, and K 100 key plate. I didnt change the key plate, just cut the edges of RS plate (cheaper solution).

You can find used parts on motorworks.

Regards

3Back to top Go down    Re: K100RS handle bars on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 am

electric_monk

Silver member
Silver member
I have performed a similar substitution but used a set of K75C bars. They are wider and taller and have taken the strain of my arms and wrists. I didn't have to replace any of the cabling, but the bike already had a different brakeline so I can't be certain about the standard one. Because the bars are higher I have a much better view into the mirrors. I haven't got around to cutting up the handlebar crash pad yet, but now that i'm happy to stickwith the mod I will do.

4Back to top Go down    K100 RS handle bars done. on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:54 am

John The Hat

Job done. I used a pair of K1100 bars, drilled for the heated grips. The difference is subtle but quite noticeable. The wiring for the grips makes it a bit of a PITA but the only problem I encountered was that two of the connectors for the grips pulled off when I pulled them through the frame. The lugs for the bar end weights make it necessary to do some artistic cutting of handlebar rubbers and grommet removal. I plan to fit the 16V mirror adapters and the bar end weights & see if the mirrors are more use than a chocolate fire place 1" further out, and if the weights cut down the vibes a bit.

Which indeed they do. The mirror adapters are a bit of a pain to fit but I can now see stuff behind me. And the bar end damper do what it says on the tin.

Last edited by John The Hat on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update.)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum