BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 am

caferacer62

Life time member
Life time member
I have not long ago cut up Saxons stock exhaust for modification and once i had it apart i noticed quite a few differences between both mine and Alby's and the three that Saxon supplied me.

Wondered if anyone on here has any ideas of the different Zorsts.

I took some pics to show them.

This is one of Saxons.

This is inside Alby's and mine was the same.

This is where it gets interesting, mine had a 27mm inner tube(one on the right) and Saxons is about 32mm and the rear outlet is bigger too.

Here are all the bits ready to weld together.

Be interested to see how it sounds once its welded up.

Last edited by caferacer62 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

2Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 am

Strange business.
The actual original stock muffler is still on the bike....these were spares I got with a job lot of other bits including two engines etc.
The two motors are 86 models...so I just assumed.....

3Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:55 am

caferacer62

Life time member
Life time member
Its just strange that all 3 that i got from you are the same. Mine and Albys were the same as each other but different to yours, not sure what year albys is but mine is a 91 model. All yours have the db rating on the muffler at 89db and mine is on the frame tube near the helmet lock and is rated at 92db. Cant remember what was on albys. Thay are all branded Gillett exhaust. Very curious i say.
Are you putting heat sheild back on or want it polished?

4Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 am

No heat shield...silly things they are.
Mate don't worry about polishing it!!
( I vote we whack it on the bike outside the pub)

5Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:06 am

caferacer62

Life time member
Life time member
I second that motion. Be good to hear an angry sounding outfit.
Lookin forward to it.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 am

Life time member
Life time member
Seems strange they're different. It wouldn't be abything to do with motors imported from USA or Europe v's Domestic spec?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick!
Mods: k1100 screen and stands

K1100rs 1995, Remus exhaust.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:20 pm

ReneZ

Life time member
Life time member
Have a look at the numbers on the end plate? Maybe one for the two valve and another for the four valve engine?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029)
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223)

8Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
@ReneZ wrote:Have a look at the numbers on the end plate? Maybe one for the two valve and another for the four valve engine?

4V`s got a quite different exhaust (round silencer).

9Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:42 pm

@caferacer62 wrote:I second that motion. Be good to hear an angry sounding outfit.
Lookin forward to it.

Pulling the chair about makes the bike work a little bit harder of course....which may mean it will run 'on the pipe' a little more.
That would be a tragedy.....

10Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
@Saxon7 wrote:That would be a tragedy.....
Yes I can see the tears................... of joy running down your cheeks now Very Happy

11Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Are you saying I'm an immature hoon?
Well...
Bit late to start growing up at this stage I think.....

12Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:44 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
@Saxon7 wrote:Are you saying I'm an immature hoon?
Well...
Bit late to start growing up at this stage I think.....

No No Not at all, fully matured just like me.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 pm

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Yes I agree matured hoon is much better than Immature, they just dont seem to appreciate it as much as the mature ones

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

14Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 pm

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Are those two stacks just stainless steel tubes or a composit with glass packing?

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

15Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 pm

So, one needs to grow into one's hoon-ness......?

16Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:03 am

Albyalbatross1

Life time member
Life time member
Mine came off an 87. It was a spare. If you wack Saxons on at the pub ill bring the carbtune to be sure its all good!! Smile be interresting to see the difference.

17Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:35 am

This could be a fun ride.

18Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 am

col

Life time member
Life time member
hope the publican doesnt mind us turning his establishment into a workshop

do you think he will get upset if bring the bikes into the bar that way we wont have to walk that far to get beers as we tinker

19Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 am

caferacer62

Life time member
Life time member
Hmm sounds like a plan Col, hows that fairing going by the way.

As far as I'm concerned growing up is over rated.....

This trip is starting to look like a tuning excursion as well as a meet up, I like it.

20Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 am

col

Life time member
Life time member
still collecting bits and pieces still need side covers and a tank to borrow for a while mine gets painted

21Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:53 am

I have two spare tanks......though one has no fuel pump and neither has a key for the cap. Still, you're welcome to borrow one. One is black and the other is BMW turquoise.

22Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 am

col

Life time member
Life time member
i will catch up with you at bingara and we will hatch a plan

23Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 am

* Nods

24Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:14 am

Ed

Life time member
Life time member
I have a complete White 87 RT sitting in the shed , with useable parts. Eventually painting it black or charcoal. Trying to get the sidecar on the LT first.

25Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:28 am

rosskko

VIP
VIP
@col wrote:hope the publican doesnt mind us turning his establishment into a workshop

do you think he will get upset if bring the bikes into the bar that way we wont have to walk that far to get beers as we tinker
Drop a keg in Saxons chair, fill with ice and bring the pub to the car park.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

26Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 am

As I patiently explained to my Triumph riding brother Tim the other day:
No, I will not be spraying the inside of the chair with foam and putting a bung in it for our ride to Vic in December. He seemed unconvinced.

27Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:15 pm

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
You know sean Mature Hoonisming isnt hooning in general its a complicated expression of a competentsy set. really. I see sense in having your chair set out as an esky Perhaps its not to late for col to go get some of that new stuff they make cool rooms out of after all he has just finished his template. Anyone know what the innards are made of in these xzorts

28Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 am

col

Life time member
Life time member
vl suzuki

might just have to stop in on the way from bingara if thats alright

there enough room for a case plus ice in a pannier

but i like the idea of a keg wont run out so quick

29Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:14 am

caferacer62

Life time member
Life time member
Ok so I have now finished Saxons Zorst mod.

I went and got myself one of the small disposable argon bottles and regulator from Bunnings hardware ( gotta love getting vouchers as gifts)

Here is a pic of the cute little fella.

Saxons Zorst tacked up.Rear part.

And all welded up. Heat sheild brackets removed too.

Tried it out on my bike this afternoon and it sounds good. Hope Saxon likes the new note it gives out.

It turned out the same as Alby's but i didn't need to put a cone inside to channel the gases down the centre. Its definitly a better design whatever model they came off.

30Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 am

The hoon is awakening in me.....!!

31Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:49 am

col

Life time member
Life time member
cant wait to hear what it sounds like

32Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 am

caferacer62

Life time member
Life time member
And your fuel consumption will increase.... Just ask Alby.

I think its due to the inner hoon being released and the throttle being applied with gusto. Razz

33Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am

The fuel consumption could be a problem...with the chair attached.

Nah...who am I kidding?? I only get about 150km before a stop these days.

Let the hooning noises begineth!

34Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:00 am

caferacer62

Life time member
Life time member
Wow I thought i was getting bad mileage... I get maybe 250k,s round town and about 300ish on a long run. Mind you i dont change up as soon as i should cos i like all the aural delights that the K emits now.

35Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:03 am

I currently get a bit more than 210km per tank with the chair attached. It's ME who needs the stops at about 150. lol.

36Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 pm

MikeisonTV

Silver member
Silver member
I'm curious how this exhaust sounds?!?!? video post request

Also, I'm thinking of making my stock exhaust a shorty pipe as well as a stage 1 mod (Drilling some holes in the baffling cap like illustrated below) to make her louder. What are the thoughts or probs you guys see coming up with either of these mods?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tW2enFYB6o&feature=endscreen&NR=1

37Back to top Go down    I'd be... on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 pm

ibjman

Life time member
Life time member
I'd be more interested in seeing that welding set up with the little argon bottle on the wall there. That weld looks awfully nice.
It's stainless steel, right?

38Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 pm

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
@Saxon7 wrote:I currently get a bit more than 210km per tank with the chair attached. It's ME who needs the stops at about 150. lol.

I ran my tank out to 275 last Monday. I had a 5l fuel can in the boot for just in case. Worked out at15 km/l

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"money cannot buy happiness, but it can buy another K and that's the same thing"

39Back to top Go down    I need to... on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 pm

ibjman

Life time member
Life time member
I really need to get busy and do an out of fuel test myself before I leave for the BMW rally in Salem in July.
Currently, all I know is that my 4L light comes on at about 140 milesand I usually try to fuel up at 175.
My guess is that if I pushed it.....it would run out at 220-225.
Anyone know? (85LK100rs)

40Back to top Go down    Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Wigwam

I really liked the welding and craftsmanship, but I like the sweet understated sound of the OEM exhaust. The bike in the YouTube video sounded like a sick rototiller, in my opinion of course.

Good luck brother.

Wigwam

41Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 pm

smithy

Life time member
Life time member
Looks like a great job on the exhaust, But by opening the exhaust up you may have to give the engine more air and adjust the throttle bodies to get what a real hoon needs. Also to stop backfiring on deceleration ?

42Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:15 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
I donr need to do anything to my system as in the last few days I got a staintune for both K75 and K100. Sometimes you just gotta be lucky.

43Back to top Go down    Old exhaust Mod Post Re-opened on Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 am

GF Wollongong

As I have a spare $30 stock K100 muffler in the shed, I got to thinking about exhaust mods to "improve" the sound

Back in 2012, one member was posting the changes he had made - all seemed to be going well.

http://www.k100-forum.com/t3622-modifying-a-standard-muffler

http://www.k100-forum.com/t4528-exhaust-modification-things

At the end of the second post, this question came up:

Looks like a great job on the exhaust, But by opening the exhaust up you may have to give the engine more air and adjust the throttle bodies to get what a real hoon needs. Also to stop backfiring on deceleration ?

Does anyone know whether more air and adjustment of the throttles are needed.
How have these mods gone in the long term (ie 5years later)?

Then Rick chipped in with:

"I donr need to do anything to my system as in the last few days I got a staintune for both K75 and K100."

I've got a round staintune on my parts bike. How much better are these mufflers?

Would still like a less genteel sound to make me feel like I'm going faster - even if I'm not.

Any thoughts / experiences?

Thanks

Guy

44Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Thu May 18, 2017 8:04 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Get in touch with Staintune, at Bowral I think, and get them to issue a mod plate for the bike because the powers that be (cops) don't like it without the plate, but they do sound really nice.

45Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Thu May 18, 2017 9:08 am

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
I did what Rick has suggested only last year in regard to the Staintune Exhaust systems on both my boxer and my K1100. NSW police at the time were having a campaign on any after market exhausts on bikes they checked and issuing infringement notices. The notices were not for excessive noise as they did not have the necessary equipment to properly test the noise levels but for not having a compliance plate for the third party exhaust attached to the bike.

My two systems were bought and installed around 1999/2000. I just took photos of the bikes showing the exhaust side and close ups of the ADR plates and emailed to Staintune with a request for a compliance plate to suit each one. There was a small fee for the supply of the plates. Peace of mind.

I just noticed on the Staintune web site that the business is up for sale so it might be worth chasing up sooner rather than later.

Cheers

46Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Thu May 18, 2017 5:36 pm

MartinW

Silver member
Silver member
Apparently BMW got it right with the exhaust, although it may sound better. OEM performs better than aftermarket in the Dyno Tests that I have seen. There was one for a Staintune and the Luftmeister I've found the Luftmeister one. http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/dyno-update/index.shtml If I find the Staintune I'll post it.
Regards Martin.

47Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust Modification Things on Thu May 18, 2017 7:16 pm

MartinW

Silver member
Silver member
Staintune Dyno run how this relates to the K100 I don't Know. http://www.eilenberger.net/k75exhaust
Regards Martin

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum