You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Hey guys,

Instead of making posts with absurdly retarded questions about my K100, I thought it would be a better idea to create a blog where I can share some of the experiences and challenges on the way to getting it running again.

I'm considering a complete rebuild coming winter, and this will be an archive of sorts Cool

From my experience trying to restore an old XJ, progress can be slow. Thus the title for the post, he he.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
I like your concept Erman.

But whats wrong with absurdly retarded questions......its the only thing i'm good at. Oh and dumb looks.

Good luck with the blog.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 170874

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Why not there are a few here that have done/are doing it and they are good reading for many a new member and I dare say the many hundreds who lurk here.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Life time member
Life time member
Go for it Erman...I'll be reading it!!!

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks a lot! The first update is already here:

The bike is originally a 1984 K100RS, but the PO has taken the front fairing off and sold it before I bought the bike.
He'd experimented with LED turnsignals on the front, but these did not work. I opted to put on bulb blinkers from my Seca as a temporary option.

The first thing I did, was to examine the bike for wear etc. Occasional dripping from the obvious locations on engine, but working electronics and unknown condition of oils and coolant. Not to mention squeeky brakes.

I even got to riding it for a little while, whilst waiting for parts. Before the first parcel came in, it decided to quit on me Rolling Eyes

Oil is now drained, and I've put new sealant and o-ring on the bottom pan - hoping that it will hold oil better than before.
Also, new crank breather hose, new air/oil filter are also in.Currently waiting for new shiny bits from Motoworks, and an 18mm ig.plug socket.

Next up, I'll have to check/fix the oil leak from the clutch. I could probably benefit from changing the rear wheel, but I want the bike running before I do that.

Finally, there are the cosmetic changes: round cruiser headlight on the front (which I want to replace with a small fairing), new seat cover, fresh paint, new decals, deep cleaning.

Stay tuned...

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Life time member
Life time member
It's all good progress Erman The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 112350 - glad to see you're getting stuck in!
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Small update:

Still waiting for parts. Our customs people do a magnificent job at stopping and checking everything with a value of NOK 200,- (20£ or 32$). Delaying the delivery by 2-3 days and adding 30% to the final paid price.

So I haven't gotten to checking the spark plugs, thus coming along at diagnosing my starting troubles, just yet...

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Good start Erman those bits will help with the engine running smoothly. The leak in the clutch my be the oring that goes between the engine output shaft and the clutch flywheel you will want to keep an eye out for this as the clutch on mine started spinning with the oil on the clutch pad.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Halo wrote:Good start Erman those bits will help with the engine running smoothly. The leak in the clutch my be the oring that goes between the engine output shaft and the clutch flywheel you will want to keep an eye out for this as the clutch on mine started spinning with the oil on the clutch pad.

Thanks! I did actually get a spare oil seal from the PO. I got intermittent dripping, which I've stopped by tucking some tissue paper in the affected area, but the plan is to drain the clutch oil, change the oil seal, and hopefully get it back together.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
During last week, I've received ig.plug tool and new gaskets. These were promptly changed. I also went and bought new gear oil and coolant.
Some pictures of the bike below:

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7832204680_eb3c08dc47_c

When I filled coolant, I noticed a leak from this small peephole... oh boy!
The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7832195902_9be61865c4_c

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Time for a water/oil pump overhaul........I`ll guess it have been running for some time w/o coolant, when it leaks like this while just trying to add coolant.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep its broke .....

get "the kit" erman

you will be pulling the shaft from the oil pump as well durring the process , and i think the later style impeller does a good job any how .

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t886-oil-water-pump-rebuild?highlight=water+pump

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks guys!
I had a bad feeling when I opened the coolant drain hole, and only 4-5 dl came out Laughing

I was going to ask whether it would be difficult to dismantle the water/oil pump assy, but judging from the videos and the guide, it should be easy enough.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only trap is the bolts, a couple of them are not very easy to see especially when there is the usual coating of oily dirt. Make sure you clean the hex head out before you try anything as you eed the full depth to get the needed grip.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice machine herman, all the help you need is one this forum, That rear shock is a good peice of kit.

BIG D

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Interesting placement of the front indicators

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
rossco wrote:Interesting placement of the front indicators

I know Laughing

PO had the fairing removed and sold before I acquired the bike. Said he was planning on converting the bike into a street fighter. I mounted a pair of rear blinkers from my Seca as a temporary solution. Ultimately, I want to go for LEDs all over, but that has to wait.

Once I get the bike moving without leaks, I want to go for something like this:

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 82-583_l

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Finall got the water pump housing off the bike. It immediately struck me how much dirt it had collected through the years - oily dirt that had gotten into places you would have thought the cover would, well cover....

The following discoveries were made:

- Old type impeller (14 on the picture below). Cast iron, I presume. Looks kinda inefficient. Can I change it?
- Worn seals (7 and Cool and spacer (15. Is it made of plastic?)
- Couldn't get the small drive shaft out (9), and neither the o-ring (10)
- The large drive shaft has a threaded shaft towards the front, and a hex slot on the backside. No visible scoring. Is this the newer type?

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog Waterp10

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Unfortunately you have the older type of pump, the newer type is the one pictured.
Those older type can't be rebuilt easily and not with OEM parts.
The small gear should come out with a bit of persuasion but don't lever against the engine casing as you will score the sealing surface.
You will need a later type of large gear and a pump kit as well as a new type of impeller and the bolt in the centre of the impeller. Motobins have it all ready and waiting just for you.

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Yes Erman do like Rick G says his dead right I had exactly the same setup as you. There are plenty of threads on it here CF did a great writeup.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Rick G wrote:Unfortunately you have the older type of pump, the newer type is the one pictured.
Those older type can't be rebuilt easily and not with OEM parts.
The small gear should come out with a bit of persuasion but don't lever against the engine casing as you will score the sealing surface.
You will need a later type of large gear and a pump kit as well as a new type of impeller and the bolt in the centre of the impeller. Motobins have it all ready and waiting just for you.

Thanks alot!

I will order the kit which will fit the new type impeller, and the impeller itself. And then I have to get hold of a newer type of toothed gear, but not too new, ca. 1983-1989 right?

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
This is the motobins part number for the large gear Part No.11535

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Rick G wrote:This is the motobins part number for the large gear Part No.11535

Great. I'll have a look on the buy&sell pages first if someone wants to get rid of their gear&shaft for a reasonable price...

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
I'm sure you guys already tried sourcing older parts for the water pump, and that leaves me no choice but try to install the new shaft and seals.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures of the pump housing after moderate cleaning:

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7870309050_5433850a71_c

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7870308242_80b9ae197a_c

And here are the old seals - you can see how much gunk they've collected...

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7870307578_6d1d04ee43_c

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Have a look at Moto bins....... K Series/engine parts/oil and water pump.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Every time i do a pump thats what the seals look like, little bits of hard rubber, the odd spring and a washer or two.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Inge! Parts ordered... 1000 NOKs. Customs going to rain fire on my a**...

Rick G wrote:Every time i do a pump thats what the seals look like, little bits of hard rubber, the odd spring and a washer or two.

Amazing... How many kms between change? Or did you mean when you do other people's pumps?

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have done 3 for myself (one for each bike) ane 2 for others.

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Erman wrote:When I filled coolant, I noticed a leak from this small peephole... oh boy!
The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7832195902_9be61865c4_c

Judging from the oil res. fins it looks like the PO did some off-roading. I mean, how else would you do that? Shocked

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Driving off a kerb,zaubertuba.

'The voice of experience!'

Paul.

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work Erman

Halo

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
zaubertuba wrote:
Erman wrote:When I filled coolant, I noticed a leak from this small peephole... oh boy!

Judging from the oil res. fins it looks like the PO did some off-roading. I mean, how else would you do that? Shocked

Actually, that was me Embarassed

I managed to snag it on a curb. Me weighing 120 kg + a passanger of 70 kgs + a higher curb than expected managed to do that Laughing

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
While waiting for the water pump toothed gear, I've spent some time looking at the obvious oil leaks on the front of the engine. I took off the covers and put on new rubber gaskets on the covers and bolts, as well as sealing compound.
The only place that got me stumped, was the timing chain cover, where I didn't have any gaskets, but instead only used sealing compound. Will this cause clearance issues on the inside? I also checked the oil seal, and while it looked ripe for replacing, I had none lying around and opted to wait for the end of season.

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7973688708_02580b9ff5_c

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7973686290_147125b472_c

On second thought, I should probably have checked valve clearances, but procrastination devil took me Laughing

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

boristhebike

boristhebike
VIP
VIP
Nice blog, nice RS. Good pics. Thanks. Cool

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sweet

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
boristhebike wrote:Nice blog, nice RS. Good pics. Thanks. Cool

It's no RS anymore. Although originally so, the PO has removed the fairing and sold it. Says he wanted to convert it to a street fighter before he sold it to me due to time limitations.

I'm planning on taking it a little further once I get it running; small fairing in the front, and a higher set of bars.

I wanted to do clip-ons, but they're not in the budget right now...

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Life time member
Life time member
My engine was at that stage a couple of months back Erman, whilst I did the engine cover painting and inspected the cam chain. Since I had no real issues I decided to put it all back together and wait until winter to do the cam chain and valve shims. I also reused the rubbers seals on the covers (after careful cleaning of old sealant residue).

I used "Dirko" sealing compound on the joints and a little on the rubbers as well. I let it go off for 24 hrs before refilling oils and water and had no leaks.

Good work so far The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 112350

K75RTP - 1994

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
So, the new shaft has arrived and the pump is assembled. Having a little trouble fitting the small gear though. It seems the new o-ring makes it hard to get all the way in. I guess using a hammer is out of the question?

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Beware that the cutout in the shaft is off center.

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog Aksel11

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes it should slot in just nicely .....else turn it 180 degrees

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks! I wrote the post and went to try again, when it magically slotted in.
The pump assy is bolted on and awaiting the 24H mark for sealant to settle.

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
I'm really looking forward to getting off work today. I spent yesterday evening refilling coolant and oil, and left the bike overnight for a leak-down test. This morning, I noticed no signs of oil or coolant on the exterior and tried to start the bike.
I was hoping that it would start, but the battery was too weak. 8 hours of charging should do the trick.

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to getting home later!

(Btw Inge, how do the K's hold up in the cold - i mean COLD? This morning I read +2 on the dial, so it must have been a few below 0 tonight..)

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good news ...so far erman hope she hold together on the running test ...

dont forget to run the bike for a short time to let the bubbles out of the cooling system ..with the cap off .....

good luck... got my fingers crossed

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Erman wrote:(Btw Inge, how do the K's hold up in the cold - i mean COLD? This morning I read +2 on the dial, so it must have been a few below 0 tonight..)

No problem (when you got a good battery). Earlier I did use the K all year around
for commuting, as it was my only vehicle.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Good man, good man...

Well, I'm home from work now... and battery seems half full.
So I tried to crank it, but no deal. After a few attempts, I noticed that there was a slight wetness and dripping coolant around the muffler manifold for cylinder 1&3... Not good...

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It could be that a new head gasket is the next step on your to do list.

This would be caused by running the engine with a close to empty coolant circuit, which yours apparently did refered to the earlier posts.

If it sad enough ends up to be the reason for the leak, check the cylinder head for straightness.

And don`t do to many starting attempts with a weak battery, you could end up with a welded starter relay.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Hahaha... wow... the list just keeps adding up, eh?

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
In realization that I need to check and most likely replace the head gasket, I've been thinking about a way to do it with a minimal amount of dissambly.

The engine needs base support, and I need to unbolt the frame from the engine:

The slow road back to roadworthiness - a blog 7995363047_6c221f3cce_n

Also, the timing chain has to come off, as well as the cams, and then the head bolts. The question is if the air box is separate from the air distribution unit, so that it can clear a dismount?

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Erman wrote:The question is if the air box is separate from the air distribution unit, so that it can clear a dismount?

It`s hose in front of the air filter housing which connects it to the plenum chamber, it`s a hard to reach hose clamp at the rear of the plenum chamber.

Check the rubbers between the TB`s and plenum, if they are old, dry and have started to crack (not unusal, and would sooner or later lead to a air leak), this is the correct moment to change them.

It would also make this work a whole lot easier, with the plenum out of the way.

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks, Inge.

Looks like this is turning into a full-on winter project. Luckily, we have lots of winter-time here in Norway Laughing

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum