BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

roys

Silver member
Silver member
hi,

I have a 1987 "naked" 8V K100. Rear drive and drive shaft splines were found to be at end of life.
I did find a new drive shaft at a reasonable price, but a new rear drive is very expensive while 2nd hand ones I have seen so far are in questionable state.

However I do seem to recall reading somewhere that a paralever (16v K100?) bike's rear drive will fit on an older bike like mine - "just" have some unuses "extras". And new ones are far cheaper for some reason.

Can anyone pls tell me if this is so? Any downsides? references?

Thank you,
Roy

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
I seem to recall reading this too. But you need to use the 16v transmission, too.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
A friend of mine tried it on a K75.
It worked but the transmission ratio wasn't right.
Yes, you can use the transmission of a 16v + shaft and differential on a K100rt.

can a paralever rear drive be used in a monolever bike? Frog15can a paralever rear drive be used in a monolever bike? Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
hmmm... I wonder if I can get a basket case k100rs paralever and do some swapping. Is it really necessary to swap the gearbox as well and the rear end? Just a thought.

Unfortunately it would only be a start because I would then want a wider rear wheel, tyre ... Smile

BTW here is a nice page on bike suspension including a good section on our bikes:

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Believe it or not, that
can a paralever rear drive be used in a monolever bike? DSC00801

is a K100 RS 2V.

But I think he also changed the transmission case...

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Spot on - transmission swap also required as apart from anything else the cases are different.

I've just swapped in a k1100RS rear end complete into my '89 K100RS Race Rep project because I want to fit a 5.5" 5 spoke wheel from a k1200S / R1150S.

Having bikes with both rear ends in my stable - I couldn't determine one from the other in terms of preferrence [ riding ].

Looks like I might have to do the same with my CR project to get the R1150GS wire spoked wheel in - to be more precise - the caliper and disc.

BTW - that "K100RS" has also got K1100 front forks to take the 3 spoke wheel - as it's got the fairing and other stuff from a K1100RS ??????????????????

Pound to a pincha it's also got 4 pot calipers as well.

THE thing to remember is that when using a Paralever final drive into a bike that never had one prior, one needs to have a place to bolt the front of the torque arm up to, hence the gearbox swap.

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Exactly so TWB, Laughing

That's the main [ important ] difference in the cases. Guess you might be able to fab up some sort of mount, but is it worthwhile?

The other - fairly insignicant difference with the set up, is that your wheelbase will be longer - no biggie. Cool

ssray

That K100rs has std forks, with what looks like a k75s 3 spoke and brackets to allow 4 pots.
Ray

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Wow Ray,

how can you see that? The pic I have is cut off just past the rear edge of the front mudguard - I can't even see the forks [ hence my remarks ]! Laughing

Not sure why the man would have gone to all the trouble to fit the K1100 fairing, side panels , tank, etc. In fact it looks like he's got a dead k1100RS and fitted a 2V engine!

BTW - with ANY luck I'll have the stainless material for the new front spindles to be made so I can complete the 5 spoke K1200 into K1100 forks conversion. We went down the route of simply [?] replacing the front wheel bearings to suit the k1100 spindle dia., but that threw up other issues and would have meant machining the wheel.

It looks like a similar deal will allow my R1150GS wheel to be fitted to the K1100 forks in my CR project - what fun eh!!!

When playing mix and match on Oilhead Beemers a few years ago I noted that the RS & RT models had slightly longer 'torque arms' than the GS & R models. So I swapped them round here and there. Using a shorter arm quickens the steering a bit due to the wheelbase being a tad shorter, and the reverse is true when using a longer arm. Also, the ride height is altered slightly. There were and still likely are a few companies making adjustable torque arms which allow you to set the length according to your tastes.
Here's a formerly written-off R1100RS with taller GS suspension for additional ground clearance and shorter torque arm for wheelbase reduction and ride height alteration, stripped of panels and anything else that didn't help it pass (barely) the DMV's requirements to make it road legal. It was a terrific track day bike. Not pretty to some, but a blast to ride!

can a paralever rear drive be used in a monolever bike? R1100r10
Note the final drive is directly inline with the swingarm. Normally this is at an angle slightly, but the u-joint can take it since it swings through an arc as it absorbs bumps anyway.
can a paralever rear drive be used in a monolever bike? Pir_2010
At PIR, Portland, Oregon, Summer 2003

ssray

Its because i`m sooooo young beachcomber, i can see the whole bike.
Ray

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Ray,

not so much that you are a mere babe in arms compared to me Laughing moreso that I am the original computer dummy. Rolling Eyes

Apparantly according to my girls - I have the wurzzlepixxies set too high - or is that too low!!!! Embarassed Embarassed

I was wondering why I sometimes only get half the picture [ story of my life!] Wink

Anyroadup - how's your playthings coming along???

ssray

My plaything a bit broke until the insurance peeps decide that the silly **** was at fault.
then I can afford to shop at realm!! or I may get something else.
Ray

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum