BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:44 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
The temperature is cooling off in western Canada, though we still have glorious weather. I wanted to get up to the Alpine Meadows at Manning Park in BC before the rains set in. This area is about 1 1/2 hours from my house. It is as great semi wilderness area with a ski resort, and awesome camping at Lightning Lakes, Loon Lake, and others. Tremendous hiking trails as well. A twisty Highway 3 (which is a 2 and 4 lane road) takes you up there and well beyond if you wish.

Manning Park BC Img_0717

The elevation tops out at about 1350 meters on the main roadway, but other points off the main road get higher. The ski area summit is 1789 meters. A couple of pix of the road to the ski area:

Manning Park BC Img_0718

Manning Park BC Img_0719

Turn around and go back down and cross Highway 3 and you are on your way up to the Lookout and Alpine Meadows. On my way up this side I was briefly paced by a coyote on the shoulder of the road. No match for das bimmer. Lots of grouse on the side of the road, and a 3 year old doe scampered away as I approached. I kept a keen eye out for her friends! Maybe the deer whistle on the GS was of use??

Here is a sign only a motorcyclist can truly appreciate:

Manning Park BC Img_0720

And here is part of what the sign was warning about:

Manning Park BC Img_0721

The road to the Lookout is paved and twisty. To this point any cage will get you there.

Manning Park BC Img_0722

From here you climb further into the stunted pines on a washboard/corduroy gravel road, that had my full bladder crying for mercy. Another 7 kms takes you to the top (1963 m?).

Manning Park BC Img_0723

Manning Park BC Img_0724

Manning Park BC Img_0725

Can your see where the 21st Century has encroached on these areas?:

Manning Park BC Img_0726

About 280 kms return. There is a nice restaraunt at the resort for a refreshing lunch. I wish I had more time to hike the trails today, but got off to a late start, so left with a promise to return and do some walking. The GS purred along without complaint, and with the gigantic Parabellum windshield, it was pretty quite back there too. The temperature dropped rapidly as I gained elevation, but I had thought ahead and was able to 'double glove'. This is a recommended ride for anyone in the area!

Next up: Mt. Baker (I hope!)

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

2Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:59 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Wow would I like to be there! Looking forward to more seeing as how I'm missing out on a heap of riding right at the good time of year.
Thanks for posting Clubie

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
At over 6400 feet of altitude I'll bet those 40mm Bings were beginning to get puffed.

Great pics of a nice ride. The Aussie boys'd love the roads round these parts, Clubbie. We just don't have the relative youthful grandeur of the North American ranges in our mountains Down Under, in comparison. It's all ancient, eroded and faded in a time beyond memory. But the Cascades and the Rockies continue to climb.

4Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
This is what the sign really said
Manning Park BC Img_0710

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

5Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aww geez clubbie ...an amazing trek for sure ...i recon old gerty could head up there ...and am willing to try in similar conditions ....one day ..

thanks for the post ...it makes us all, with wunderlust appreciate your little bit of home turf ..

some great pics mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:34 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Ok Rick, do you have some mad photoshop skillz we don't know about?
Very nice sign Smile

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

7Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
rossco wrote:Ok Rick, do you have some mad photoshop skillz we don't know about?
Very nice sign Smile

I am bored outa my mind.
I have so much to do and I can't get to it for at least another 4-5 weeks. Manning Park BC 8157

8Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 am

Life time member
Life time member
Great Pics ClubC. Must get cold up there, even the beaver in the first pic looks like he's wearing a sweater!

Those road signs are cool but Rick's is cooler Very Happy

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

9Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Brilliant ClubC,

I did enjoy those pictures and the GS looks a great bike thanks for sharing them.

BIG D

10Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:17 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:At over 6400 feet of altitude I'll bet those 40mm Bings were beginning to get puffed.

TWB, the Bings didn't complain much but I didn't push them hard on the gravel roads. Some of that washboard was taxing even for the longer suspension travel of the GS. I thought my kidneys were gonna pop like a water balloon!

charlie99 wrote:...i recon old gerty could head up there ...and am willing to try in similar conditions ....one day ..

Charlie, I suspect you could pilot Gerty along just fine through there. If TWB's RS can survive a lap around Oz, this should be easy for your RT. I have no skills when it comes to gravel road riding. Anyone know if there is a technique, or just the 'slow down on corners' approach?

Rick G wrote:I am bored outa my mind. I have so much to do and I can't get to it for at least another 4-5 weeks. Manning Park BC 8157

Rick, you'll have to sketch out the K GS while you are idle. Is your wife still at your beckon call?

11Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
dirt riding on a road bike ....a little clubbie ...just keep the bias of the weight more towards te rear ..so that the front tyre skims the road surface rather than ploughs it ...of corse more bias to the rear brakes is required and lightly touch the fronts ..body "english" (weight transfer off to one side ) is really handy to be using round corners and divots in the road

but i suspect lots of dirt riders knew this already ...our old mate "rickmeister" is an old hand at trail bashing i suspect.

my "toonunber ride" a few months ago got me a few killometers up dirt firetrails in solid bush ...wheel track washouts seemed to be the only restriction i really encountered ...where the depth and width of the track exceeded the depth of the engine casings either side of the motor .....old gerty stoped dead ...and charlie flew over the bars taking the windscreen with me ...tumbling down end over end through lantana and soft dirt of a steep hill ....laughing all the way .... (no bruising or cuts )

old gerty just happily idling away in 2nd gear till i got back ....engine wedged either side of the wheel rut... back wheel sliding in the mud ....

what a sight !!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
That ain't no way to treat a lady!

13Back to top Go down   Manning Park BC Empty Re: Manning Park BC Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, didn't you get a picture? Manning Park BC 177381

Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum